The irony: same battery life with thicker and heavier iPhone 6s

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Andres Cantu, Sep 9, 2015.

1. Andres Cantu, Sep 9, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2015

Andres Cantu macrumors 68030

Andres Cantu

Isn't it ironic that everyone asks Apple to make the iPhone thicker and heavier so that it can fit a bigger battery and thus have better battery life, yet when they actually do, the battery life stays the same?

The leaked 1,715mAh battery is real (there is an image from the keynote http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/iphone-6s-1715mah-battery-confirmed.1913669/), and this would be the first time the iPhone's battery life does not increase over its predecessor :(

2. Zerilos macrumors 6502a

Smaller battery (if true) doesn't necessarily mean reduced battery life.

3. Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

It's thicker to accommodate stronger aluminum and the capacity 3D touch sensors.

4. bhayes444 macrumors 6502a

I posted a thread on the possibility of that actually being real iPhone 6S 1715mAh battery confirmed?
    I took the screenshot from the keynote video during the 3D touch part when they are talking about the taptic engine.

5. GRANTCKING macrumors regular

I read theyve reduced the size of the battery yet it still performs the same, why then not keep it the same size and get even longer life/performance, I dont get it :mad:

6. bhayes444 macrumors 6502a

It looks like their taptic engine takes up a bit of room in the phone. I'm sure that's the excuse, but I would've also liked to see longer battery life with the 6S

7. Mr.C macrumors 601

Exactly. This is also why it's heavier.

8. flur macrumors 68000

What's ironic is that everyone complains about how they keep making everything thinner and then they make a phone .2mm thicker and everyone complains about that.

9. Mr.C macrumors 601

It doesn't matter what they people will always find something to complain and whine about.

10. Andres Cantu thread starter macrumors 68030

Andres Cantu

I edited my post to include a link to your post. Good eye, by the way!

11. dumastudetto macrumors 68020

It's the way the world works. People will always find something to complain about, even though Apple makes basically flawless products.

12. Andres Cantu thread starter macrumors 68030

Andres Cantu

I'm not complaining about the increased thickness (as I'm sure most aren't either), I'm just disappointed that the battery life did not increase in the slightest like every previous iPhone.

It's literally been the number one requested feature for a long time by a mile, and yet every year they ignore users who want much better battery life.

13. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Is because Apple made their phones thinner at the expense of battery life. Now that they made it thicker, it wasn't to put in a larger battery, hence the current complaints.

14. Hargobind macrumors member

Hargobind

They probably did it so if someone asks "what more can you do to iPhone?" … ta da! iPhone 7…all the features with the most advanced and the best battery life of an iPhone yet!

15. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

They also bitch about such a minimal size difference as if adding that back would allow an extra two hours of battery life. Yeah, OK. More likely is you'd add 15 minutes or so. I find it quite easy to stick a lightning cable in my car.

16. Neebee macrumors 6502a

The RAM also never increased with the iPhone 6 from the same amount of RAM in the iPhone 5 (1 GB). That was a long time ago.

Despite all the OS optimizations, battery life will be an issue but it will hopefully be resolved with the iPhone 7.

Any way, more frequent charging isn't really the answer. That means you have to get a replacement battery sooner than later.

17. Andres Cantu thread starter macrumors 68030

Andres Cantu

I have a feeling that battery life will not be "resolved" in the iPhone 7 or 7s. I'm sure the best we'll get is fast charging (which would be handy) but hopefully they increase battery life next generation, even if only a bit.

18. CEmajr macrumors 601

The 6 Plus pretty much ended the need to worry about battery life.

19. Andres Cantu thread starter macrumors 68030

Andres Cantu

Yes, you're partially correct. Only for those lucky enough to be able to carry and use it comfortably.

20. twittervanitybonet macrumors member

twittervanitybonet

they saving that for iPhone 7 ... They are so slick

21. jrcsh6 macrumors 6502

jrcsh6

It's funny when you realize they leave out details that had been selling points prior. Weight, size, battery, etc.

22. Andres Cantu thread starter macrumors 68030

Andres Cantu

Indeed. Basically if Apple leaves out the details, it's because they don't want to look bad talking about it ;)