Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

grifta67

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 5, 2008
Hey everyone!

I had been having some headphone problems where almost anything I plugged in just wouldn't stay seated. It would either completely come out or I would only get one channel of sound. I was elated today to find out that it was from the silliest of reasons... pocket lint!

Using a paper clip, I removed a couple gobs of lint from my headphone port and now my headphone jacks all fit perfectly. The issue is that while doing this, I managed to pull off the small grey ring that sits at the top of the port. It had an a metallic-sort of backing to it but I can't seem to figure out what it's purpose was. My headphones all work fine without this piece being there, so I don't think it's anything essential, but I'm still curious.

So, anyone know what that little grey ring is??

Thanks!
-Sean

grifta67

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 5, 2008
iRob, nah I believe that is deeper down in the headphone port.

Sparky, any idea what sort of antenna? Phone calls, wifi and GPS all work fine since it came off.

Kahnyl

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2009
"iPhone 3G delivers UMTS, HSDPA, GSM, Wi-Fi, EDGE, GPS, and Bluetooth 2.0 + EDR in one compact device — using only two antennas. Clever iPhone engineering integrates those antennas into a few unexpected places: the metal ring around the camera, the audio jack, the metal screen bezel, and the iPhone circuitry itself."

http://www.apple.com/iphone/features/wireless.html

Doesn't get any more specific than that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.