The iPhone halo effect: does it exist?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Blue Velvet, Jul 9, 2008.

1. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

'Its definition is customers who buy an iPod, become hooked on Apple's products and their ease of use, and then buy a Macintosh as their primary or secondary PC'

I'm curious to see if anyone here already possesses an iPhone, or plans to get one, but doesn't own a Mac.

And if so, would you think about getting one after using an iPhone for a while? Or if any people here have already done so? Was the iPhone your first Apple product, or will it be your first introduction to Apple products?

2. FreeState macrumors 68000

FreeState

I think with the iPhone we will see a secondary halo effect. More developers are drawn in and can then developers for the Mac as well. Its really ingenious of Apple the way its set up.

I know several iPhone owners whom are on PC's that are now looking at Macs (they never owned iPods either).

3. razorianfly macrumors 65816

razorianfly

I bought an iPod touch last September.

I switched to an iMac in Feburary 2008

I will be lining up on Friday to buy iPhone 3G.

It exists. :cool:

R-Fly

4. GreenLightJerky macrumors member

Ive been on windows for years and anti Apple that whole time.
    I do not currently own a iPhone but I will some time after the 11th.
    Im already contemplating the switch. More so because some of my friends have converted and LOVE it.

5. Blue Velvet thread starter Moderator emeritus

Good point made about the developers. And the difference this time is that the iPhone is more expensive than iPods which are a much cheaper gateway drug. ;)

6. luckygyrl83 macrumors 6502

My Apple Experience

My first Apple purchase was an ipod in 2005. I was small, a light blue and small screen. I liked the organization, and the fact that it can fit almost anywhere. My next Apple buy was last year with the U2 spec ed ipod (had to finally replace the 1st). I really like the simplicity, and the screen is gorgeous. I dont have an iphone, but will have one by this weekend.

As far as getting a computer, I dont know. Most of my friends around me has a PC, so when something fails, I have plenty of help. I have a HP laptop, and it does what I need, plus some. Its been over a year and still doing well. So, I dont know if I will ever fully switch to Apple.

For right now, am very happy Apple.

7. Joe23 macrumors 6502

*waves*

I owned the first iPhone, sold it and have bought the iPhone 3G this week. I don't have a Mac of my own, but I do have access to one where I work, so I've used it a fair bit. In all honesty, I prefer Vista :p

8. iWantiPhone macrumors regular

yea im getting an iphone on friday, but i dont have a mac. and same with my friend, except, he already has the first gen iphone.

9. greenmymac macrumors 6502a

greenmymac

Lets see i started out with an iPod, then iBook, then iPhone, then Macbook, now shipping Macbook Pro! Ya it exist

10. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

Here's the catch. You won't need people to help you when something on your Mac fails, because it won't.;)

But on the subject at hand, of course an iPhone halo effect exists. I'd bet it's even stronger than the iPod halo.

Just look at the Mac market share growth since the release of the iPod.

11. Syrus28 macrumors 6502a

Syrus28

My dad is getting an iPhone with me, and he has had 3 iPods, with no intention of switching to a Mac.

I, on the other hand, bought an iPod touch, then a MacBook, and now an iPhone (in 2 days) in less than a year. So... yeah, I have to say it does exist.(I regret getting the MacBook, however. Should've went for the MBP, because the plastic on this thing is cheap!! :mad:)

12. wayne226 macrumors member

halo effect

It does exist,last year i bought a imac because of my ipod.
    now i own a imac,macbook,macbook pro,airport extreme ,iphone 8g and hopefully a new 3g iphone.
    i am hooked on apple,watch all the keynotes.
    before my macs i was a pc headbut macs are different class when it comes to computers,they are in a different league , i will never go back to windows.

13. HDJulie macrumors demi-goddess

I'm a hardcore Windows person. I've built a hundred computers over the years. I had an iPod back in 2004 & replaced it with a color iPod in 2005 but gave it to my Army Ranger nephew last year. I bought a Nano a few weeks ago because I like iTunes & the Nano works with my car stereo very well. I got the iPhone on May 30th because of the large screen. I like the touch screen, I like the phone itself, & I like that I can zoom in & see web pages. I'm not very good with the keyboard. I will get the new 3G phone but that will be the extent of my Apple stuff. I don't have anything against Apple -- my sister swears by the Macs -- I just don't have an interest in the products myself other than iPods & the iPhone.

14. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Did you see a doctor?

15. ayzee macrumors 6502a

ayzee

The beauty and simplicity of the iPhone has got me looking at Macs now. But im put of by the price and the fact that I already have a pretty good PC. But for sure my next "computer" will be an Apple Mac :)

The halo effect definitely exists

16. Bernie-Mac macrumors 65816

Bought an iPod, then bought a MacBook, bought an iPhone on iDay and will be waiting in line the 11th for a 3G.

It does exist lol

I had windows for so long and couldnt get why people liked macs so much, i have seen the light

17. albeli macrumors 6502

albeli

I have 2 iPods--a Mini I got in 2005, and a Nano I got this summer--and plan to get my first iPhone on Friday, and I have no intention of getting a Mac. I even have a friend who works for Apple who has been trying since 2000 to get me on Macs with no luck, plus another friend whose husband works for Apple, and I haven't switched.

18. Blue Velvet thread starter Moderator emeritus

I think once you get to that stage of hands-on tinkering, then the appeal of using a Mac must seem fairly remote which is understandable.

I've got three Macs, an iPod... but no iPhone. :D

19. iPaul macrumors regular

My first Apple purchase was one of those Apple iPod + HP fourth generation iPods. My iPod, like the parternship itself, failed. Returned it and bought the 5th generation iPod (black) a week later just after its release. Switched to iMac the following month and haven't looked back ever since. I got a MacBook for college and had an iPod touch, but I sold it and am getting my first iPhone on Friday.

I think there will be a significant halo effect. People will use iPhone, love it, and buy Macs.

20. Smog macrumors regular

well, i got the iPod mini back in December 04. Upgraded to the 2nd gen Nanos in Decemeber 2006. Qued at my local Apple Store for the iPhone for 4 hours on November 9th 2007. Made the switch to Mac in December 2007. Never looked back since.

21. ipodtouchy333 macrumors 65816

The only Apple products I have ever owned have been 2 ipods. I will definitely be buying the 3g iPhone on July 11 for sure. I have been really wanting a mac for a few months now to go along with my new iPhone, but I will have to save some money to get a blackbook.....but hopefully it will come soon.

22. ViperrepiV macrumors regular

23. jwflutterby macrumors regular

I disagree... My husband and I have both built countless PC's from the motherboard up and have even ventured into minor laptop repair... Last year he got an iPhone on launch day (he wasn't hardcore about it, we just went to an AT&T store a few hours after the frenzy to play with a demo unit and they had one left so he grabbed it.) By August he was looking real hard at Mac's and ended up with a MacBook... I drooled over his iPhone but was not willing to give up my Sprint PowerVision data speeds or all the Palm apps on my Treo that I used to do my job on daily basis.. By Christmas though my curiousity about OS X and the relatively cheap price tags on the Mac mini won me over... The mini isn't my primary computer, I won't give up the ability to write and draw right on the screen of my tablet laptop, but if Apple comes out with a tablet about the dimentions of an Air, VMWare Fusion here I come ;)

24. ramblintoad macrumors member

Nope, only like Apple for their phone. Proud PC user.