The iTunes "Shuffle"

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Gattz, Dec 17, 2008.

1. Gattz macrumors regular

Does it really randomize the songs? I clicked on a song yesterday, and had some songs going before I turned it off. Tonight I click on the same song and I'm pretty sure the same songs in the same order are playing again. I think shuffling just switches up the order, but it still has a set playlist. I may be late on this or I missed something, but does anyone else agree?

2. Jordan the Nerd macrumors member

Jordan the Nerd

I think thats happened a few times to me, weird.

3. backsidetailsli macrumors 65816

backsidetailsli

yeah this happens to me all the time. pretty lame.

4. Gattz thread starter macrumors regular

5. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

Computers are not capable of random behavior. Never will be as they are made today. Period. And once that changes, we'll probably get terminators, so you don't want that. All they can do now is some crazy math that makes it look like they're behaving randomly. Sometimes it doesn't work quite right.

6. Gattz thread starter macrumors regular

:D Imagine something like The Terminator happened. "At least ours songs are being shuffled properly."

7. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

It's just the way iTunes is; if you select the first track in the shuffled playlist, it thinks that you want the tracks to be played in the same order. Select any other track and it will automatically re-shuffle (this happens even if you close iTunes and then reopen it, as it saves the latest track order).

To re-randomise the tracks, starting with that certain track, make sure it's playing and then turn shuffle off and back on, or start playing another track in the playlist then restart the desired track. Inconvenient I know, but it seems to be the only way around it.

8. RaisingCajun macrumors newbie

Happens to me all the time also. You would think that this would be an easy fix. I guess it is not.