The LED backlight in the 17" HR displays makes quite a difference...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by EricVT, Mar 4, 2008.

1. EricVT macrumors member

...in the discrepancies between glossy and matte display qualities.

Without the LED backlight I always thought the matte looked a little too dull/dim compared to the glossy surface, but after having the chance to A/B the new matte/glossy 17" displays with the LED backlight I have to say that the difference is really quite negligible.

The matte display is very vivid and rich now and the glossy display seems a tad less reflective, probably both thanks to the added brightness. I really couldn't tell any difference between the two as far as actual image quality goes, even when comparing the same stock iPhoto pictures and watching short videos. Really just identical for the most part, with maybe the slight edge going to the matte option under the rather bright lighting conditions that I viewed them in (could be different under different conditions).

Anyways, just thought I would share my opinion.

2. M&M macrumors regular

M&M

Well, thank you for your sharing...

I did battle between the idea of getting the glossy but at the end the matte won over. But now with your info, that the LED does make a difference, I'm glad I got the matte, since I was affraid that I would get a lot of reflexion from the neons I work under.

Thanks again... :D

3. aforty macrumors 65816

aforty

Wow I'm kinda glad I chose the matte now. My 17" LED matte should be shipping soon. I can't wait!

Thanks for the good news :)

4. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

I've been using the 15" matte led screen since it first came out and I do prefer it to a glossy. As you mentioned above, you cant really tell the difference from the matte and glossy as much with led backlighting.

Matte looks just that much better! To me glossy looks so cheap looking, over saturated.

I'm curious to see what the 17" hi res looks like with led backlighting. I bet it looks very clean and nice.

5. markrivers macrumors 6502a

markrivers

another MATTE user here!
    seems the night belongs to us!
    have you seen the thread for the GLOSSY people?
    anyway, i thought the majority are going glossy

6. aforty macrumors 65816

aforty

Hah, why did I think of Clinton v. Obama? ;)

7. cgthanos macrumors newbie

Interesting observation... Can you let us know where they had the 17 HR's on display? Looks like you are the first to document a sighting...

8. Ranchdip macrumors member

17" Hi-res glossy? Where?

9. sdbdj macrumors newbie

My 17" HiRes Glossy Shipped yesterday

My estimated ship date was March 18 but it is already on its way. It shipped yesterday, and will be here tomorrow or Friday.

10. wolfattack macrumors member

yay! I hope my 17 inch hi-res glossy ships today then, my estimated ship date is March 19th, one day after yours. When did yours turn from "Not Yet Shipped" to "Prepared for Shipping"?

11. chrisbeebops macrumors regular

I totally agree with you, the LED backlight seems much brighter than the older backlights. When I bought my MBP last June, I was planning on purchasing the glossy, but with the brighter backlight I switched to matte also!

12. compuguy1088 macrumors 6502a

compuguy1088

Yet Another Matte User Here!
    I prefer it from glossy, mainly from the lack of glare, as well as the color accuracy. My desktop though has a glossy screen, which is alright for gaming and such.

13. alleyslair macrumors newbie

Thanks for posting this info. For those of us w/o Apple stores, I would like to hear more comments from people who have seen the new MBP matte & glossy side-by-side. Specifically, I'd like to hear about the 17" hi-res matte & glossy. Do the two reside in the same location anywhere in the world?

14. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

I owned both the glossy and matte mbp 2.4 SR model (I exchanged it 10 times due to yellow tint on the bottom) and I did go through 3 glossy and rest matte and for some reason the matte always looks brighter.

And no I'm not crazy I compared the glossy to my cousin's matte and the matte was brighter, we both used the same profile (adobe 1998) and highest notch, I couldnt understand it myself either.

15. Apple Corps macrumors 68030

The very same question I had :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: