The iPhone can't be on the top forever, can it?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by redsoxfan320, Jul 15, 2012.

1. redsoxfan320, Jul 15, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2012

redsoxfan320 macrumors member

It seems that ever since January of 2007, when Apple revealed the rumored iPhone that they have been on top of the mobile game. Even before the phone was even for sale, it literally became the most hyped device in the world. Well its been over 5 years and Apple continues to control the mobile tech game.

But this can't last forever can it? Let's think about the mass popularity of Blackberrys and Sidekicks. Blackberry is a dying brand and sidekick's aren't even relavent in 2012.

Check out this awesome article that explains a few new technologies in development as well as some proposed concepts that can make Apple the old thing.

"The iPhone was a life-changing device for many. Nobody can deny Apple’s ingenuity. But just like Apple wiped out the competition in 2007, any manufacturer could harness an advanced technology that could make the iPhone a thing of the past."

[Article] : http://brobuffet.com/2012/07/13/the-next-tech-takeover/

Tell me your opinion

Do you believe the Apple iPhone will continue to be the most popular device? Or will something eventually come along in 5-10 years and just take over the market?

I think this is a big question because many of us speak of how Apple will eventually have the iPhone 10 but we never consider the competition.

2. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

Nothing lasts forever.

I can't wait for their to be a phone better than the iPhone, it will be an amazing device, at device that has yet to be invented.

For this to though happen the competition need to start innovating, more.

3. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

Apple is not on top now, so what's your point?

Apple has never had the largest mobile marketshare, they just have the single best selling smartphone, which is not the same thing.

[​IMG]

4. Skika macrumors 68030

I really think we have quite some years of steady evolution before the next revolution comes along.

5. cynics macrumors G4

This.....

The question is somewhat invalid....

6. redsoxfan320 thread starter macrumors member

Your missing my point and the focus of the article. The article is referring to the iPhone. I never said iOS or any other reference towards the operating system. The iPhone is clearly the most popular device, both by real life observation and stats.

----------

I just adjusted the question to make it more understandable and straightforward.

7. applefanDrew macrumors 65816

Of corse not. In fact, there will be a day when Apple will not be a company anymore.

8. redred macrumors member

The iPhone is the most popular smartphone in the world today. It has maintained that distinction for years now.

While I do think the competition is getting better with each passing month, I still don't think it has come close to offering a model that competes with the iPhone. Right now the flagships like the SIII and One X have the screen size advantage but that gap will close with a 4" iPhone this fall. More importantly larger isn't necessarily better in this instance. A lot of consumers have trouble navigating a 4.7"/4.8" smartphone screen with one hand and my strong assumption is that a 4" screen will be perfect for many. This will be backed up once the next iPhone becomes Apple's biggest seller to date.

Can the iPhone be on top forever? Well, if you asked me in 2002 or 2003 if an mp3 player would come around to beat the iPod I would have said absolutely and that day never came. While I certainly can't say the iPhone will always be the most popular phone on the market, I can say that it will be at the top if not one of the two or three best smartphones on the market for years to come.

It's impossible to predict the smartphone game in 5 years time. Imagine the discussions on this forum in early 2007. I bet many members said that Blackberry's were awesome phones and the iPhone was not a real threat. It's also impossible to know what OS or manufacture might come along in the future to change the game.

In the near future (the next 5 years say) I feel strongly that the iPhone will be the most popular smartphone or at least in the discussion of the two or three best phones in the world. iOS needs to innovate moving forward but right now there is no reason to believe that Apple will not make the right moves to their biggest money maker. LTE and a 4" screen is a step in the right direction.

9. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

Then to answer your question simply, the iPhone will no longer be the be the best selling phone when Apple no longer sells what the majority of consumers want.

That depends on Apple's continued design prowess and the tastes of the larger buying community.

10. MarcBook macrumors 6502a

MarcBook

Apple's biggest advantage going forward is their ecosystem, in my opinion. In terms of all-round experience, the iPhone's is the most 'full'. The most (and best quality) apps, (arguably) the easiest interface, iCloud and iTunes, and also very high build quality and design.

Apple also has massive advantages in terms customer and developer loyalty over its competition. The fact that Apple rakes in the vast majority of profits in the mobile phone industry reflects that.

Judging from current trends, however, I do feel that Apple will need to step up its game pretty soon. The competition is definitely starting to match, and in some areas surpass, what Apple has to offer.

What I'm trying to say is this: Apple's complete experience is the main cause of success and it is, and will be in the foreseeable future, very difficult for competitors to match.

11. Dontazemebro macrumors 68020

Dontazemebro

I think apple will maintain the the most popular smartphone for at least a few more years. The only competitor I can see coming close is the Galaxy/Samsung line and mainly because their business model is eerily similar to that of apples'.

If it's one thing apple does best is market their product like no other.

12. vikingjunior macrumors 65816

vikingjunior

As someone who rides the NYC subways and is in NYC everyday you can really tell there is a change of trend towards Android. I love when people pull out there Galaxy 3, Galaxy Nexus, HTC one X or best of yet their massive Note on the subway and someone with a iphone in there hand starts starring at the Androids it's actually funny. The look are there face is like WTF is that and why is my iphone so tiny.

There was no way Apple was going to survive with one device every year no one is that good.

13. junglesnake macrumors 6502

junglesnake

Honestly I don't think they are on top right now! Galaxy S3!! No comparison.

14. iHelios macrumors member

A chart showing phones instead of operating systems might be more relevant to this thread.

15. redsoxfan320 thread starter macrumors member

That's all I was saying lol.