The Leopard was not friendly!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by encapman, Oct 27, 2007.

1. encapman macrumors newbie

I went to my Mac store yesterday evening and eagerly waited in line with the throngs of sheep waiting for a taste of Mac's new OS Koolaid. I then hurried home and installed Leopard onto my new iMac (about 4 months old). The upgrade went smoothly. It was a slow and boring 2 hour process, but all went fine.

Then I attempted to (upgrade?) my new MacBook (about 5 months old). The install on my MacBook was virtually impossible! The screen went completely screwy! For no apparent reason the screen resolution changed as soon as the OSX disc rebooted the system during the initial setup.

The display size of the screen was now HUGE and a large portion of the dialog was now out of the viewing area. So the majority of the information on the computer screen was no longer viewable.

In addition to the bizarre screen resize issue, the entire display appeared to be overtaken by a demon whenever I moved the mouse. The entire screen started scrolling sideways in a wild manner whenever I would move the mouse even slightly. :eek:

So how would I be able to install the software? No mouse control! And no way to even see the entire screen! And worst of all - there was no way to recover my MacBook by doing a restart either!

I eventually figured out how to TAB through the dialogs to populate fields that were not viewable since I could not see most of the computer screen. I then experimented by pressing the tab button a number of times to select (hopefully) the correct field, and then I would press the space bar to confirm my selection. After a lot of trial and error I eventually managed to mash out the correct sequence of invisible options and I somehow got the software to load.

Hold the phone. The installation curse was not over yet. Once I finally got the MacBook running again, I discovered that Parallels would not work on either machine. I eventually had to do an uninstall of Parallels on each machine, and then I did a reinstall on each machine to get Parallels to play with Leopard.

After a lot of SERIOUS frustration, both machines now appear to be working fine. I have to say I am really unimpressed with the way that my 2 NEW Mac computers responded to this system upgrade. I'm a new Mac user, and up till now I have liked the whole Mac experience, but this was unbelievable!

I have worked with MS Windows ever since version 3.0, so I've performed my share of system upgrades, and I can honestly say that this upgrade was the most disastrous computer upgrade I've ever experienced! Thanks Mac! :mad:

2. snickelfritz macrumors 65816

snickelfritz

Hold down the control key and move the scrollball on your mouse;
    The screen will zoom in and out.
    The problem with your HUGE screen is that you inadvertently zoomed-in without realizing it.

3. encapman thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for that tip. But I don't believe that was the issue.

1) I was not not using a mouse with my MacBook when I performed the upgrade. I was using the track pad.

2) Even a restart of the MacBook did not correct the screwy screen behavior.

3) The Ctrl/Scroll function affects zooming and does not account for the freaky scrolling sideways behavior that occurred whenever I moved the mouse (i.e. my finger on the track pad).

4) And that wouldn't account for the fact that the computer behaved normal after I finally managed to get it to do the upgrade.

SOMETHING was seriously messed up!

P.S. And let's not forget that Parallels was completely dysfunctional following the upgrade too. Mac did a very poor job on this one IMHO.

4. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

You don't need to use the mouse for the screen zoom thing. Not only can the track pad scroll as well, you can also zoom in with the Apple-Option + key combo.

The Crtl/Scroll function, once zoomed in, scrolls the screen with the mouse movement. So what you described is EXACTLY what is supposed to happen when you have activated screen zoom.

5. encapman thread starter macrumors newbie

Dang - you guys are sharp. Thanks for that info.
    I'm still learning about the functions of the Mac.

But I'm still wondering why that function didn't reset itself when I did a hard restart of the MacBook. That has me puzzled.

6. boobooq88 macrumors regular

And Parallels not working is not APPLE'S fault. It IS PARALLELS fault for not providing an update for it to work on Leopard.

7. encapman thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmmm....

Yet when I uninstalled Parallels - and then reinstalled it - Parallels worked fine.