The life of a Macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Laco, Apr 23, 2008.

1. Laco macrumors 6502

I have had my Macbook since July and it has been running well minus the hardrive that died which was replaced free of charge at an Apple store in 5 minutes. So I've decided that my next notebook will again be Apple, not sure which kind yet, because I've been very satisfied with it. I was just wondering what the expected life of a Macbook is. Of course I know i can't get an exact date since it depends on many factors like how much I use it for example. I just want to know what the expected life of a Macbook is, excluding the hardrive which I can easily replace if it dies again. Thank you....and what part should i expect to die first....thank you! so much for your help.

2. tMac85 macrumors 65816

tMac85

3 years EASY. just take care of it. clean it..dont drop it. yada yada. They are great machines, and previous generation ibooks are lasting 5-6+ years. Current gen macbooks havent been around that long to see how durable they are, but they are macs, so they will last a good long time with proper maintenance

3. JackButler macrumors member

Battery, HD, Optical Drive, P-ram battery.

Not accounting for any accidents, misuse, or theft. :rolleyes:

4. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Just got the new BlackBook myself and I expect to have it 4 years, like my iBook G4 I just sold. I don't think I should have a problem, given the processor speed and huge hard drive. Your battery or optical drive will die first.

5. windowpain macrumors 6502a

I just upgraded a 3 year old ibook (wasn't the latest model when I bought it) more because I wanted to, didn't really need to (damn you Steve Jobs!!)

but with up to 4 gigs of ram and probably a 500gig Hard drive (in a year or so) I'm expecting to get at least 3/4 years out of my macbook before the urge to upgrade gets too strong.

Im still using the tibook in my sig and thats 7 years old.

In three years time it will still be able to do the things you do with it now.

My money would be on the battery going first, then the optical drive.