The iPhone and magnetic covers.

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Tom G., Jul 30, 2009.

1. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

Has anyone used one of the iPhone covers that uses magnets to hold the lid shut on an iPhone 3GS. I'm wondering how much it affected the compass in the phone. Could you simply calibrate the compass with the figure 8 routine and be done with it or did the magnets interfere to much with it?

2. Toshiaki macrumors newbie

I dun think it will work.... I have a magnetic bracelet i wear all the time and was force to stop wearing it when i got my 3GS!... :(

3. feelthefire macrumors 6502a

The magnets interfere pretty heavily unless they're more than 8 or so inches away. You can't calibrate using the magnet because the needle will always pull towards the magnet regardless of what way you're facing, so the compass itself would never travel in the degree range required for calibration.

4. Randman macrumors 65816

Randman

Apple recommends against such cases with the 3GS as they can throw the magnetometer off. OK if you never need GPS, compass or Map functions though.

5. Tom G. thread starter macrumors 68000

Tom G.

Thank you for your replies. I was fairly sure that the magnets in the cases would interfere with the compass but wanted to make sure before I completely discarded the idea of getting a case with them. I have one for my iPod Touch and it works great, and would like one for my iPhone, but didn't get one because of this problem.

6. irbrenda macrumors newbie

I have been using a case by PDO, the Flipp Premium leather case, for my iPhone 3G for the past year and never had a problem. Great case. The flip is sometimes annoying if you use the camera though. I was told by the Apple Store not to use a case with magnets too. Just switched to the Mophie Air.