The lightning to 3.5mm adapter is very small

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by bubsdaddy, Sep 19, 2016.

1. bubsdaddy macrumors member

I don't have an iPhone 7 but I picked one of these up today at the Apple Store to try out. I was amazed at how small it is. I have small hands, btw.

Attached Files:

2. Fireproof! macrumors 6502a

Fireproof!

3. clumsythief83 macrumors regular

Yeah, I like them too. The plug is also very tight, i'm actually using them with my old pair of iPhone earpods.

4. caligurl macrumors 68030

caligurl

Yep! All the bitching people did about it... and then it comes and it's a tiny, little thing!

I went ahead and attached it to my ear pods that I have on my desk at home that I only use if I forget to charge my LG Tone wireless... but that way it's on them and ready to go when/if I need them in a hurry!

5. Gregintosh macrumors 68000

Just picked one up also since I have a 6S plus which have loose headphone jacks. It does the job but it feels super flimsy. My prediction is that heavy users will need to replace every 4 to 6 months and that might be generous.

6. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

Small equals higher profit for Apple.

Easy to lose, damage or otherwise render useless, this dongle joins a long line of wires so dearly loved by Apple.

Apple blows smoke about wireless, while they get fat and happy off the wires they sell the masses.

Apple hypocrisy at it's finest... :eek:

7. Mac 128 macrumors 601

Mac 128

Crack that sucker open and tell us what's inside it already!

8. bubsdaddy thread starter macrumors member

No joke...after I posted this I lost the adapter. It took me an hour to find it. It's connected to a set of earphones now.

At $9, I don't think this is really a huge money machine for Apple. And I was - still am - against the removal of the headphone jack. I'm just not as angry after seeing how tiny this thing is.

9. tallazzPilipino macrumors 6502

tallazzPilipino

it's not too shabby...

[​IMG]

I wonder if someone will make a Y-type where you can charge it at the same time.

10. hakr100 macrumors 6502a

I wouldn't vouch for their quality or lack of same but there already are bunches of "clone" adapters up for sale on eBay:

http://tinyurl.com/ze59kva

11. deeddawg macrumors 604

So much for whichever poster who was adamantly claiming "lighting is proprietary, it'll never be widely adopted"... LOL

12. Mac 128 macrumors 601

Mac 128

Most of these I've seen specs on are DACs only, and don't have an ADC. Not sure why that's the case, unless they can't do both and compete with Apple. Even the one you linked to costs almost as much as Apples with shipping, and can't possibly be the same quality, not to mention doesn't do as much. I'd rather spend the extra dollar and get the real deal.

These aren't officially licensed MFi products. These manufacturers are essentially pirating the patented Lightning technology. And, they're basically making adapters to compete with Apple in territories where Apple has to charge more for the same product. Not to mention their compatibility is likely dubious. Regardless Lightning is proprietary and the claim that it wouldn't be widely adopted was in relation to audio equipment makers. Legitimate companies cannot use Lightning without paying a royalty to Apple, and certainly a major airline couldn't buy a lot of entertainment systems which included an unlicensed Lightning port. So that is likely true -- Lightning will never be widely adopted in legitimate audio devices since manufacturers will have to pay a license fee, whereas USB-C is a much lower cost. That doesn't mean manufacturers won't offer Lightning products, but they will come with a premium, and there won't be as many of them to chose from.

13. sjc83 macrumors 6502

sjc83

I gave mine away to the guy sitting next to me at the apple store lol.

14. nasa25 macrumors 65816

I just took the adapter out of my iPhone box for the first time like 10 minutes ago. It is pretty damn small.

15. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

Looks like the same length as a Lifeproof adapter.

16. CasuallyDressed macrumors 6502

CasuallyDressed

I need a way to keep the adapter permanently with the phone. Maybe a case with a cutout in the back for it to slip inside. I work in the AV industry and constantly plug my phone into sound desks.

17. Mac 128 macrumors 601

Mac 128

Just out of curiosity, since your profession requires you to plug into multiple sound boards throughout the day, is there something about the iPhone 7 that necessitated you buy one, rather than continue using your previous phone, or buying a 6s instead?

18. CasuallyDressed macrumors 6502

CasuallyDressed

Already have an iPhone 6S. Reasons for upgrade:

-Fancied trying the + model
    -Fresh warranty
    -Financially crippling desire to always have the latest model

Don't get me wrong, I can just keep the adapter in my laptop bag and all will be gravy. But having the adapter essentially attached to the phone would just be ridiculously handy.

19. seecoolguy macrumors regular

seecoolguy

How is everyone finding the quality when playing back through the adapter? I took a pair of M50X audio technica and plugged them into the iPhone 7 Plus we are using for development, and found that all audio via the adapter looses some punchiness, it's less full vs when we use the standard audio jack from the iPhone 6S Plus.

I thought it was my imagination but I took the adapter and plugged it into the iPhone 6S Plus and the audio quality sound exactly the same like the iPhone 7 Plus via the adapter.

The sound was so much fuller, highs were better as were the bass, when plugged in via the iPhone 6S Plus legacy audio jack.

20. CasuallyDressed macrumors 6502

CasuallyDressed

I've watched a few review videos of the adapter with comparisons and the general opinion seems to be that the adapter does lose a little bit of sound quality, but not enough that the typical user will notice. I can live with that.

21. Mac 128 macrumors 601

Mac 128

I see. Yes that "crippling desire" seems to operate counter to your professional needs.

Hopefully your problem will be solved by a case with a built-in jack. I was disappointed Apple didn't offer one in their external battery case (since they are essentially offering the identical case to the 6s without the headphone jack hole), especially since it would add at most less than $9 -- but I guess I understand why they wouldn't. I suspect such a case will be a popular option for the iPhone 7, solving a number of problems.

I wouldn't be surprised if in 6 months most professional sound boards will add that $9 adapter to their stash of every other adapter to accommodate clients.

22. M. Gustave macrumors 68000

M. Gustave

We do too, unless you run a double blind test.

23. Mac 128 macrumors 601

Mac 128

I suspect the output is going to sound different on different headphones. I've only tested it on my SE with a pair of 3.5mm EarPods, admittedly not the best earbuds, but I noticed absolutely no difference in casual listening.

However, if yours is typical of most headphones, then Apple isn't offering comperable quality for 3.5mm headphones as they were on the 6s. Not that they're under any obligation to do so. What I'd be more interested in, is whether the Lightning EarPods, which have a slightly different DAC, offer identical "quality" as the 3.5mm EarPods did on the 6s.

The other question I have is whether this was a case of Apple using lower quality, cheaper, components in their design, or rather the design limited the quality they were able to achieve?

24. mysterydate macrumors 6502

mysterydate

Great questions. Haven't been able to find real audio testing/graphs on either. Which is probably like asking, "Hey what's the most nutritious packaged Ramen?" :p

I've seem to have noticed that over time, there are some subtle changes to the manufacturing of the headphones and dongles, such as strain reliefs, and some plugs, so I wouldn't put it past Apple to gradually 'cheap up' things that are on their way out.

25. FelixDerKater macrumors 68020

FelixDerKater

I don't believe the complaining was about the size of it.