The lack of the iMac is getting old!

Discussion in 'iMac' started by richard371, Jul 6, 2012.

  1. richard371 macrumors 68020

    Feb 1, 2008
    My 4 year old mac is not cutting it for my D800. Its been a great PC but im growing impatient here. Now they are saying OCT. I just don't know when to buy.
  2. Dillus macrumors member

    Jun 10, 2012
    I know that feel, bro. Been waiting for half a year now, checking this site every day for even the tiniest rumor.
  3. NeXT MacRumors macrumors member

    Oct 2, 2011
    October unfortunately sounds like the second best bet. Most likely they will be released when mountain lion is released.:)
  4. ep2002 macrumors newbie


    Jul 16, 2008
    Funny. I've been doing the same thing. Like watching a pot of water on the stove waiting for it to boil.
  5. Richard Peters macrumors regular

    Richard Peters

    Jul 18, 2010
    Surrey, UK
    I know the feeling. Sitting here waiting for the new iMac so I could retire my 2009 MBP. However I've recently picked up a 2012 Air (initially as a travel laptop) and that handles the D800 files very well indeed, so it's serving as a good stop gap to keep me going until the iMac finally arrives!
  6. Kronie macrumors 6502a


    Dec 4, 2008
    Why dont you just buy one now if you need it. That is what I did and have been enjoying my new machine instead of biting my nails and waiting....
  7. MEGrubb macrumors newbie

    Jun 28, 2012
    7 months of watching that pot...I've wanted a new iMac since last fall too and I don't know what I'm going to do if it doesn't come out this month. I can't progress on Inferno on D3 anymore because it's so laggy.
  8. karpich1 macrumors regular

    Dec 18, 2007
    There's a difference between need and NEED

    Right now, I still don't NEED one. I'm waiting to switch back to OSX, and right now my PC is limping along well enough to do what I need.

    Lots of people that claim they NEED one... I have to wonder how much they really do. I'm not saying EVERYONE that's annoyed at the wait really doesn't need one... I know a few people who's last machine is completely fried and are getting by on an iPad, iPhone, or some other small-screened band-aide.

    But some are taking it a bit far.
    IE: I know one guy that has a mid-range 2011 and is freaking out that the 2012's aren't out yet. Seriously

    As it is, a lot of people admit that the only reason they're waiting is because it's supposedly around the corner. And they don't feel like paying full-price for 2011 hardware if 2012 hardware is "only" a day away. I fall into this category: if I'm going to switch back "soon" I'd rather get more bang for my buck if we're "supposedly" this close.
  9. sukai macrumors regular

    Jul 1, 2012
    there is a nice refurb one right now on the site. I would consider it if it had 2gb memory.
  10. GD.Diego macrumors newbie

    Jul 6, 2012

    Haha, yea I'm in the same boat as well with my 2006 MBP. Its freezes up and lines appear on the screen. Yea, its pretty much hanging by a thread. But I'm sill using it until an iMac update comes out. Do you think I need a new update soon.
  11. RobinHood5 macrumors regular

    Apr 23, 2012
    ive been waiting sense janurary
  12. Seamaster macrumors 65816


    Feb 24, 2003
    Thank God we have a new thread on the subject!
  13. forty2j macrumors 68030


    Jul 11, 2008
    If there's nothing along side ML on July 25ish, then find a good discount on a current model and run with it if your needs aren't currently being met.

    So long as my 2007 continues to be minimum spec for games I play, I'm continuing to limp along and wait out whatever Apple has planned.
  14. Hakone macrumors 6502a

    Oct 5, 2011
    Southern California
    Apple's future direction: More Mobile, Less Desktop?

    Since Apple seems to be heading towards the mobile market w/ IOS and Macbooks, is that the core reason that iMacs/Minis/Pros get the least love?

    If they've dragged out the release of the Pros and iMacs to over 1yr (2 for the Pro), will they continue to drag out the refreshes for these lines in the near future.

  15. Mike Valmike macrumors 6502a

    Feb 27, 2012
    Chandler, Arizona
    I've been waiting since the Thailand floods last fall. As soon as they happened, it became obvious that the prices of HDDs and SSDs were about to have major changes. I figured the best thing to do would be to hold off for a couple of months and let things settle out. And in the general computer component marketplace, this in fact occurred as expected. It stood to reason that Apple's historic refresh frequency of the iMac would keep its pricing in line with those market changes, but the refresh has not occurred. Even today, a 2011 iMac demands $750 for a CTO upgrade to a 256GB SSD plus 2TB HDD, which is downright laughable. And THAT is why I did not buy, but am ready to buy a refreshed model. I found the CTO price updates to the MBP at the WWDC refresh to be within expected norms, so if the 2012 iMac CTOs are priced similarly, it's all good. Any time they're ready to shut up and take my money...
  16. nambuccaheadsau macrumors 68000


    Oct 19, 2007
    Nambucca Heads Australia
    Thought well known Mac author David Pogue advised release of iMacs would be with Mac Pro next year?
  17. harcosparky macrumors 68020

    Jan 14, 2008

    We're running images from 39-50 Megapixel Hassleblads on the current top end 27" model so in reality there is no need for you to wait ... AT ALL !


    It is literally just around the corner ...... down the street and around the corner.

    Question is this, how long is that darn street! :D
  18. thekev macrumors 604


    Aug 5, 2010
    It's annoying buying the old thing that you could have purchased long ago. If it didn't warrant the upgrade then, it probably doesn't now. USB3 will be a nice addition.

    That's probably a gpu or power inverter issue. They went kind of cheap on display parts with some of those.

    The HDD manufacturers were actually posting high profits too. The flooding obviously pushed prices up, but there's no motivation for the manufacturers to push it back down. If things are selling at the higher price points, they'll tend to hang there.
  19. Lancer macrumors 68020


    Jul 22, 2002
    1) For me it's a big investment, something I only do every 5 or more years so I want it to last a long time.

    2) I don't want 'outdated' technology, if Apple were discounting the current iMac that would be a different story but we're paying the same now as we were in May 2011.

    3) I want USB3 as it will be the main method to connect external drives in the next few years, TB is just too expensive right now.
  20. forty2j macrumors 68030


    Jul 11, 2008
    I love how everyone remembers the headline but not the correction. This statement was clarified by Apple to be just referring to the Mac Pros.
  21. Lancer macrumors 68020


    Jul 22, 2002
    Also it's not likely that after so long to 'upgrade' the Pro that they would add USB3 and TB before 2013 and a redesign. I'm still thinking any new Pro will mostly be internal, I doubt we'll see a new case as the current one has been around since the first G5 PPC, apart from a 2nd DVD and different port layouts.
  22. CycloneX, Jul 6, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2012

    CycloneX macrumors newbie

    Jun 13, 2012
    I thought this forum was dedicated to the iMac wait :eek:
  23. lozpop macrumors 6502

    Mar 6, 2006
    If you plan to buy an iMac and keep it for at least 4 years (maybe to work with it), how could you buy now a machine that is more than one year old and that doesn't have USB3?

Share This Page