The iPhone compatible earbud market is depressing.

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by mcdj, Aug 28, 2007.

1. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

The stock buds don't fit me.

I have the Rivets. Mediocre to ok sound. Horrible cord microphonics. Bothersome lanyard. Almost non-existent L/R markings. Fatiguing to wear for prolonged periods.

I just received the UltimateBuds. They hurt my ears and the lack of bass is glaring. Going back.

I bought/returned the V-Moda Vibe Duos. Ridiculous bass and muddled mids, not to mention no button. They said a button model was coming in August. August is going.

Sennheiser just announced a new crop of CX300 (my favorites) based buds, but none with an iPhone compatible jack or mic/button.

Sony just announced a bunch of new buds, some with a mic/button, but none with an iPhone sized jack.

All I want is CX300s with a tiny mic/button, or something comparable. I don't want 7 feet of garden hose with a rocketship sized mic (Shure). I don't want Jean Paul Gaultier bra shaped flanges poking my brain. And I can't solder to save my life (found that out 1 pair of CX300s later).

There are a hundred different iPhone cases in all shapes and sizes. But there's exactly 1 pair of compatible jack earbuds with a built in mic/button (Rivets), 1 pair of customized buds (Ultimate), and a handful of adapters, most of which offer no button/mic, or in the case of the bulbous Shure adapter, a mic which will be conveniently located at your bellybutton with all but the shortest corded earphones.

There's a bunch of buds with an inline mic/button and a 2.5mm jack...all it would take is making a new jack. I just can't understand why we're not seeing more options. And yes, this is my second post on the topic. I'm frustrated. So frustrated that I bought another pair of CX300s and am going back to carrying my Nano until more options come out.

/rant

2. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

I'm waiting for some decent $99 buds, with the mic and button. Please someday make this? :)

3. WillJS macrumors 65816

WillJS

you could always sand down the prt that plugs into the iphone... I did that with my shures and it worked perfect. :)

4. NewSc2 macrumors 65816

I have the Etymotic er6i's, (had) Etymotic er4p's, and now Shure SE530. With both etymotic's, you have to have a good seal to hear things right, and (imo) a good seal makes the er6i's 85% of the $500 (msrp) SE530's. The ER4p's were probably my favorite out of the 3. Too bad my dog ate them :(

Use the bass booster EQ and practice inserting the tri-flanges the right way. There is a diagram on their website and manual that shows you how to put them in. It is a bit uncomfortable at first but give them a week or try on the foam tips (or buy Shure's flex tips and use those... same fit). It takes about a week to get used to any headphone.

The convenience of the stock iPhone buds is really the best solution for the iPhone (imo). I have the stupid Belkin adapter, I was considering the MPA-3C's to go with my SE530's, and I've looked into every other solution, before figuring out that the stock iPhone buds were the best length and the mic is great. I wear my headphones inside my shirt, so the MPA-3C wouldn't have reached my neck, without it dangling outside. I'm really considering the UltimateBuds, but I'm waiting to hear if anything like those with the ER4P headphones are coming out.

5. Lionheart macrumors regular

Lionheart

I like my bass. Headbanger Audio Ear Subs are my old standbys. My whole family has a set, and we're all musicians (who love bass).

Read the review here:

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/ipod/review/headbanger-audio-ear-subs-earphones-ipod/

You can find them on Ebay, or at your local Best Buy...BUT, you'll need the universal version with the normal plug....which will of course need to be filed down a bit to fit iPhone, but no big deal. For under $30, these things have beat every other earbud I've listened to...included several of the over $100 range.

If you like bass, try a set. You won't be disappointed.

6. mcdj thread starter macrumors 604

mcdj

How much to make me a pair? :)

7. amx macrumors newbie

PM Sent, check your inbox.

8. AJsAWiz macrumors 68030

AJsAWiz

9. AJsAWiz macrumors 68030

AJsAWiz

10. adamjohn98 macrumors member

11. mcdj thread starter macrumors 604

mcdj

12. amx macrumors newbie

Its hard to find white cx300, anyone has good sources where I can find more of these?

13. haub macrumors newbie

In the meantime...

for people that want some better sound and better fit with the stock headphones, i bought these. They keep the buds in my ears and improve the sound. http://www.hdaccessory.com/servlet/Detail?no=17 They could be a little stiffer though, but they do the job for now.

14. Jocko macrumors member

Strange. I bought those and they didn't even fit the iPhone's ear buds. Not even close. They were so loose they just fell off. And since they aren't tight enough to seal around the buds, there is no change to the sound. It would have been nice if they worked though. Then I wouldn't have to suffer with my Rivet iPhone buds.

15. mmccaskill macrumors 6502

I bought those as well. Definitely not worth the money. They just fell off every time I'd take the ear buds out of my ears.

16. crtowles macrumors newbie

crtowles

Great tip!!!

Thanks for the tip NewSc2. My ER-6i's sound great since I enabled the bass booster on the EQ of the phone. I forgot about that. That did the trick! ;)

~Carmen

17. chopper dave macrumors regular

I bought these last month. The earbuds are exactly the same as the E2c, so if you have tried those they will not be a surprise. They sound incredibly clear and don't have that overpowered bass that a lot of the earbuds seem to suffer from. The mic, according to my callers, sounded clearer than the Apple mic, which makes sense considering it's about 3x bigger.

I returned them, mainly because the earbuds are just too big to fit in my ear canal comfortably. Maybe in 40 years when I am old with huge ears I can get these. Also, the cord is very thick, long, and heavy. This is ok when you're sitting down, but when you're walking around it tends to really get in the way and pull on your ears.

The thick cord, huge connector between R and L buds, and huge microphone all combine to form a style that is the same as hanging a sign from your neck saying "I am a huge nerd- please punch me." I didn't actually get punched, but my gf said she was embarrassed to be seen with me when I was wearing them.

18. marxtib macrumors newbie

custom iphone earbuds

I would like the information as well please:)
    marxtib@yahoo.com

19. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

Shure E2c was recently on sale for $39 at Amazon.com. Ordered a pair and the Sure iPhone adapter/cable thing. Still waiting for the earbuds to come, but from my previous experiences with Shure products I'm sure they're amazing, especially at that price ($110 MSRP).