The Last Lecture - Rany Pausch

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by BigPrince, Jul 10, 2008.

1. BigPrince macrumors 68020

Warning LONG youtube video, but worth it.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ji5_MqicxSo

What a phenomenal piece of video. I especially got excited when he spoke about his “deathbed conversion” being that he got a Macintosh, so that particularly spiked my interest. (Although it has nothing to do with the content of this video)

For someone to have such big dreams and to achieve them in some fashion, while *including those around him for the ride* is just pure awesome. I liked how even though he “failed” his NFL dream, how he was still able to take so much away from the experience because he CHOSE to make it worthwhile, he even went as far as to say that he learned form that more then he learned from the ones he achieved.

As the video went on I was quite surprised how he was able to accomplish his dreams, which when he first laid them I thought they were pretty far fetched. But as the saying goes, "those crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones that do." As he kept going on about his endeavors and accomplishments and what he took away from them, the more awestruck I became. What a well-rounded MOTIVATED individual. Even while he is facing his fatal cancer, the guy is just living it up.

My favorite part was :

“You just have to decide if you’re a Tigger or an Eeyore.”

As I took the time to reflect I realized recently that I am more an “Eyore” then a Tigger. I feel as though I have been stuck in a rat race, not quite sure what if I am on the right path or not. People say I have it good, but I do not really see it. I need to start seeing what other people are seeing. As he says “We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand.” I need to make the best of what I have, and I have a lot to be grateful for. I just need to play my hand differently and take advantage of it. I liked his analogy with Jackie Robinson. Basically, I need to stop being so cynical/bitter, just work harder at seeing things better. I liked his advice that you need to look for the best people, even if it takes a while to find it.\ I tend to see the negative qualities in people before I even begin to acknowledge the good in them.

His quote about the brick walls reminded me of another quote by William E. Channing: “Difficulties are meant to rouse, not discourage. The human spirit is to grow strong by conflict.”

Just wanted to share this with you all.

2. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

My mum would say I'm the lovechild of Tigger + Pooh. I do things like Tigger, but my mind is like Pooh......really slow and sluggish at times, don't want to bother with anything, just want to eat and wander around.

3. ProwlingTiger macrumors 65816

ProwlingTiger

I actually watched this a few months ago in an English class. Really good speaker, I too highly recommend this video.

4. djellison macrumors 68020

5. idyll macrumors 6502

Yeah watched this last year as well.. Amazing guy

6. BigPrince thread starter macrumors 68020

I will need to take a look at this time management piece.

7. Dalriada macrumors 6502

One amazing guy... and a lecture which will go down in history and will bring a smile to any face. He is still holding on in there, lets hope the good guys get a breakthrough on Cancer research, he certainy deserves it.

:apple:Dal