The iPhone is like an appliance

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by CSpackler, May 14, 2011.

1. CSpackler macrumors regular

CSpackler

I'm reading a lot of posts wondering why the iPhone is still popular despite the rise of superior mobile technology, dual core processors, OLED screens and other whiz-bang features.

Here is your answer: The iPhone works like an appliance.

It's like my washer and dryer or oven. When I want to cook or clean, they always just work. They don't crash, lag or give me a strange error message. I set the burner to medium and never worry about the flame going out or a carbon monoxide leak. In the winter, I trust that my furnace will keep the house at 68. I don't care how many BTUs it has so long as it keeps me warm. A licensed expert installed it so it has as many BTUs as it needs.

In the same way, when I open my email on the iPhone or send a text message or do one of any other hundred things on it, it doesn't crash, lag or give me a strange error message. The amount of RAM it has or whether its dual core makes no difference. It's like setting a dial and knowing your clothes will be dry an hour later, or your dinner will be cooked or your house will be warm.

Apple figured out that most people treat electronics like appliances. They'll pay a little extra and enjoy it more if the user experience is effective, consistent and easy... like an appliance!

Like an appliance, the iPhone just works.

2. JD914, May 14, 2011
    Last edited: May 14, 2011

JD914 macrumors 6502a

JD914

That was a well thought out post :rolleyes:

3. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

Wow.

It's not like appliances ever go wrong or anything...

4. Simbazz macrumors regular

I was gunna say you've hit the nail on the head OP, but apparently not so these two think.

Yes, Appliances do break, but its usually due to wear and tear rather than anything else.

I agree, the iPhone just works.

5. JD914 macrumors 6502a

JD914

the iPhone just works.

I'm totally dumbfounded :rolleyes:

6. dickdaney macrumors regular

7. Jhingha macrumors regular

Jhingha

Lol, I kinda agree

U should send this to apple for a new commercial.

8. SeaChange macrumors regular

I need a bigger(screen), higher capacity(storage) iPhone then.

9. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

I was thinking the same thing. I want to see the commercial.

10. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

funny, I have had my iphone lag and lockup in the past. In my pre-iphone days, I can't recall any sorts of issues like that

11. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

Funny, I'm thinking the same thing. It "just works"--unless I plug it in to iTunes, which routinely screws it up, or when I want to upload a doc or photo to Apple's own iDisk, or I want ad-free browsing and real tabs in mobile Safari, or...

Don't get me wrong, it's a great device, and I love mine in spite of the flaws. But it's not the miracle the OP is suggesting. And neither are appliances nowadays, as any competent repair person can attest. Of course, they'll charge you for the privilege, at $150 an hour. LOL

12. From A Buick 8 macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

Not only do they just work, but the play very well with my iMac, iPad and apple TV. All of my music, movies and TV shows share and work with zero issues, I can spend my time using the devices for their intended purpose and not constantly tweaking them ( unless I want too :D).

13. jman800 macrumors regular

This is the reason why I switched to iOs from Android.

Android works great, for the first 6 months, then has a steady decline into bugs, freezes and other problems.

The iPhone very well may do the same, but considering it's been working without a hitch so far, I'm okay with it.

This "Stability" of the OS is enough for me to give the up the customization factor of the Android OS.

14. asdfx3 macrumors newbie

Something can be easy to use and more polished than it's competition without having to be compared to an appliance.
    iPhone's are very smooth, intuitive, and stable when compared to a full fledged PC, but finicky, fragile, and complex when compared to a toaster or an oven. The iPhone was actually my first smartphone and I annoyed after the first few weeks because I'd notice lag, problems syncing, or whatever else that you don't expect when coming from a truly "just works" dumb-phone and the hype.