The Latest and Greatest Emac

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by comda, May 31, 2015.

1. comda macrumors 6502a

comda

Greetings Macrumors!

First off, quite a different change in the forum page. Going to miss the old one but i was surprised not to see a "classic Intel Mac" section. Anyways,

I have the latest Emac G4 to hit the market. I have a 1.42Ghz model. I have bumped the RAM up to 1GB, replaced the dead 80GB hard drive for another 80GB and soon i will replace the non working DVD Rom, CD -rw With a HL model of the same specs. I still want to rig up a new Clock Battery by doing the same thing i did with my Imac G3's with the standard 3 Volt CMOS battery from a PC.

Here is where my issue lies. I LOVE Power PC macs! They are rugged, Quite fast for their age and above all they look GREAT! But sadly i need to make some room. And I was wondering what would be a fair price to ask for this machine. I bought it for $40 last year with a dead DVD drive and dying hard drive, no keyboard mouse. I want to sell it fully fixed, with the pleasure of having fixed it. My main issue is i dont want to be like all the other guys out there who over charge but i dont want to loose out. So i was wondering after a year, is this thing worth at least my $40 back?

2. 128keaton, May 31, 2015
    Last edited: May 31, 2015

128keaton macrumors 68020

128keaton

Hmm, I bought my iMac g3 for $30, but it had a working drive. $40 sounds fair to me, but if you'd like to make a small return, do $45. Sell locally :D.

3. Dronecatcher macrumors 68000

Dronecatcher

Translating $40 to UK price it's easily worth it! However eMacs are so costly to ship, you may be stuck to offering local sale only.

4. comda thread starter macrumors 6502a

comda

Well i wanted to sell locally in Ontario, Canada (wont specify anymore) and i want to sell with a sadly slightly dirty apple pro keyboard, (the inside bottom has i think chocolate or something) and a standard PC mouse. I love the computer but sadly dont have much use for it. Other then youtube but since youview no longer works id rather use my Imac G3 for tunes.

Another thing, i want to do a fresh Leopard Load, what great software titles and settings do you suggest for it?

5. 128keaton macrumors 68020

128keaton

Leopard wont run on a G3, just Tiger.

6. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

The eMacs are G4s.

OP, I'd ask for $50. Your improvements are worth that and if someone wants to haggle you get your $40 back, or make $5. But it's quite possible you'd get the $50 I think.

7. comda thread starter macrumors 6502a

comda

Emac is a G4, so it runs leopard. However the Imac g3, runs tiger thats correct. I was simply stating i love using the G3 Imac for my tunes.

8. comda thread starter macrumors 6502a

comda

Thanks. IM not looking to make a profit, even though i didnt spend any $$ on the parts as they where all spares. I just dont want to loose and im happy to fix a machine that deserves to be kept and id rather not make anything and have it go to a home then to loose on it and have it recycled. It may not be as beautiful as an Imac G4, but its defiantly faster and I dont want to sell it but i cant hold on to it. I have too many PPC macs and this ones the one i spent the most on and its the most powerful.

9. Dronecatcher macrumors 68000

Dronecatcher

When I sell a Mac on, I do a fresh install and the full iLife suite, plus VLC so playing HD wont be a problem. If the buyer is a complete novice I set it up to be as foolproof as possible.

10. 128keaton macrumors 68020

128keaton

Whoops, I kept looking at his profile pic and thinking iMac, not eMac.

11. comda thread starter macrumors 6502a

comda

Haha. Yeah i made that in Photoshop and uploaded it a while ago. It never showed until this update. What do you think? The size was decreased so MR would accept the file.

12. Cox Orange macrumors 68000

do you initialize it (setting up user account etc.) and then install VLC or do you just drag and drop VLC via Firewire from one Mac to the one you will sell?

HD? Because of the thread title I was wondering for a moment and then thinking, "what would actually be the minimum PowerPC CPU+clockspeed?" and found this http://www.myapplespace.com/blog/view/19515/watching-hd-video-on-a-powerpc-g4 funny, I had not known, that there are even ways to improve it under VLC.

13. Dronecatcher macrumors 68000

Dronecatcher

I set up a generic account as I prefer to know the Mac hasn't had a corrupt install and everything is OK. I don't think I've sold a Mac that didn't have the grunt to play HD in VLC - as for minimum clock speed for HD though, there's many variables - mostly on the file being played. As that article rightly said, converting a file down from H264 to MPEG4 opens the field immensely - I can play HD on my 667 Powerbook in OS 9 - as long as the file is MPEG4.
    Plus, I have recently found XBMC to out-gun VLC on performance, 1080P files on a 1.33 PB is just crazy!

14. Cox Orange macrumors 68000

You keep the resolution? Do you not have visible picture degradation / loss of picture quality after converting it to mpeg4?

15. Dronecatcher macrumors 68000

Dronecatcher

Resolution can be kept the same or proportionally altered to fit the screen. If you are going to make a file for playback on a 12" Powerbook only, it makes sense to output at 1024 width. There's only a drop in quality if the bitrate isn't increased accordingly. The one big downside of less compressed files is an increase in file size.

16. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Just as a sidenote perhaps, I have that same model of eMac, and you can actually bump the RAM up to 2 GB for pretty cheap - and the performance difference is fantastic!

17. Dronecatcher macrumors 68000

Dronecatcher

I'll 2nd that - I had 2Gb in my 1.42 and it was no slouch!