The iPhone Dead/Stuck Pixel Discussion (successful removals, etc.)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MICHAELSD, Aug 3, 2009.

1. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

I have a stuck/dead pixel on my third iPhone 3GS a little more than an inch up the screen. It looks black or red depending on what angle I look at the screen. Since it looks like a different color pixel depending on what angle you look at the screen, I'm assuming it shouldn't be a dead pixel, right? Some people say that playing games should help, and work better than some stuck pixel "fixes". I played Redident Evil 4 and Rolando 2 for a while without any success. I'll try to run a stuck pixel "fix" that flashes through different colors to try to get the pixel back to normal.

The first thing you should try if you have a stuck/dead pixel on your iPhone is this:

http://www.ebaspace.com/iphone-app/#_home

There are a few other methods that some people recommend:

Watch a movie or play a game to try to get the pixel working.
    Apply pressue to the stuck pixel.
    Constantly turn the screen on and off.

Has your iPhone had any stuck/dead pixel(s)? Have you been successful at getting rid of those stuck/dead pixel(s)? How did you get rid of them?

2. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

I remove them from computer monitors all the time usually with 100% success just by rubbing them. Its not instant like some people make you believe but I'll rub at a stuck pixel for a few minutes every few hours and usually in about 2 - 3 weeks its gone and never comes back.

3. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

Yeah, that works great on a screen with glass over it

4. MICHAELSD thread starter macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

5. bakerster macrumors regular

the glass isn't that thick.

i had a dead pixel on my old iphone and all i did was rub it out by applying alot of pressure to it.

shake it, tap it, rub it.

fixed it pretty quick.

6. gigabella macrumors member

Yeah "massaging" the glass doesn't do anything for me. Where the pixel is located you cannot apply that much pressure to get the screen to "change color" .... if I put anymore pressure the screen will crack....as far as Im concerned I've made an appointment at the "genius bar" and will be seeing what I can do (im still under 14 days). I had these "hot spots" "stuck" pixels on my last iphone and it drove me insane and I swapped it out several times do to unexpected price drop on the 8gig and very poor build quality on my original 4gig.

The idea of after 2 years spending at minimum $2600 on this phone I better not be looking at green dots on my screen. The thought alone makes me wonder why I've upgraded to the 3Gs...sure its faster then the 2g but to have even worse build quality then the original phone is just pathetic.

7. MICHAELSD thread starter macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

There actually appears to be dust under the screen that killed the pixel, making it a dead pixel. This is getting annoying every time I use my iPhone. I really don't want to get another iPhone 3GS, it would be my fourth iPhone 3GS, with each replacement and repair related to various debris and scratches on the screen. I wish it was a stuck pixel as I assumed it was at first since I could have probably gotten rid of that over time.