Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jeremiah256

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2008
Southern California
Every so often I see threads asking if the Ipad can replace a laptop, something I've been wondering a bit myself. Today I can a conference/course event about some training I'm doing with a big assignment submission, resources on the web pulled from lots of different sites, several other supporting documents etc. I thought I'd just take the Ipad, since my classroom is being used for exams I've started doing work on there rather than trying to find and log into a windows machine. Also took a little Anker bluetooth keyboard.

Managed to easily add to the word document submission, keep notes in onenote on resources, clip pdfs and web links into onenote, reference PDFs on dropbox, keep up with work emails in outlook and remote desktop into my work login to access some files with the ipad no problem at all. On my table of 6, people slowly drifted to the edges of the room to find plugs, when we finished I'd had the ipad running all day, was the only one still not needing a plug and had 41% power left!

Amazing thing is this is a 32gb Ipad air1, so I didn't even have the true multitasking, just used slide over a bit with onenote and word and tabbing between apps and managed fine, though true multitasking would have been nice to have on a few occasions.

So if anyones wondering, at least for that type of work, ipad instead of a laptop works fine. I'd put them about even, Ipads battery and portability is a big plus and being able to really quickly snap pictures of slides/documents is handy, but not being able to have web/word open side by side was inconvenient a few times; waiting for the next Ipad pro 9-10" before I upgrade for that functionality.
And this scenario is where the iPad Pro shines, especially since you can edit and add hand-drawn notes and graphs to your documents. I've been in work situations where it was better to use an iPad Pro than a traditional computer.

jonjenkins

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2016
Wales
One reason that iPad sales have dropped is that, for many people, the older versions are already "good enough". The majority of tablets get used for a bit of browsing, email, social apps, and watching video. Most iPads have been designed and built pretty well, and they still do a good job. My iPhone 5S is still doing a good job too - I may decide to replace it next year, because I could do with more storage space and a better camera. I think the same happens with iPads - I've owned a couple, and will probably get another one this year, but I won't be too worried if it's not "this year's technology".

case2001

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2010
One reason that iPad sales have dropped is that, for many people, the older versions are already "good enough". The majority of tablets get used for a bit of browsing, email, social apps, and watching video. Most iPads have been designed and built pretty well, and they still do a good job. My iPhone 5S is still doing a good job too - I may decide to replace it next year, because I could do with more storage space and a better camera. I think the same happens with iPads - I've owned a couple, and will probably get another one this year, but I won't be too worried if it's not "this year's technology".
I believe you hit the nail on the head. The reason the sales have dropped is because the older iPads are still functional for the intended purposes. These are great devices from the beginning and have long life spans.

I enjoy having the best of 2 devices. If I need my laptop handoff works great to get what I need done and when I don't I grab my iPad.

It is not about the device, it's about the right tool for the job.

Reactions: DNichter

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Jan 29, 2010
One reason that iPad sales have dropped is that, for many people, the older versions are already "good enough". The majority of tablets get used for a bit of browsing, email, social apps, and watching video.
Wouldn't this be true of MacBooks as well; MacBook sales are not declining

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
Not sure about direct file management, I use dropbox pretty much like an ipad file system and it takes up no native storage and I can access it online and on my PC, so it seems like a better option in some ways.

Except when you don't have a good internet connection, or you run out of space and don't want to pay for more.

case2001

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2010
Wouldn't this be true of MacBooks as well; MacBook sales are not declining

The new MacBooks are smaller, lighter and more powerful. You have 3 new reasons to buy a MacBook.

The iPads are more powerful and faster but there is software lag. The applications are not pushing the platform.

As iOS grows, applications will push the platform. The applications will become more useful and powerful.

There will always be Mac OS for those that need low level access, but there is is no replacement for my iPad. My MacBook Air cannot replace my iPad. I can't hand write notes. Carry it in one hand as I walk around. Easily move to the best reading viewing angle. I cannot use my MacBook Air standing up.

But really I love them both

Reactions: 0989383

skaertus

macrumors 601
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil
The iPad is not a laptop replacement. It is a different thing. It cannot do all the things a laptop can, but it can do some things very well. And it has evolved over time.

I had two iPads. The first one was the new iPad (3rd gen), which I bought back in 2012. The second is the 9.7-inch iPad Pro, which I bought in 2016. In four years, the tablet has evolved a lot. It is faster, the apps have evolved, and the pen and the keyboard provide much better interaction.

However, it still falls short of being a good laptop replacement. Here are some possible reasons for that:

• There is no file system. Each app has its own way to save documents in the iPad, and there is no file system to rely on.
  • Poor apps. Apps tend to be cheap and, therefore, they are usually very simple and it seems like there is not much effort in developing them to become robust and fully featured.
  • No mouse support. Yes, there is no point-and-click. The pen is very good, but a pointer is more precise for some tasks.
It is unlikely that Apple will modify these issues in the short term. However, they seem to me to be crucial to get the iPad to do some serious work. It has evolved, and it will continue evolving, but not in a very fast pace.

The way I see it, the iPad will either become a laptop replacement or die. The iPhone (and other top smartphones) are already very good at browsing the web, and doing simple tasks. And the iPhone Plus is big enough for comfortably browsing the web. People will not keep buying iPads just for that.

And people will probably not keep buying the iPad to be an in-between. People will not carry an iPad and a laptop. Even if the iPad is light, it is even lighter not to carry one, if a laptop is required anyway to do any complex task. Either the iPad will evolve or it will disappear, because it does not do things which are really necessary and which people cannot live without.

Apple is probably aware of that. Apple is a USD 800 billion company whose revenues are about 70% represented by one single product (the iPhone). This is iPad's fault, as its business has been shrinking. The iPad used to represent more of Apple's business, but it is at only 7% now.

Reactions: sdz

prospervic

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2007
NYC
The responses here are all over the map, mainly because the original question leaves quite a bit open to interpretation. Those whose primary computer is a laptop are reading the question as "can an iPad replace my (Mac or Windows) computer?" I would agree with them that the iPad, as it stands today, cannot completely do so.

However, in my case, once I sold my 15" MacBook Pro and bought a 5K iMac (Apple Certified refurb - the best way to go, IMO) my 12.9" iPad Pro became my de-facto laptop. This does work beautifully as a laptop replacement because I have a powerful Mac at home for "heavy lifting" computing tasks.
Also, I've found it far more pleasant to use iOS (on that big, beautiful 12.9" screen) when on-the-go, and leave the relative complexity of macOS at home. (And on those rare occasions where I do need macOS while I'm out, I can always remote into the iMac via Parallels Access.)

Reactions: BarracksSi

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
It depends what you use a laptop for.

I am seriously considering an iPad as a laptop replacement, but that's because I'm not trying to get back to 1 device any more.

Laptops for me used to be a case of trying to fit all my uses into one machine.

Buying an iPad and a desktop will give me a better portable device with better battery life when not at a desk, plus a more powerful machine for when i am doing serious work at a desk.

Given the ridiculous pricing on laptops at the moment (MBP 2016, Surface Book, etc.) - i don't see the point.

I can buy a desktop and an iPad for less/or similar money and get 2 devices that give me better performance and better portability. Just not at the same time, but then - i'm not trying to do the things i use a desktop for when i'm on the couch or on aircraft, or in a boardroom meeting, am I?

So yeah. Whilst the iPad can't do everything a laptop can do - it can do most of the things i want a laptop for, and a desktop does the other things a lot better than a laptop.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jodiuh

kasakka

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2008

I have still found no reason to upgrade my iPad Air 2. When paired with a physical keyboard I think it works sufficiently well as a laptop replacement for everyday tasks that are not too advanced. For example on vacations I take it with me and so far have been able to do most things I need just fine.

However, I would never be able to use it for work (web developer). It simply doesn't have the filesystem, support for the software I need etc. I would rather have a Surface Pro for that. I would be the first to buy an iPad Pro that runs OSX but I don't want one with iOS unless they significantly improve it for tablet use. Which I just don't see happening with Apple's focus on the iPhone.

case2001

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2010
I have still found no reason to upgrade my iPad Air 2. When paired with a physical keyboard I think it works sufficiently well as a laptop replacement for everyday tasks that are not too advanced. For example on vacations I take it with me and so far have been able to do most things I need just fine.

However, I would never be able to use it for work (web developer). It simply doesn't have the filesystem, support for the software I need etc. I would rather have a Surface Pro for that. I would be the first to buy an iPad Pro that runs OSX but I don't want one with iOS unless they significantly improve it for tablet use. Which I just don't see happening with Apple's focus on the iPhone.
The iPad is not a laptop replacement. It is a different thing. It cannot do all the things a laptop can, but it can do some things very well. And it has evolved over time.

I had two iPads. The first one was the new iPad (3rd gen), which I bought back in 2012. The second is the 9.7-inch iPad Pro, which I bought in 2016. In four years, the tablet has evolved a lot. It is faster, the apps have evolved, and the pen and the keyboard provide much better interaction.

However, it still falls short of being a good laptop replacement. Here are some possible reasons for that:

• There is no file system. Each app has its own way to save documents in the iPad, and there is no file system to rely on.
  • Poor apps. Apps tend to be cheap and, therefore, they are usually very simple and it seems like there is not much effort in developing them to become robust and fully featured.
  • No mouse support. Yes, there is no point-and-click. The pen is very good, but a pointer is more precise for some tasks.
It is unlikely that Apple will modify these issues in the short term. However, they seem to me to be crucial to get the iPad to do some serious work. It has evolved, and it will continue evolving, but not in a very fast pace.

The way I see it, the iPad will either become a laptop replacement or die. The iPhone (and other top smartphones) are already very good at browsing the web, and doing simple tasks. And the iPhone Plus is big enough for comfortably browsing the web. People will not keep buying iPads just for that.

And people will probably not keep buying the iPad to be an in-between. People will not carry an iPad and a laptop. Even if the iPad is light, it is even lighter not to carry one, if a laptop is required anyway to do any complex task. Either the iPad will evolve or it will disappear, because it does not do things which are really necessary and which people cannot live without.

Apple is probably aware of that. Apple is a USD 800 billion company whose revenues are about 70% represented by one single product (the iPhone). This is iPad's fault, as its business has been shrinking. The iPad used to represent more of Apple's business, but it is at only 7% now.

I understand your point about the iPad being a different device. I agree. But I don't think the iPad is really ever going to replace an unrestricted computer. It is a mobile device which is design for dead simple access. Individual apps my be developed for activities which a laptop can perform, but the iPad supposed to isolate the user from the low level issues.

I think of it like the older British sports cars. Most if not all came with a small tool pouch to work on the car. There are plenty of people today who still work on their cars for pleasure/hobby or career. However, the majority of people do not not want a car which has to be worked on. The car needs to be reliable/ long lasting and economical. There will always be a need for some type of Mac OS but in the long run most people will not need or want that.

alecgold

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2007
NLD
Two things needed. Direct file management (without having to go to the cloud or through iTunes) and Mouse/Trackpad support. If they include these things in iOS 11, that would truly give us what we want to make the iPad a laptop replacement.

Luckily more people (than just myself) want this: File browser/ file system is badly needed. I cannot even start to understand how someone does not see that need. They can of course keep the cloud, but I want to transfer files directly, and without the cumbersome iTunes software. Without a file browser a computer is artificially compromised.

It doesn't need trackpad/mouse support because it is mainly a touchscreen device. But the file system is badly lacking. Handling files on an iPad is awful and heavy-handed.
IPad sales have dropped by 50% in the last few years, that shows that people feel the newer iPads cannot offer them sth decisively new. Processor speed will not cut it. A better screen with low reflections and superior color maybe. But they probably feel those tablets cannot do enough. A phone with iOS is at least a phone, and as such can do WhatsApp. An iPad has the same OS, minus phone calls and WhatsApp and pocketable size.
If they don't give the iPad users more control, iPads will become more and more irrelevant.

+1 I share this view.
In my case it won't ever replace a laptop w/o a file system/management.

For once and for all, if you use Dropbox, the Dropbox.app is your file system, you can open word documents from word, spreadsheets from excel etc etc. Just like all the other cloud services.

Or you can open the files from Documents 5
What do you need a finder for if you can do everything with documents5? add a WebDAV, One drive, office 365, google drive, ftp, sftp, yandex or box link and hey presto, your file system is working. It can also manage local files on the iPad.

iOS isn't macOS, it's never was to be, and I hope it never is going to be.

So once and for all, if you don't know how, try google, try macrumors or dozens of other apple oriented websites. Ask, try, experiment.
But stop whining about a file explorer/finder/file system. It makes you look ignorant/stupid/trolling.

/rant

Reactions: Jodiuh and throAU

CmdrLaForge

macrumors 601
Feb 26, 2003
around the world
It doesn't need trackpad/mouse support because it is mainly a touchscreen device. But the file system is badly lacking. Handling files on an iPad is awful and heavy-handed.
IPad sales have dropped by 50% in the last few years, that shows that people feel the newer iPads cannot offer them sth decisively new. Processor speed will not cut it. A better screen with low reflections and superior color maybe. But they probably feel those tablets cannot do enough. A phone with iOS is at least a phone, and as such can do WhatsApp. An iPad has the same OS, minus phone calls and WhatsApp and pocketable size.
If they don't give the iPad users more control, iPads will become more and more irrelevant.
I still feel iPads are a perfect lean back device to read the news and stuff like that. IPad for 299 is great and people will keep on buying. They still sell 3 x as Macs.

Reactions: Jodiuh

case2001

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2010
For once and for all, if you use Dropbox, the Dropbox.app is your file system, you can open word documents from word, spreadsheets from excel etc etc. Just like all the other cloud services.

What do you need a finder for if you can do everything with documents5? add a WebDAV, One drive, office 365, google drive, ftp, sftp, yandex or box link and hey presto, your file system is working. It can also manage local files on the iPad.

So once and for all, if you don't know how, try google, try macrumors or dozens of other apple oriented websites. Ask, try, experiment.
But stop whining about a file explorer/finder/file system. It makes you look ignorant/stupid/trolling.

/rant

Good point!

I believe Microsoft One drive and Readdle both have similar features so you are not limited only to DropBox.

I think we are a victims of habit and unwilling to change sometimes. Cloud storage is unlimited and in many ways better.

Ulenspiegel

macrumors 68040
Nov 8, 2014
Land of Flanders and Elsewhere

/rant
You have a very limited or shall I say primitive view on the essence and advantages of file system/management. To borrow your words "it makes you look ignorant and stupid".
I almost forgot, it was not a rant just an opinion.

Last edited:
Reactions: sdz and ABC5S

alecgold

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2007
NLD
You have a very limited or shall I say primitive view on the essence and advantages of file system/management. To borrow your words "it makes you look ignorant and stupid".
I almost forgot, it was not a rant just an opinion.

Might be, but tell me, what can't you do, Dyl Ulenspeghel?

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Good point!

I believe Microsoft One drive and Readdle both have similar features so you are not limited only to DropBox.

I think we are a victims of habit and unwilling to change sometimes. Cloud storage is unlimited and in many ways better.

Except when Internet service is unavailable, low quality/bandwidth, or pricey. I've run into all of the above while travelling so I take my laptop with me.

alecgold

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2007
NLD
Except when Internet service is unavailable, low quality/bandwidth, or pricey. I've run into all of the above while travelling so I take my laptop with me.
Cloud services can keep a local copy on your iPad, you know. I've got 200.000 files on mine and I don't need a internet connection to access those. And with a 256Gb there is plenty of space for most people.
[doublepost=1495307201][/doublepost]
Let me once again borrow your golden words to answer your original question what a file system management is capable of:
Yes, keep quoting, it makes for a good discussion.
It seems like I hit a nerve as you can't give any example.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Cloud services can keep a local copy on your iPad, you know. I've got 200.000 files on mine and I don't need a internet connection to access those. And with a 256Gb there is plenty of space for most people.

I am aware of that and make use of it. But when am moving many GBs of photos & videos on a daily basis while traveling, the iPad is too inefficient (as are cloud services when they are available). Nor do I care for editing photos & video on an iPad but that is a personal preference on s/w and pointing tools.

Reactions: Ulenspiegel

alecgold

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2007
NLD
I am aware of that and make use of it. But when am moving many GBs of photos & videos on a daily basis while traveling, the iPad is too inefficient (as are cloud services when they are available)...
True, absolutely true!
There might be a solution to move them with lightning+usb-sticks, or via sd-cards, you could set up a local wifi and airdrop them, you could use a lightning-USB-3 dongle, use a lightning-USB-3-Ethernet dongle, but I think that is a wrought and not reliable way.
For such cases a laptop is much more useful.

But that doesn't make a good argument against a file system. It's an argument for more ports on an iPad (which I personally wouldn't prefer) but doesn't say anything about handling large amount of files/data on a daily basis.

Ulenspiegel

macrumors 68040
Nov 8, 2014
Land of Flanders and Elsewhere
..Yes, keep quoting, it makes for a good discussion.It seems like I hit a nerve as you can't give any example.
Don't think too much of yourself, especially with an "NLD" (Nonverbal Learning Disorder) under your avatar.
Follow your own advice that you kindly spread here, i.e. "try google, try macrumors or dozens of other apple oriented websites."

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
True, absolutely true!
There might be a solution to move them with lightning+usb-sticks, or via sd-cards, you could set up a local wifi and airdrop them, you could use a lightning-USB-3 dongle, use a lightning-USB-3-Ethernet dongle, but I think that is a wrought and not reliable way.
For such cases a laptop is much more useful.

But that doesn't make a good argument against a file system. It's an argument for more ports on an iPad (which I personally wouldn't prefer) but doesn't say anything about handling large amount of files/data on a daily basis.

I'm not arguing against a file system - I want a file system for my photos & videos when traveling as I use it for sorting and processing as I go along. I also do a mirror backup of the same to a portable HDD while on the road. The HDD then works for fast transfer into my system when I get home.

I do like the iPad for a lot of things but for this particular use case I prefer a laptop for overall efficiency and ease of use.

Reactions: Ulenspiegel
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.