The iPhone at the Inauguration

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by carence23, Jan 22, 2009.

1. carence23 macrumors member

carence23

So I traveled from Ohio to attend the Inauguration and it was a great experience. I will say this though, this was the first time I wish I didn't have the iPhone. It was really, really cold and what do we know about the iPhone? It's a touch screen and you can only access it with your skin. That mean't taking off my two gloves and handwarmers to take pics as well as respond to the 50 text messages I received. Once your hand was exposed, it got really cold immediately. Anyways, I have added a few pics.

Attached Files:

2. Tokiopop macrumors 68000

Tokiopop

3. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

Cool (no pun intended). I like that little guy with the over-sized gloves!

4. lavadranzer macrumors newbie

Amazing pictures. Glad to see iPhone at a moment in history.

5. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Funny, I went TO Ohio to get away from the crowds here in DC!

Can someone explain this one to me? I've never seen ANY cell phone that I can use with gloves...the buttons are just big enough for 1 finger, so gloves make you hit 2 keys at once.

So, given that 100% of the phones I've used don't work with gloves, why do people always point this out about the iPhone as if it's something unique?

At any rate, great photos! I'm glad you had fun.

6. Buschmaster macrumors 65816

Buschmaster

How cold was it there? It was probably warmer than here in Minnesota but I'm still just curious.

Very nice to see that you saw some history. I'd love to see something like that.

7. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Gloves that work with iPhone. You can also use your nose to answer call.

The site is actually
    http://www.dotsgloves.com/

8. aaroninoh macrumors newbie

I would have bought a large wool pair, but they're out of stock. Damn it. I have this problem like every day when I walk to school lol it would be worth buying these!

9. Buschmaster macrumors 65816

Buschmaster

I wonder if the gloves are warm enough for Minnesota winters...

10. paulold macrumors 6502

iPhone didn't work for me

I was on the Mall during the Inauguration. The first thing I did was take a picture to upload to Facebook, but no luck. It wasn't until hours later, when I was home, that I was able to get it to work.

At the same time, my friends were all arriving at the Mall separately and we had planned to meet up. Three of us had iPhones. But we couldn't get thru to each other. I left a voicemail for one friend and he still hasn't received it. And my friends told me that the each tried to reach me numerous times.

I blame AT&T for this. Not a huge deal since I still enjoyed the moment, but it keeps happening that AT&T fails me at key moments.

11. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

I saw some footage of Obama at the youth ball, and the sheer number of tiny screens pointed at him (including several iPhones) was STAGGERING.

12. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

13. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

ALL CELL PHONE NETWORKS WERE OVERLOADED at that time due to the extremely large number of people (estimated at over 1.5 milliion people) in the area. The problem is not due to iPhone, not due to AT&T, but due to the number of people. Note that AT&T have brought in extra cell equipment for the event.

As a news web site with overloaded server said in their error message:

"Congratuations, you made it,
    so did the others"

14. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

15. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Think of the Canadians! Oh, the humanity! ;)

16. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

AT&T and all the other carriers warned their customers of this. I read about it the day before, in the Canadian press...

17. andreab35 macrumors 6502a

andreab35

You've got some very nice photos taken there with your iPhone!
    Although freezing, it was worth the whole experience. :)

18. Rojo macrumors 65816

Rojo

Does anyone have these? Do they actually work well? And more importantly... are they definitely warm? ;)

19. MooneyFlyer macrumors 65816

MooneyFlyer

I have a pair of these http://www.flightsuits.com/equip_gloves_usaf.html (or similar to that MIL SPEC) that I use for flying. I few weeks ago I was out and they worked fine. Just checked them again now and they work in the warm too :cool:. I have no idea why -- they look like leather on the fingers.

20. Diode macrumors 68020

Diode

Hahah I escaped town too this past weekend. From reports of my friends in DC that stayed I'm glad I did. 1.5 hours to do a 15minute ride on the Metro? No thanks!

In response to the OP ... there are a few glove makers out there that make products just for that purpose. I believe North Face has a pair if I'm not mistaken ...

21. haddman macrumors regular

Ok, not to be mean, but did you not read or watch the news before coming to DC?? There were expecting an overload on the cell networks, it was not AT&T's fault, there was like 3-4 million people packed into a tiny area. They warned everyone to expect problems with calls, and to only send text messages as much as possible. All the carriers had extra towers brought in on flatbed trucks, but it's just like the beltway, no matter how many lanes you have, if a enough people get on there will be a traffic jam.

22. haddman macrumors regular

It must be the NOMEX material used in the gloves.