Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

a456

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 5, 2005
If there is a PAYG option for the iPhone the iPhone will cost nigh on 600 dollars. And an iPod Touch is $299.

You forget that the iPhone is not subsidized at the moment. People are paying the full price, the price won't go up from where it is. The American price is $399 for the base model (8 GB). The equivalent iPod Touch is $299 (8GB). Now if there was a base model 16 GB iPhone for $350 PAYG ($50 less than the current iPod Touch 16 GB)? Most people would I think be happy.

E

Eärendil

You forget that the iPhone is not subsidized at the moment. People are paying the full price, the price won't go up from where it is. The American price is $399 for the base model (8 GB). The equivalent iPod Touch is $299 (8GB). Now if there was a base model 16 GB iPhone for $350 PAYG ($50 less than the current iPod Touch 16 GB)? Most people would I think be happy.

I don't think apple would kill their own product like that.

IF the iphone gets 32, the iPod Touch gets 64. Otherwise they wouldn't have released it in the first place.

iPod Touch is great, i need an iPod most of the time, sometimes a web browser, and i use maps and mail a lot.

Movies are great for trips, great. The more movies I have the better.

I wouldn't buy an iPhone, and many people think the same.
Apple wouldn't close its doors on the iPod users.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
The OP has a good point. I'm ready to replace my old phone, and I'd like an iPhone, but I've got an AT&T calling plan for $30/month which entirely suits my needs. This plan can't be switched to an iPhone, at least last I checked it could not. Give me an iPhone under $200 and a PAYG option or some other plan which doesn't assume that I live on my mobile phone and I might become an iPhone owner. I'd still keep my touch, though.

reidjr

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2007
The OP has a good point. I'm ready to replace my old phone, and I'd like an iPhone, but I've got an AT&T calling plan for $30/month which entirely suits my needs. This plan can't be switched to an iPhone, at least last I checked it could not. Give me an iPhone under $200 and a PAYG option or some other plan which doesn't assume that I live on my mobile phone and I might become an iPhone owner. I'd still keep my touch, though.

I think some are getting a bit confused.

1)The $200 iphone will likely be a contract.
2)The pay as you go phone will cost upwords of $500.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
I think some are getting a bit confused.

1)The $200 iphone will likely be a contract.
2)The pay as you go phone will cost upwords of $500.

We can't get "confused," because nothing has been announced yet. I think some get confused about the difference between a fact and a rumor.

Crispy Duck

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2006
Manchester, UK
I listen to my music collection (nearly 60GB) exclusively with my 80GB iPod.

Mostly connected to my stereo at home, in the car connected to the stereo, at work connected to computer speakers, and very occasionally with headphones.

If there were such a thing as an 80GB iPhone.... would I still want to use this as my exclusive music player?... and have my music interrupted every time someone calls me? Erm... NO THANKS.

I want my music player and my mobile phone SEPARATE. ;)

Ugg

macrumors 68000
Apr 7, 2003
Penryn
I have a Virgin Mobile plan that costs me $60 a year, no taxes or fees on top.

Obviously I don't use my phone very much but I do need it from time to time. I would gladly have paid up to $30 a month to ATT for an iPhone. However, it looks like neither Apple nor ATT are interested in the non-corporate, non-teen group of adults like me.

It would be nice to not have to carry two devices around, but it looks like that's my only choice. So, an iPod Touch for me.

I'm going to wait though and see if there's a price drop. Maybe in September?!

TheCookie

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2008
Boston
Can't decide

I want my music player and my mobile phone SEPARATE. ;)

I'm torn on this. I really like having separate devices, and it's important to me to have one device that can hold all of my music. None of the iPhones even come close to that right now.

At the same time, I really do wish I didn't have to carry around two comparably-sized items that could theoretically be combined.

Guess I'll stick with my video iPod for now...

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
I'm going to wait though and see if there's a price drop. Maybe in September?!

That seems almost inevitable now. It's going to be a little difficult to sell an 8GB iPod touch for $299 when an 8GB iPhone goes for $199. Apple being Apple though I expect they'll release new models at a lower price instead of simply cutting the price on the models they sell currently.

puffnstuff

macrumors 65816
Jan 2, 2008
That seems almost inevitable now. It's going to be a little difficult to sell an 8GB iPod touch for $299 when an 8GB iPhone goes for $199. Apple being Apple though I expect they'll release new models at a lower price instead of simply cutting the price on the models they sell currently.

I predict the ipod touch having a bigger screen. The size of it won't change but it will go bezel to bezel.

Ugg

macrumors 68000
Apr 7, 2003
Penryn

I hope so.

Even $250 would be an acceptable drop.

lac101

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2008
United Kingdom
In My Opinion, there will NEVER be a "official" pay and go iPhone, the Phone providers like O2 and AT&T couldn't afford to loose money, especialy for people who dont need alot of texting or make a large amount of phone calls.

There all greedy, it just wont happen.

therefore the ipd touch is the ceepest "legal" solution, it does nerly everything that the iPhone does, why pay $30 - $50 a month more?

Tom B.

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2006
London
In My Opinion, there will NEVER be a "official" pay and go iPhone, the Phone providers like O2 and AT&T couldn't afford to loose money, especialy for people who dont need alot of texting or make a large amount of phone calls.

There all greedy, it just wont happen.?

O RLY?

Picture2-1.png

http://www.o2.co.uk/iphone/paygo

OffBrand

macrumors member
May 19, 2008
What could also happen with current Touches is their asking price on eBay and elsewhere could drop if new ones are introduced. A 30 GB video iPod sells for damn near peanuts there.

hinchesk

macrumors regular
Nov 29, 2007
Canada
PAYG option... the second time Apple has surprised me... sorta

Well thats shocked me, but it will probably be sold off for double the price that was mentioned at the WWDC.

That makes two of us. Didn't think I'd see in iPhone on paygo for a long time... i.e. once some critical mass was reached... sell 15-20 million phones+plans then start going after those you couldn't upsell to a plan they didn't want/need.

Rogers in Canada will be getting the iPhone 3G in July too so it'll be interesting if paygo shows up here and what the data charges will look like. I'd pay $500 for a 16Gb iPhone 3G if I could get it without a significant increase to my monthly cell spending on paygo... a few $$ for some data use I could stand.

Ugg

macrumors 68000
Apr 7, 2003
Penryn
Well thats shocked me, but it will probably be sold off for double the price that was mentioned at the WWDC.

Didn't Steve J. say that the maximum price worldwide would be USD 199?

Of course, he could have been telling one of his infamous white lies in that $199 was with a two year contract and paygo buyers would pay an extra premium.

Just a month to go before we find out...

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
OK, so maybe the iPod Touch won't die but in the UK sales will definitely drop unless O2 go with the impossibly exorbitant price option that forces the majority to choose contracts.

Why, can you get 32gb iPhones now?

a456

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 5, 2005
For all the naysayers when I started this thread think about this:

Pay & Go (O2) iPhone 16 GB - £359
iPod Touch 16 GB - £269

£90 buys you a camera, a phone, GPS and six months of unlimited data over 3G, The Cloud and BT Openzone. UK iPod Touch sales will drop. Fact.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.