The Lion That Did Not Roar

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Washac, Jul 21, 2011.

1. Washac macrumors 68020

Washac

Hello

Lion just does not cut it for me, things are just slowly going from bad to worse.

Both Safari and Firefox refuse to do Java stuff, there are websites that I use that in Firefox just look like crap, I do not like the mail program, my copy/version of Photoshop no longer works at all, and now I have to buy a new one no update for it, wonder if Apple will pay for that ? Several other items that I had online licences for also no longer work. MacPro now running hot again after all the complaining the other and getting a fix, issue now back, turn up those fans I suppose.

So far not at all impressed.

Seems like a companies half arsed attempt at making an OS and failed.

2. Jwn macrumors newbie

Se problems with macbookpro

Been to genius bar 6 times last night reinstalled it clean and it still does not work with outlook.
    Machine had problems with snow lepoard too. 2 hard drives and 26 visits to the genius bar. Even though to employees are very nice it is getting old.
    Anyone running adobe creative suite and outlook successfully one a year old MacBook pro as a power user with 100mb files?
    I am wondering if it is too much to ask of it?

3. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

It Might Just Be

It seems that newer high spec machines seem to have less complaints. I work with large video and music files, and both my iMac and my new Air perform flawlessly under Lion.

I have suffered no crashes, no waiting, fast render times and hence no complaints. Remember your MacBook is still worth money.....Maybe time to think about an upgrade? I up specced my iMac to the I7 and 8 gb ram with the 2gb video option. Not cheap, but it flies! My old stuff would be suffering the same issues mentioned here I think.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

My core2duo MBP has been flawless, I did a clean install and I have 8gb of ram. Its working just as well as SL was.

5. gyorpb macrumors member

The proper way to go about an upgrade s to first assess whether your mission critical software runs on it. If it doesn't, don't upgrade.

It's really not that difficult.

Furthermore: http://www.apple.com/feedback

.tsooJ

6. srf4real macrumors 68030

srf4real

I virtually had no choice in the upgrade, as my powermac G5 is now officially obsolete, I had to get a new mac. My mm server came pre-installed with Lion, and by itself other than a few annoying bugs and ridiculous default settings that are difficult to convince into changing... it's not too stinky. But add on Adobe CS5 and the pointer gets squirrly sometimes. Aperture renders some really wierd graphic objects once in a while also. Full screen apps.. well great if you only have one screen and only run one app at a time. Lol.. Lion has certainly left me unimpressed and eager for 10.7.8. It's no king of any jungle imo either.

7. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

Not to be rude, but didn't you check to make sure your software would work with Lion? That's your responsibility, and it's the first thing people should do anytime they're looking to upgrade an OS.

I don't have any problems with Safari or Firefox and Java. Have you tried setting Mail to Classic view to see if you like that better? What is it that you don't like about it? People might be able to provide some advice to help you out, but only if you actually give information instead of just listing complaints with no info behind them.

8. wpotere Guest

Do you actually use JAVA via a browser? I do daily and in FF or Safari on Lion it does not work worth a flip. In fact, most of the time it fails to work at all. So the OP isn't the only one with this issue.

9. phyrexia macrumors 6502a

No issues for me, but I haven't used FF or Safari in years. Chromer here.

10. wpotere Guest

Sadly I can't use Chrome as it isn't supported by the school. FF, IE and Safari are the browsers of choice. I now spend more time in Bootcamp anyway until Lion gets fixed.

11. 76ShovelHead macrumors 6502a

76ShovelHead

That's a sad existence! Ohhwell, The only thing I notice with Lion is that Flash seems a bit heavy at times (no surprise here)...

12. wpotere Guest

I don't find it that way as I unlike many here I don't think Windows is a bad OS. People here like to bash for the sake of bashing.

13. 76ShovelHead macrumors 6502a

76ShovelHead

I'll admit Windows 7 is a great experience, especially coming from XP or Vista, but it lacks features. Being a student mission control, swiping through full screen apps, show desktop with a click of the mouse, and especially Lion's resume feature come in extremely handy. And I can't get by without Pages or Keynote :). I've grown to like Outlook too, but after extended periods of use the Windows UI gets stale to me. I don't have this problem with OS X, I can use it all day long and forever without getting tired of it. Have you tried Windows 8 DP yet? It's pretty slick and fast.

14. wpotere Guest

Personal preference.... I find Win7 fully functional with everything I need. I bought a mac because it was an easy use for mail and surfing with a little production. Sadly every time I need to do something a little more serious I find myself back in Windows. As for Lion, I frankly don't like the changes and have had too many issues to even get used to it.

15. colourfastt macrumors 6502a

colourfastt

I put Lion on my new iMac and my Rev. C MBA and ended up upgrading the iMac back to SL. I have come to the conclusion that if you use a laptop (and especially if you're a recent switcher who has used iToys) exclusively you're going to love Lion as it was purpose built for them. But if you use a desktop system (iMac or Mac Pro) then Lion is absolute crap.

16. DReynolds86 macrumors newbie

17. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

It's ok on a desktop provided you have a trackpad..it's still on my MP

18. wpotere Guest

My problems with the OS are not related to the features, they are mainly with the the crashing and bugs like WiFi issues that are happening to lots of people. I knew that gestures were going to be a big feature in Lion but there are other ways to use these features without gestures so I wasn't concerned. I suspect that in futures OS's from Apple that event driven features will be replaced with gestures but Apple is smart enough to know that some of us still have older machines that they are supporting so they left in the workarounds. I personally don't like mission control and a few other things like launch pad (pointless for me) but those are personal preferences and I don't have to use them.

19. colourfastt macrumors 6502a

colourfastt

Who the devil uses a trackpad with a DESKTOP computer??

20. wackymacky macrumors 68000

wackymacky

I use both a mouse and a trackpad, it depends what task I am trying to preform. (I am, indeed, devilish)