The Iphone as a ......phone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bazookafx3, May 3, 2008.

1. bazookafx3 macrumors regular

Alright the iphone has so many great apps and uses we sometimes forget it is actually a phone. This summer I'm planning to buy an Iphone (2g) but i just wanna know how does it NOW compare to other phones as an actual phone. I hear such things as 'You get a sweaty face from the glass screen' or 'it just dosen't hold right during a call'
    Personally I'm not a heavy caller its usually just the 'wanna hang? yeah ill meet you there' kinda calls other than the occasion long chat with some people. Also how long does it take to get used to the keyboard? Im a blackjack II user so im not sure if i can exactly leave the tactile feedback (sp?)
    Thank you

2. 2contagious macrumors 6502a

2contagious

to me the iphone is the best mobile phone I've ever had / used. I don't get a sweaty face from the glass screen (lol..) and as long as your hands aren't tiny, you should be fine with the ergonomics of the iphone. I'm that kind of caller, too... and I must say that it's just perfect for it. It took me about 2 days to get used to the keyboard and as time passes you'll get faster and faster ;)

3. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Yeah my iPhone screen does get a little wet from the sweat if its hot out, but that doesn't matter really. Most phones get that though, including my 2 last ones.

The phone is great though. People can hear me fine and i can hear them. When i talk to someone with an iPhone, sound quality in my opinion is better than other cell phones. I give it a 9/10, with 10 being the best.

4. bazookafx3 thread starter macrumors regular

Alright good, that is just what i was hoping to hear. One other question I have is have you scratched your screen? I own an Ipod Touch and i thought they were 'indestructible' as far as screens go but randomly right next to the home button i noticed a small scratch circle (like no joke a perfect circle) was this a simple fluke on apple/my part? Does the touch have less durable screen for the Iphone? or is this some variation of a crop circle?

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I heard the new iPhone is supposed to have a little fan that cools down your face and gives a nice breeze while talking on the phone :D

6. bazookafx3 thread starter macrumors regular

As well as a espresso dispenser and a personal trainer!

7. 2contagious macrumors 6502a

2contagious

I don't know about the ipod touch screen, but my iphone screen also has a little scratch on the right next to my home button. I believe it was the pvc case I bought for it at the beginning. (I stopped using it afterwards and since then I never had any new scratches)... I haven't used any case since november 2007.

8. MacsAttack macrumors 6502a

I guess it depends on the size of your hands, but I find the iPhone size "just right" to hold. Weight is "solid" no heavy. For longer calls (if you know it is going to be a long call or you need your hands free) then using the supplied earphones (with the built in mike) is a good way to go. A 45 minute call to my boss from Birmingham airport would have been a killer on the arms with otherwise - just dial and stick the phone back in the belt pouch I bought for it and keep talking. Gives much better results than a bluetooth headset too. ;)

Keyboard. This is going to be a case of personal preference. I didn't find it a problem. The trick is to "trust" the iPhone. When you stop and think about it you make more mistakes :D. Within a day I could text faster then most of my friends could on their phones and with fewer mistakes. It isn't perfect - heavy text entry and editing is a bit beyond what the iPhone can do (unless they add copy and paste), but that is the sort of job I'd get out my MacBook for anyway.

Been using the iPhone for 5 months. So far not a mark on it. I don't have a skin or protector on the phone itself, but that Incase belt pouch was probably worth it.

9. MacsAttack macrumors 6502a

...and lasers?

10. bazookafx3 thread starter macrumors regular

Multi colored death lasers! Also need a wifi point? I hear a feature like this is included in the new iphones too! http://xkcd.com/416/

11. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

You know, you will actually be able to get a personal trainer ;)
    They'll be about 2 inches tall though, and only live through the medium of film...

12. McGiord, May 3, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2011

McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

The sweaty thing on the screen depends on the person who uses it, I don't get it.

It's excellent (the best out there) to:
    - dial into conference call/ meet me lines
    - you can mute/un-mute easily
    - hold a call, answer another, merge them, etc..

I have been working from home the last couple of months and dialing to AT&T conference lines without wasting my minutes, nothing more comfortable that to use my iPhone with my in earphones to participate during all morning calls, with a regular motorola, nokia or whatever cellphone out there I will never do this.

Buy without hesitation.
    ________
    buy vaporizers

13. 4phun macrumors member

The iPhone really impressed a man riding with me yesterday. I had gone out to dinner with a couple of friends when I took a call from my sick wife who wanted me to stop and get her some take out from another place.

I asked my friend to type the dinner's name into goggle maps and hit search. After he found it, I asked him to open the details window and tap on their phone number and hand me the phone. When they answered I asked how long they would be open as I felt they probably would close before I could get there.

After they assured me they would be open for another two hours I asked them if they could hold while I got my wife on the phone. I hit hold call and then added my wife by tapping her name in Favorites and when she answered I told her we would be ordering in a second her take out.

I hit MERGE CALLS and she spoke with the restaurant, made her detailed order and I told them I would be there in ten minutes and hung every up. She knew I was enroute and the restaurant got right on her order. As far as I know they never realized she wasn't riding with me in the car until I told them she was sick at home when I got there.

In about ten minutes I picked up the waiting package and as we took it home my friend said he couldn't do anything that easy on his cell phone - he was very impressed at my indifferent use of technology for as to me it was no big deal but typical of my iPhone usage.

14. McGiord, May 4, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2011

McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

You should be writing the script for the next :apple: iPhone commercial !!!
    ________
    Mercedes-Benz O309

15. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Thats what I'm talking about. With a few touches I get directions to a friends house or saved location. 3way calling is nice and simple, everything is much easier than any other phone I used.

16. ShamBone macrumors newbie

Pardon the novel

Visual voicemail, call merging and the map -> phone or Safari -> phone integration are all great features but there are notable trade offs made in the iPhone UI.

As much a I love the flexibility of the touchscreen for most applications, there are definite caveats; you can't really take your eyes from the screen when navigating the UI or entering phone numbers or text. While this isn't an issue for most usage scenarios, if you are on foot a lot it poses a problem. With my old phone (a very non-smart phone with a standard # pad) I could make calls and send messages while walking. My fingers could feel around enough and the screen was simple enough for me to keep track of what I was entering while maintaining awareness of my surroundings. With the iPhone I need to pull up to the edge of the sidewalk and really focus on the UI to do much more than answer incoming calls. Perhaps this is normal for any phone with a full keyboard: more complicated interfaces require more concentration to use... Anyhow, I don't have the experience to compare the iPhone to models with a tactile keypad.

Again, this is a non-issue in most situations. Otherwise the basics are well covered. Of course I still have my own list of minor phone-related usability peeves, which may or may not hold up to other people's experiences:

- Low volume on the speaker-phone
    - Over simplified call log (it only filters by missed calls, not made or received)
    - Would be nice to be able to enter the contact list more quickly (it's own Springboard icon, perhaps)
    - Would be nice to be able to use the home button instead of the finger swipe to take incoming calls or unlock the phone

17. MacsAttack macrumors 6502a

Odd. I find the speaker-phone volume fine. Are you covering the speaker at the bottom (beside the dock connector) perhaps when holding the iPhone? I know I did that once :D

The iPhone is still a work in progress. Let's be brutally honest that Apple did rush it to market and their updates are still patching things. But if there is a feature that you want, I suggest providing Apple with feedback. They have added several features to OS X and iWorks that I (and presumably a lot of other people) asked for.

http://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html

I suggest more people ask for cut and paste :D

I agree. Interestingly enough the iPhone SDK includes exactly such an app on the simulator. If Apple do not provide it as part of the upcoming update then I'm sure some third part developer will (it is very easy to write such an app as it just encapsulates the contacts API calls).

I would argue not. The swipe was chosen deliberately to make unlocking very very hard to do by accident.

18. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

The complaints you heard about the phone are pretty much nil as far as I know. It holds just as well as my RAZR did, and I seem to recall it being a popular phone for a long while (it's still not bad as just a phone).

I had never used another smartphone before, so I can't tell you about comparing to phones with physical keyboards. But it took no time at all to get used to the iPhone keyboard. The keys seem to be bigger than they would be on some of the smartphones I've seen (there's a BlackBerry with keys that look as small as pinheads). I'm no speed typer on it now, but I don't really try to be. I don't like to use my thumbs like many do. I just use my index finger on my right hand and type fairly quickly. My brain can't contemplate using my thumbs for anything other than the space bar.

Definitely wait until the 2G iPhone comes out. You might save $200 if a rumor is true. If it doesn't launch in June, I'll be shocked.