The Leopard or the Lion

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by DigitalBob, Jun 16, 2012.

1. DigitalBob macrumors newbie

Hi all, you've got a great forum here. I've had my Macbook Air (256Gb) for a year now running 10.6.8 Snow Leopard, I'm a previous user of windows since it began & haven't looked back. Over the last couple of days I've been experiencing problems with Finder e.g. not being able to open trash. I deleted my account & created a new one & the trash is now accessible. I'm interested to know some thoughts on wether it's worth upgrading to Lion. I use my mac for photoshop, MS word, web browsing etc. I look forward to reading any comments. Thanks:)

2. bpd115 macrumors 6502a

bpd115

3. palpatine macrumors 68040

I love Lion (now I use full screen mode all the time). But, I also enjoyed Snow Leopard. It is a tough decision. I'd wait a few days until the first update to Mountain Lion. Inevitably, these things seem to come out with bugs and apps that don't play well with the new operating system, but after a few days everything shakes out, the apps get updated, the OS gets updated, and it is all good.

4. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

I have all but my brand new Macs (that came with Lion) running 10.6.8. It's the best of OS X as I've known it since the day it was released.

The problem you have is something that can be resolved, the solution is not to change OS's , as then you fail to learn anything. My suggestion is to fix your problem first.

Lion, is an OS that I have no interest in, although I use it on my newer Macs. While I know that many like it, I have no use for it, since it ads nothing beneficial to my work flow. Conversely it actually slows me down.

I have no interest in littering my desktop, no matter which view, with iOS appearing apps, nor any other traces of the mobile OS. To have my laptop look like the UI on my iPhone is very objectionable.

I am very well aware that this is the future of the Mac OS, yet I'm hanging back as long as possible. Moutain Lion has been reported as better than Lion, yet I'm still going to take a wait and see approach until it's in the hands of the public. Then I'll read the reports and decide.

5. palpatine macrumors 68040

As you can see by this comment, the Lion OS elicits strong opinions. Personally, I love it, but as ixodes said, Snow Leopard is a wonderful OS. A lot of my apps have become much more functional now in Lion, so I am pleased with the upgrade. But, I can definitely see why people stick with SL.

6. DigitalBob thread starter macrumors newbie

Food for thought

Thanks to everyone who posted a reply to my query so far.

7. LukeSpringUK macrumors member

Do you have any iOS devices? iCloud as an infrastructure is a massive selling point for me so it played a big part in my decision to upgrade to Lion. And with Mountain Lion's extended iCloud support there's no better time to upgrade (Once it's out of course!).

The ease of having everything tied together in the cloud is great and the infrastructure's only going to get bigger and more integrated (that's my prediction anyway).

8. Mikey-Mike macrumors member

Mikey-Mike

I suggest Alsoft Diskwarrior.

9. Mopar macrumors member

I have both on different MBA's. Snow Leopard has been a pleasure to use since I've had it - rock solid. Lion has not - multiple kernel panics and a couple of outright freezes that needed to be rebooted (couldn't even force quit).

Some may love Lion and some may not, but the fact there appear to be more people complaining about Lion than Snow Leopard is enough anecdotal evidence to me to suggest which one is more stable.