The iPhone is Great But...Why No UMPC?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lilnyc, Sep 9, 2007.

1. lilnyc macrumors 6502a

lilnyc

School is in session and the lack of my Pocket PC phone apps really matter now. So I bought a UMPC (ultra mobile pocket computer) as an iPhone companion. It also allows me to have a Windows OS again, which I haven't missed but every now and then ya need Windows.

Why hasn't Apple entered the UMPC market? The iPhone is almost there, and I would much rather a handheld Mac.

By the way, this is not a complaint. I love my iPhone.

2. Sobe macrumors 68000

Sobe

it's just not a priority. Could it be useful? Sure, just not something they want to do.

Dumb answer but there it is.

3. bluebomberman macrumors 6502a

bluebomberman

It's possible they're waiting to get it right first. Remember that the iPhone's multitouch screen began as a "Safari Pad" in response to all the money Microsoft was throwing into promoting Tablet PCs. Also remember that an Apple iPod phone was rumored for years before the iPhone actually debuted.

4. ctrackstar macrumors newbie

What UMPC did you grab? Ive been looking into one myself but wondered if I would just fare better with a 11 inch notebook for my purposes.

5. rubeeen macrumors member

umpc is a niche marker imho. especially now with ultraportables being small enough for people to carry around, not to mention the price of umpc's.

6. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

7. lilnyc thread starter macrumors 6502a

lilnyc

OQO 2. I am an online student and I work for a company's online division. It allows me to do so much, but every now and then I want to "pinch" the screen to zoom :D

8. lilnyc thread starter macrumors 6502a

lilnyc

I can see that with the Pocket PC maket as smartphones have equivalent features. I am not aware of a phone that is literally a laptop (or can function as a laptop) replacement.

9. lilnyc thread starter macrumors 6502a

lilnyc

Cool, I didn't know.