Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

New adventure game "The Last Campfire" has arrived on Apple Arcade. The title comes from Hello Games, creators of "No Man's Sky," and tells the story of "a lost ember trapped in a puzzling place, searching for meaning and a way home."

ss_36f91636cd9cc1c8929ea3e9ba1e3d7ae1a75bb9.1920x1080.jpg

The game follows the journey through wilderness "filled with lost folk, strange creatures, and mysterious ruins," in the hope of lighting the last campfire. The "storybook world" setting of the game allows for the exploration of unique, atmospheric environments and unusual characters.

The story is said to be "intimate and beautiful," with the creative team aiming to make "an artistically focused single-player adventure game."

The Last Campfire was first announced in December 2018, and is now launching on PC, PS4, Nintendo Switch, and Xbox One, in addition to Apple Arcade.

This month has seen Apple Arcade gain several new titles, including "Samurai Jack: Battle Through Time," "Next Stop Nowhere," and "Game of Thrones: A Tale of Crows."

Article Link: 'The Last Campfire' Comes to Apple Arcade

iisdan

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2010
Is this a game or is it an anime that you need to keep tapping to continue the story like a broken VHS player where it keeps pausing every 2 seconds? I don't see any justification to being a game

Reactions: opeter and Antes

Marbles1

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2011
Oh Apple.

It’s like they’re run by people who are over the hill with their best days behind them.

the hardware is good.
Mac OS is mostly good.
Apple Music is average since they webified it.

everyting else is bland.

Last edited:

newyorksole

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
Oh Apple.

It’s like they’re run by people who are over the hill with their best days behind them.

the hardware is good.
Mac OS is mostly good.
aplle music, is average since they webified it.

everyting else is bland.

I’d say the hardware/software/support/ecosystem/retail are all excellent.

What other company has great hardware, a great OS, great services, awesome stores etc.?

Unfortunately not everything can be a homerun. I do wonder if they’ll step up their efforts with Arcade and News. Definitely room for improvement.

Scipster

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2020
Does anyone know how long the period of exclusivity is for Apple Arcade games? I'd like to get the game on iOS, but I prefer to purchase rather than subscribe. I am thinking of purchasing the game on Nintendo Switch for $14.99 (or likely sub $7.99 during Winter Sales) instead of making monthly payments of $4.99. I'm hoping this game goes on sale so all consumers can enjoy!

canesalato

Cancelled
Jan 31, 2010
Another game that Epic paid to not launch on Steam... for customer choice.

Oh, I see what you mean (it launched one year later on Steam).
From my point of view, exclusives (temporary in this case) are a good thing. They allow game developers to get good deals and, sometimes, some additional safety, in case sales end up being not as good as expected. This is especially important for more experimental titles. In any case, it's their (developers) choice.

As opposed to having only one store where you adapt or...get removed from the store and then you are out of the platform.
And I say this as a Steam user.

ps: Apple does the same with games on the Arcade, they are exclusive on mobile. I see nothing wrong with that.

@ bayelrey80 : please put a thumb down here too :p

Last edited:

4jasontv

Suspended
Jul 31, 2011
Oh, I see what you mean. From my point of view, exclusives are a good thing. They allow game developers to get good deals in exchange. It's their choice. As opposed to having only one platform where you adapt or...get removed from the store.

But Epic's whole thing is customer choice and then they sign these exclusive deals that tie games to one store. On top of that Epic doesn't allow all games on their store, which means that you can't launch on Epic unless Epic agrees. So in addition to them forcing timed exclusives if they think your game is good they have repeatedly forced developers to delay competing store launches even after customers have paid for the game on that platform.

And it's not like they don't have multiple PC game stores to launch on. Steam, GOG, and Windows are huge popular stores. uPlay and Origin allow non-Ubisoft and non-EA games on their stores. Options exist for the policy you want.

Maybe exclusives are good. Maybe not. But Epic isn't doing themselves any favors by screaming that about customer choice and than locking games behind their ironically insecure and incomplete launcher.

Last edited:
Reactions: bayelrey80

canesalato

Cancelled
Jan 31, 2010
But Epic's whole thing is customer choice and then they sign these exclusive deals that tie games to one store. On top of that Epic doesn't allow all games on their store, which means that you can't launch on Epic unless Epic agrees. So in addition to them forcing timed exclusives if they think your game is good they have repeatedly forced developers to delay competing store launches even after customers have paid for the game on that platform.

Maybe exclusives are good. Maybe not. But Epic isn't doing themselves any favors by screaming that about customer choice and than locking games behind their ironically insecure and incomplete launcher.

I think Epic's point is developers choice, more than costumers.
Nobody allow ALL available games on their store. I think it would be crazy to accept everything and potentially dangerous for both users and store owners...every store provides a curated experience, to some extent.

The point is, because a PC is an open platform, if you hate Epic, you can publish your game on Steam, or on the Microsoft Store, or even your own website.

Costumers also have more choice as most games can be found on several stores. If not immediately, after waiting some months or a year.

On iOS you simply cannot publish a game, or an app, independently.
This is not just just a 30% issue.

Imagine I intended to publish a game, or an App, criticizing China, even mildly. This game will never be published on the App Store, because Apple has business interests in China. And this is ok and understandable.
However, in this case, because the App Store is the one and only way to get software on an iOS device, as a developer, I am encouraged to avoid sensitive topics and taking risk, because if I am out...I am out. For good.

On a PC, if Epic wants me out, I can try to publish on Steam. In the worst case I can publish on my own website. There is always an alternative.

@ bayelrey80 : please put a thumb down here too :p

Last edited:

4jasontv

Suspended
Jul 31, 2011
I think Epic's point is developers choice, more than costumers.
Nobody allow ALL available games on their store. I think it would be crazy to accept everything and potentially dangerous for both users and store owners...every store provides a curated experience, to some extent.

The point is, because a PC is an open platform, if you hate Epic, you can publish your game on Steam, or on the Microsoft Store, or even your own website.

Costumers also have more choice as most games can be found on several stores. If not immediately, after waiting some months or a year.

On iOS you simply cannot publish a game, or an app, independently.
This is not just just a 30% issue.

Imagine I intended to publish a game, or an App, criticizing China, even mildly. This game will never be published on the App Store, because Apple has business interests in China. And this is ok and understandable.
However, in this case, because the App Store is the one and only way to get software on an iOS device, as a developer, I am encouraged to avoid sensitive topics and taking risk, because if I am out...I am out. For good.

On a PC, if Epic wants me out, I can try to publish on Steam. In the worst case I can publish on my own website. There is always an alternative.

If Epic is so focused on Developers than why are they running consumer facing Anti-Apple smear campaigns. The FreeFortnight campaign was not for developers. It was targeted at consumers.

Waiting months or years is often not a choice for players looking to be part of a cultural experience. No one today is going to get hyped with me if I start shouting about lying cakes.

The issue isn't that Epic doesn't allow dangerous games, its that they don't allow games they consider bad. So as a developer I have to be willing to take notes from the store selling the game if I want them to sell it. In addition they frequently say we will sell it but you have to make it exclusive. It's not a consumer or a developer choice. They don't say you can sell it here and these are our terms or you can be an exclusive and these are the terms. They flat out say we want this to be an exclusive and here are the terms.

And the real issue is that the Epic Store is bad. Really bad. It's missing many core features expected in a launcher. It's cumbersome and slow. It's insecure and gets hacked. It's not a safe place for consumers, and by developers agreeing to exclusivity they are showing their potential customers that they only care about money and will kneel to the highest bidder.

Reactions: canesalato

canesalato

Cancelled
Jan 31, 2010
If Epic is so focused on Developers than why are they running consumer facing Anti-Apple smear campaigns. The FreeFortnight campaign was not for developers. It was targeted at consumers.

Waiting months or years is often not a choice for players looking to be part of a cultural experience. No one today is going to get hyped with me if I start shouting about lying cakes.

The issue isn't that Epic doesn't allow dangerous games, its that they don't allow games they consider bad. So as a developer I have to be willing to take notes from the store selling the game if I want them to sell it. In addition they frequently say we will sell it but you have to make it exclusive. It's not a consumer or a developer choice. They don't say you can sell it here and these are our terms or you can be an exclusive and these are the terms. They flat out say we want this to be an exclusive and here are the terms.

And the real issue is that the Epic Store is bad. Really bad. It's missing many core features expected in a launcher. It's cumbersome and slow. It's insecure and gets hacked. It's not a safe place for consumers, and by developers agreeing to exclusivity they are showing their potential customers that they only care about money and will kneel to the highest bidder.

If you want my game to be exclusive on your platform, you need to pay me money, otherwise I would sell on Steam, which has a much bigger market-share.

In any case, I will not answer here in defense of Epic, I don't particularly like them nor hate them. =)
They are far from being my favorite company! I don't like Fortnite, but I have a deep appreciation for the Unreal Engine, both at a technical level and from a license point of view.
I agree that the Epic store sucks. I really do not like it and avoid it if I can.
If a game is exclusive there I will vote with my wallet (which means sometimes I buy, sometimes I do not, depending on the specific game).

But apart from all this, one can love or hate epic, but Epic being bad does not make Apple good. They can both be bad.

PS: I realized we went OT. Apologies to everyone :-/

Reactions: rwxx and 4jasontv

4jasontv

Suspended
Jul 31, 2011
If you want my game to be exclusive on your platform, you need to pay me money, otherwise I would sell on Steam, which has a much bigger market-share.

In any case, I will not answer here in defense of Epic, I don't particularly like them nor hate them. =)
They are far from being my favorite company! I don't like Fortnite, but I have a deep appreciation for the Unreal Engine, both at a technical level and from a license point of view.
I agree that the Epic store sucks. I really do not like it and avoid it if I can.
If a game is exclusive there I will vote with my wallet (which means sometimes I buy, sometimes I do not, depending on the specific game).

But apart from all this, one can love or hate epic, but Epic being bad does not make Apple good. They can both be bad.

Right. My point was to say if you don't like Epic's behavior than don't buy this game because they signed an exclusive contract with Epic. Developers have every right to pick their platform just like customers have every reason to disrupt their business for doing so.

Customers need to be informed about these connections and not just looking at purchases in a vacuum. I won't play this game on iOS, Switch, or any other platform as a form of personal protest of their exclusive deal with Epic. And I will do my best to alert people of the developers allegiance to them. Some won't care, but others will. It won't have much effect, but likely will have some. Any luck the game will fail to make back it's investment and the developer will study why and learn. Or maybe other developers will.

If Epic changes direction and puts consumers first than developers who exclusively publish on their platform won't have as much backlash.

Art Mark

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2010
Oregon
I think video gaming is in some sort of awkward teen era of taking themselves rather too seriously. The soundtrack, the attempts at meaningful drama when the character - - pulls a chain and lights a lamp. Ahhh, ok. That changed my life. I just came back to this comment. I feel I need to add - yes the game looks beautiful and I respect the time and effort put into such things. But it seems rather a cliche that is divorced from some sort of meaningful resonance for a player. Cliched? Trying too hard? I don't know...I don't mean to bitc* about the ELEMENTS and the effort. But too many games lately feel like they want us to go breathless into an 'adventure' that is not an adventure in any sense of the word and be overcome with emotion because of shadows or reflections. Those are things that enhance visual storytelling but in and of themselves are not meaningful.

canesalato

Cancelled
Jan 31, 2010
I think video gaming is in some sort of awkward teen era of taking themselves rather too seriously. The soundtrack, the attempts at meaningful drama when the character - - pulls a chain and lights a lamp. Ahhh, ok. That changed my life.
I agree!
There are some notable and interesting exceptions (the before mentioned Journey, IMHO), but I think you are right, overall.

PS: I wonder if it's a teen phase, or a hipster one? =)

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.