The light on my macbook pro charger goes dim randomly. Why?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rhc99, Oct 23, 2012.

1. rhc99, Oct 23, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2012

rhc99 macrumors newbie

So in August I was having problems with my macbook pro 2011 i7. Before that, it was charging fine. Then, all of a sudden, it started taking up to 6 hours to charge. Furthermore, the light on the charger would sometimes be a dim green and wouldn't charge. Also, when I would lie down with my macbook and move around with it, the charging light would go dim. So, I went to apple and they replaced my charger for free. It was working fine and I did an SMC reset and it was charging fine. Now, every now and then the charger randomly goes dim. Either i'll be at my desk and it goes dim or i'll be on the couch and it goes dim. Could this be the charger since is is only a few months old? Or could there be an internal problem?

Thanks for any help.

2. the-wanderer macrumors member

the chargers are crap with a bad mechanical design. the coaxial cable binds and twists inside the connector to the MBP, eventually the outer shield (ground) loosens and barely makes contact. if under warrantee, replace it, if not buy a another and replace it before the warrantee is over.