The iPhone's Camera

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Cormier6083, Jun 23, 2007.

1. Cormier6083 macrumors regular

Cormier6083

Isn't it odd that we have never seen the iPhone's camera in action? Makes me wonder if the camera is a piece of crap, and Apple is trying to cover it up.

2. SheriffParker macrumors 6502a

SheriffParker

well the lens is going to be rubbing up against the fabric in your pocket every day, so I don't think anyone expects it to be better than your average camera phone. If you want gorgeous pictures, you might look into a real digital camera.

3. vincebio macrumors 6502a

vincebio

im sure it will be fine. not sure aple would release a product like this with one of the features being so poor. if the isights are anything to go by, the quality should be good.
    in anycase, 2mp is really all you need for a mobile phone. any higher with a lens that size and it starts to pixelate.

with all the 4 and 5 mp camera phones out now, 2mp does sounds a little lame, but its still a huge 1920x1280 in size.

4. Cormier6083 thread starter macrumors regular

Cormier6083

True, but megapixels don't mean everything.

I'm sure it'll be OK, but not good.

5. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

It has no camera button on the case. So think about how you must take pictures.

6. HawaiiMacAddict macrumors 6502a

kdarling,

Take yet another look at the videos. It's one of the buttons on the top row.

:apple:HawaiiMacAdduct

Attached Files:

7. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Not how to get to the camera section, where you must be shown a viewfinder etc.

How you TAKE a picture. All other phones have a button you click.

8. JMax1 macrumors 6502

JMax1

I bet the reason why they aren't showing it is because it also has photobooth stuff, and a video mode which can upload videos to YouTube....

9. oxymoron2007 macrumors member

I totally agree...it's going to be monday's big iphone announcement w/ plans/prices coming on wednesday, and the actual iphone on friday.

iPhone news everyother weekday for two weeks=tourture, though.

10. Photography macrumors 65816

Photography

Hmm good idea, maybe that's what Apple is indeed hiding up their sleeve... we shall see!

11. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

I agree 2mp is lame. Once you bump that up to 300 dpi for printing purposes - if anyone's gonna try to do that- the print's gonna come out around the size of a credit card. So you'll have some good wallet size photos to carry around.:)

I guess you could just keep it on the iphone and awe everyone with your photos that way:rolleyes: .

12. iPhonePlaya macrumors regular

wouldnt it be cool if the camera had the same features at the photo booth app on apples computers i think that would be pretty cool me and my friends play around with that all the time

13. FJ218700 macrumors 68000

FJ218700

like other's here, I'm hoping there is a second, secret camera beneath the screen or home button looking back at you for video iChat. Perhaps the reason why there's been no demo is that the first option when pressing the camera button is "which camera to use".

14. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

At 300 dpi, wouldn't that give you a 4"x6" print? That's a standard size for photo prints, and hardly "wallet size."

15. mustang_dvs macrumors 6502a

mustang_dvs

If you search through the front page stories on MacRumors, about a month and a half ago, there was a photo, allegedly of Aphex Twin, in a coffee shop, allegedly taken with an iPhone (according to the exif data).

16. David R macrumors 6502

To answer one poster, the button to press to take a picture will obviously be on the screen when you select the Camera app.

As for a 2nd secret camera, as much as I would love that, I'm sure we all know that it's not really there. Although it would surprise me if it's NOT there when they release iPhone v.2 or v.3 with 3G.

17. hatcher146 macrumors 6502

actually on the iPhones "guided tour" there was a part where it showed photos that i had been taken with the iPhone. im pretty sure...i might be wrong though.

18. SheriffParker macrumors 6502a

SheriffParker

You mean the iPhone doesn't have any buttons? How do you use it?

19. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Cute :)

Although of course it does have buttons for the more common functions like power, ringer, home and volume. Mildly surprising that there's no shutter button.

We've not yet seen the calendar, notes or camera apps. Perhaps they're still being worked on. Perhaps, as others have said, they'll be dribbled out in the news to build interest every day until sales launch.

In the meantime, it's kind of fun to think up how you'd do the interfaces for each unknown item.

Just trying to get people to think a little deeper about things ;)

Regards.

20. Rojo macrumors 65816

Rojo

Ugh, I hope not. Seems awkward.
    I'm hoping the button to press to take a picture will be the "home" button. I know that contradicts what the "home" button is supposed to be for -- taking you to the home screen. But I'm guessing (hoping) that when you're in Camera Mode, the "home" button temporarily becomes the camera button -- and stays that way until you touch the screen, and a window pops up where you can deactivate Camera Mode from. That makes more sense to me.

21. pr5owner macrumors 65816

the camera is crap, there were pictures taken on the camera that were floating around the internet i think on hofo too, the picture quality is no better than the Razr v3x and rizr z3.

its a cheap cmos 2mp camera, dont expect too much, the camera on the phone should be good enough to do business card recognition though as well as QR decoding. (assuming apple will let other people develop the app for it, i guarentee that apple wont do it themselves)

22. ps49556n macrumors regular

Do you have links to these pictures taken on the iPhone??? I thought so...

A Quality lens is far more important than megapixels. I doubt the iPhone camera is anything spectacular but I don't expect it to be comparable to a ****** razr. IMO the omission of the camera in demos has been to hold it as another surprise for launch day...

23. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

24. z400central macrumors regular

I wonder how much it resizes it when you send it via MMS

25. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

No MMS on iPhone.