The Kids Are All Right

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by leekohler, Dec 14, 2010.

1. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Just saw it tonight. Best film I've seen this year. What a good examination of family dynamics.

2. Dany M macrumors 6502

Yeah it was pretty good. A calm family film with some drama. Annette Bening was simply phenomenal in it, I'm rooting her for some wins. One of the things I loved about it was that the film had a lesbian couple with two adult children wanting to find their 'dad' but it was never a 'thing' that we are dealing with a family of two moms.

3. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Exactly- it was never even something you thought about. It was just people getting through life. That is what it should be. And absolutely everyone was good in that film. I almost avoided it because I thought it might be a "message" film. I hate that. It was anything but.

4. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Oh that poor, confused, ginger-headed lesbian. Vagitarians don't like sausage! ;)

And I liked the movie for the same reasons already mentioned. Every other movie involving a gay couple would use the gay "angle" as a plot crutch, or it's there to throw in some "diversity" into the film. The same problems could have happened to a straight couple's family, and whether Julianne Moore's character ended up cheating with a guy or girl didn't weigh heavily on the plot. That person really could have been a woman and it wouldn't have had a significant effect on the point of what was happening to their family (although I suppose it was significant because she cheated with the sperm donor, and the sperm donor isn't likely to be a woman).

And if I'm wrong, and people think the gay relationship was an integral part of the plot, then the only message to take home is that "gay families" can have normal family dynamics, and have the same problems with teenage kids, trust, etc.

5. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

You hit the nail right on the head. Great movie.