The iPhone and Daylight Savings Time

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Malakai, Nov 1, 2008.

1. Malakai macrumors newbie

Tonight when the clocks were to automatically fall back an hour here in the US my iPhone started acting crazy. The OS was so lagged that you could not swipe to unlock or even power off. Two reboots could not correct the problem.

Has anyone else in the US encountered this?

Eastern Standard Time - Michigan

Thanks in advance!

2. mattocs macrumors member

I didn't have any issues. I am in the same time zone. I looked at my phone around 1:45AM...and all was well. A while later, I looked, and it was 1:45 again.

Perhaps its just by chance it started acting up when the time changed, or maybe you are just expecting it, so you think its messing up?

3. Malakai thread starter macrumors newbie

Actually I wasn't expecting it. I tied the two together after the fact. My phone has never acted that way and it did not go back to normal until I connected to the USB once I got home from work.

Odd though.

4. cjandnw macrumors 6502

Because of Lunesta, I forgot to set all of my clocks and watches back. But my iPhone3G took care of me. It woke me up on time this morning at 0430 EST and got me off to work without a hitch. All email, safari and phone functions are working normally as well.

I love my iPhone!:)

5. iMetalG5 macrumors 6502a

nope it was fine at 159am as i was watching it out of curiosity... it went from 159 to 100am so it was fine...then i went to bed :D

6. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

I didn't even notice the time change. I woke up, looked at the time on my iPhone and never even remembered about Daylights savings time.

7. Flhusky macrumors 6502a

Flhusky

+1
    noticed no lag or anything unusual when i sent a test email to see what time stamps various email systems would put on it.

8. plumbingandtech macrumors 68000

my Iphone "just worked" and switched.

my radio updated digital clock that beams and updates its info from some atomic clock each night.

Did not.
    :(

Moral: Always trust your iPhone.

9. Randman macrumors 65816

Randman

I had to work a late shift last night and when it was time, the iPhone shifted over all by itself.

10. Excellerator macrumors 6502a

I don't think the time change comes from the phone anyway, I think it comes from the cell provider.

11. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

You are correct. The time is sync'd from the provider network. The iPhone acting up could be coincidence.

The time is internal but is checked against the cell network and adjusted if needed.

12. rtaylor macrumors newbie

I'm having an issue with my calendar. All of my calendar events are now scheduled 1 hour ahead.

This calendar is being sync'd from my companies Exchange server... everything is correct within my Outlook email, but all events are incorrect on my iPhone.

Does anyone know how to resolve this?

I have a iPhone 3GS running on 3.1.2.

Thanks for any help!
    - Ryan

13. rtaylor macrumors newbie

I fixed my calendar issue. This is what I had to do...

Go to Settings -> Mail, Contacts, Calendars

Under Calendars, select TimeZone Support and set that to Off.

All times on my calendar are now correct.

14. Blueline29 macrumors 68020

Blueline29

I changed mine manually before I went to sleep because while I assumed that the phone would correct itself, I didn't want to run the risk of oversleeping. Woke up and everything was fine.

15. Malten macrumors newbie

Worked then didnt

I watched my phone at 1:59 go back to 1:00. But when i checked my phone at 1 pm today, it said 2:00pm on my phone and 1:00pm on my computer. WHAT TIME IS IT ?!?!

16. krad macrumors member

AT&T had an Arizona DST fail, it set my phone to PST even though AZ is in MST all year (we have no DST). I missed church this morning because even though I set a new alarm just in case, the time on my phone was an hour earlier than it really was.

17. stoutdog101 macrumors member

x2 Exact same thing happened to me. If you toggle the automatic time zone switch, it'll fix the problem... Still doesn't take back the fact that I missed church this morning because of it.:rolleyes:

18. iSaxon macrumors 6502a

iSaxon

No problems with my phone. It switched precisely at 2:00am, just as my MacBook did...

19. Shogun54 macrumors newbie

Anybody's check their android?

Both of the android sets in this household were 2 hours off this morning, not just one. Both sets reset the time twice, apparently once on their own and once from the network. I love great technology!:rolleyes:

20. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I'm in the Mountain Time Zone and there was no problem with the change.

21. noobinator macrumors 68040

I had to go to time.gov to figure out what time it was when I woke up. My iPhone read one time, my computer read another and my microwave read another.

22. iBaloney macrumors 6502

iBaloney

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

I turned off my phone before I wentto sleep (as I always do). Woke up, powered it back on and the time was correct

23. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

I was concerned because I use my iPad as an alarm clock and had to get up on time this morning to travel about an hour to preach. I had read about the DST issue that had been reported here so I set the iPad to 4 AM instead of 5 just to be sure.

I didn't need to as both my iPhone and iPad worked flawlessly. No problem at all when the alarm went off at 4 AM I checked the time against another mechanical clock that I have that does not have an alarm and it showed the correct time I then reset it for 5 AM and went back to sleep. :)

24. UserNotLover, Mar 14, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2011

UserNotLover macrumors newbie

Problem With Some iPhones

I was working with a friend who had her new Mac lap top. After 2 am Sunday my iPhone jumped back 1 hour (not ahead) and her lap top jumped 3 hours ahead. My PC was correct and we went in opposite directions. It was like we fell into a little time whirl pool.

Her lap top eventually righted itself and my iPhone came back to EST but not DST. My wife's iPhone has no problem but mine I found that I had to turn off the automatic setting then I'm in DST. Turn automatic back on - back to EST.

Talking to other iPhones users at work and I found I was not the only one. I thought it did finally operate correctly in Auto but discovered that it is back to EST not DST.

My wife's iPhone is working but I did find that she has an older OS version and I believe that is the source of the quirk. She has 4.0 (8A293) and I have OS 4.01 (8A306). I'm guessing some small error was introduced in OS 4.01 and probably corrected in a newer version which I haven't bothered to load.

If you have OS 4.01 just turn off automatic. I'm curious if DST will start in the pre 2007 setting (i.e. three weekends from now)

P.S. It is a wide spread problem: http://osxdaily.com/2011/03/13/iphone-daylight-savings-time-bug-fall-back-instead-of-spring-forward/

BTW: Rebooting as it suggested here did not work for me.

25. UserNotLover macrumors newbie

iTunes Source Of My Problem

I can set time to auto and reboot with everything OK until I sync to iTunes then its back to EST. Computer time is correct.