The James Webb Space Telescope

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by MacNut, Apr 27, 2016.

1. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

2. OLDCODGER macrumors 6502a

Let's hope they point it the right way, and set the focus to infinity, this time.

3. monokakata macrumors 68000

monokakata

Hubble's issues weren't quite that simple. For a look at Hubble from the inside, check out this excellent book:

http://www.amazon.com/Hubble-Wars-A...F8&qid=1461856466&sr=8-1&keywords=hubble+wars

written by a high-up insider. It's interesting and on some levels, depressing (quality control, for example), and then the mad political/scientific scramble when it became clear that the primary mirror had been incorrectly ground.

One thing that's always stuck in my mind was that Hubble was subject to vibrations when its solar panels hit direct sunlight. This hadn't been anticipated. Yet, as Chaisson points out, in the same building but on the other side of an impenetrable security wall, were engineers who not only were completely aware of that problem, but had solved it -- the spy satellite guys, who had already made many Hubble-class telescopes that pointed down, not up. The two groups could not talk to each other.

4. OLDCODGER macrumors 6502a

Infighting aside, the HST was rushed into service (from a ten year mothballing) - after Big Bird One suddenly failed. And, coincidentally, the focal point of the primary mirror was fine - if pointed towards Earth.

Make of that what thou wilt.

5. SandboxGeneral Moderator emeritus

SandboxGeneral

I saw this on NASA's Twitter the other day. Such a beautiful telescope. I'm really looking forward to seeing what it sees.

6. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

NASA needs to get it right the first time since there won't be an opportunity fix it of something isn't working.