The liquid sensors of the Macbook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Bankaimadness, Jun 13, 2010.

1. Bankaimadness macrumors 6502

After recently hearing about Liquid color sensors embedded inside the macbook pro by Apple, I decided to do some googling about the subject. I found a lot of info and a couple of lawsuits regarding the liquid sensors so I am a bit scare regarding the accuracy of the sensors.

Really how sensitive are the liquid sensors? I can't find anything regarding how much of a quantity of liquids it takes to set off the sensors so I was hoping some of you guys might know.

I mean I don't want to have the sensors setting off while I am using my macbook pro on a foggy day. I mean getting my warranty void over that is not cool and because the MBP took a lot of my savings.

I mean of course I would quickly pack up my MBP if it starts raining, but little sprinkles shouldn't be a problem right?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

They're pretty sensitive, apparently. I remember seeing at least one poster here that claims their liquid stickers were tripped from a day at the beach.

3. Bankaimadness thread starter macrumors 6502

Hmmm? Now that frightens me.

So say even little bit of saliva may trigger the sensors then huh. I can see why it is no surprise that law suits are popping up because of the sensors.

4. jay1097 macrumors member

The liquid sensors in the macbook pros are not very sensitive. They are located in the body of the machine and will only trigger if there is a spill or you use it in a place with very high humidity (wet sauna). They aren't like the ones in the iphone which are constantly exposed. Unless you spill something on it, I don't think you have very much to worry about.

5. Billydelp4 macrumors regular

My buddy spilled a can of beer on his MBP. It shorted out the space bar and when he took it to apple right before his AppleCare was up (probably a year or so after the spill) the fixed it no questions asked. Also replaced his case which had taken a beating as well.

6. Bankaimadness thread starter macrumors 6502

Lol really hope this is true lol.

Just a side question, can you use the student discount for Applecare if you didn't buy it with the machine?

7. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Yes.

8. djasterix macrumors 6502a

djasterix

Yes, you can...