The iPhone iPod - is this feature in here?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by STC, May 22, 2008.

1. STC macrumors 6502a

I used to use a Treo and an iPod Nano. I recently upgraded to the iPhone and love it. I did notice the iPhone iPod isnt exactly user friendy.

I mainly listen to podcasts. When I listened to podcasts on the Nano all I need to do is push the button in the middle of the wheel 2x or 3x and I get a description of the podcast. Also on the Nano, if I wanted to rewind all I needed to do was push the center button once, scroll the wheel back and I can stop at the exact second I'd like.

Now on the iPhone iPod, I dont know where these features are. I spent a good 30 mins playing w/ it and I cant find the description. And the minute bar is pretty annoying too because the screen is sensitive and the bar is so small its hard to rewind a few secs.

Anyone deal w/ this?

2. doobi18 macrumors 6502

sorry mate,

but you obviously need to play around a bit more.

the iphone ipod is second to none.

for podcast, you find them by default in "more", but you can customize the bottom icons so podcasts is the first button

for rewinding when in "now playing mode", tap the art, then drag the slider = easy

chin up

doobs

3. STC thread starter macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

thx, but I know where the podcasts are. Im saying that the slider isn't as accurate as the wheel on the iPods with the wheels.

And how do I access the descriptions?

4. bstpierre macrumors 6502

I believe you are correct. There is no way to get the description of the podcast and the slider is way too sensitive to be able to scroll back a few seconds out of a podcast that is around an hour long. It is frustrating when you want to hear the last sentence again but the best you can do is jump back 10 minutes.

5. Project macrumors 68020

Some podcasts like the Mac Roundtable put the show notes into the 'lyrics' section. SO you just need to tap the screen to expose them.

Also, some podcasts use chapters. This also gives you an indication of what the content of the podcast is with the ability to jump to those sections.

6. MacsAttack macrumors 6502a

Just press the rewind and hold it for a second. You will skip back a little then release to hear that sentence again.

7. MacsAttack macrumors 6502a

8. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

/\ This works great

9. STC thread starter macrumors 6502a

This doesnt work for me. When the iPhone is vertical and tap the screen the minutes bar pops up. I tried moving left (brings up the podcast list), right, up, and down (nothing).

When the iPhone is horizontial (it goes into that 3D mode) and I tap the screen it gives me the show name and title and how long it is.

Where is the lyric's section at on the iPhone?

Thats awesome, thx!

10. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

If you have any lyrics in iTunes under the Info for a song and such you simply tap the art once and it shows below the time bar...

A solution to having your Podcast information - I suppose if you had some extra time on your hands you could just copy and paste your podcast info into the lyrics section under "Get Info" on that particular podcast.... If you really need it...

Here's an example of the lyrics of Pieces - Sum 41:

Attached Files:

11. STC thread starter macrumors 6502a

I guess theres no default way of having this. I wish the iPhone iPod had this feature, as even the 1st gen iPods have it.

12. danny_w macrumors 601

Welcome to the club. I got so frustrated with the iPhone's iPod functions that I haven't used them since about the 2nd week (about 8 months). IMHO the iPhone is *far* from the "best iPod ever" as they liked to advertise.

13. Vegeta-san macrumors 6502

I used to agree with you guys, until I found out over the weekend that I can put my finger on the iPhone's volume knob, then, keeping my finger in contact with the screen, drag down my finger to as far as I want (keeping it on the screen of course), and move horizontally and it'll still act like my finger is right over the volume knob. This enables you to move much more precisely. Try it!

14. Project macrumors 68020

I disagree with this. It's a far better music player IMO