Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rory Manton

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 13, 2005
Yeovil Somerset
...at the top of my Mac PowerPC G5, can I use it as a web cam as well as just taking stills?

I use MSN and was wondering if I could use it to see the folk I am talking to, if it can be used, how?

Thanks all.

Fleetwood Mac

macrumors 65816
Apr 27, 2006
Canada
The PowerMac G5 never came with a camera of any kind. Its possible that you have an external iSight, in which case it can be used to video chat using Skype, iChat, and a handful other other applications.

It will not work with MSN as Microsoft doesn't support video chatting on the Mac yet. There are some third-party applications that allow limited video chatting functionality over the MSN network.

Its also possible you have an iMac G5 with an internal iSight, in which case the answer is the same.

There's a chance you have a third-party external webcam, which you may or may not be able to use in programs like Skype/iChat.

Eric Lewis

macrumors 68020
Feb 4, 2007
CANADA? eh?
The PowerMac G5 never came with a camera of any kind. Its possible that you have an external iSight, in which case it can be used to video chat using Skype, iChat, and a handful other other applications.

It will not work with MSN as Microsoft doesn't support video chatting on the Mac yet. There are some third-party applications that allow limited video chatting functionality over the MSN network.

Its also possible you have an iMac G5 with an internal iSight, in which case the answer is the same.

There's a chance you have a third-party external webcam, which you may or may not be able to use in programs like Skype/iChat.

what does this camera look like? and what does this mac look like?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.