The location of Lion download?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by 88 King, Jul 22, 2011.

1. 88 King macrumors 6502

88 King

I downloaded Lion using redemption code but I would like to save it to be installed later. Does anyone know where the downloaded file is located on the hard drive?

Thanks

2. SDRacerR1 macrumors member

For me its in my applications folder. Its labeled Install Mac OS X Lion. I also downloaded it from the App Store and that where is was by default

3. lee14160 macrumors regular

lee14160

Wouldn't it be in the "Download Folder," or the "Application Folder." Not sure have yet to download.

4. 88 King thread starter macrumors 6502

88 King

I checked both the application and download folder this morning and its not there. Can you please give me the name and extension of the file so I can search it when I get home later?

5. tcassio macrumors newbie

The install file will be deleted after you install Lion. If you need to make a restore disk you have to do it after you download and before you install Lion.

6. supportMQpress macrumors newbie

Directory of Download Lion from Apps store

Here is the downloading directory.
    /Users/name of the user/Library/Application Support/AppStore/444303913/mzm.stuhjljp.pkg

7. ddeadserious macrumors 6502a

ddeadserious

Did you install it yet? If so, check the directory above(I don't know if it'll be there or not). Once installed, it automatically deletes itself.

If you've only download, but not installed, it will be in /Applications/Install Mac OS Lion(where you can right click and go to "Show Package Contents" to obtain the actual installer package image).

8. QuantumLo0p macrumors 6502a

QuantumLo0p

Mine downloaded an install app in the Applications folder.

If you want to save it for later, such as burning a dvd in case your drive takes a puke, you can right-click on this application and select “Show Package Contents.” In the resulting folder that appears, navigate to Contents > Shared Support. There will be a file called InstallESD.dmg. Drag it to your Desktop as this is the file that we will burn to the blank DVD. Open disk utility, drag the dmg file to the left pane and burn it; you now have a bootable install disk. You can also make a bootable usb flash drive but I have not tried that yet.

9. 88 King thread starter macrumors 6502

88 King

Thanks for all your advice, I was not able to find it anywhere.

I solved the problem by restore the machine to the last backup I made just before downloading Lion and re-download it after unplug all my external hard drives.

Still dipping my toes in Lion, it’s not bad after I changed back the scrolling direction, enabled scrolling bar and hard drive in Finder. But most new features seems more useful on smaller laptop screen and not offer any advantages on a 27 inch screen.

I’m also have WIFI problems and slow software loading time in Lion which I did not get in SL.

10. Gregnyrfan macrumors member

Gregnyrfan

For a more detailed location on where the AppStore downloads the files -->

You have to have Hidden Files SHOWING!!!

Macintosh HD \ private \ var \ folders \ xv \ ttygflms2w1frc41jvtd85zc0000gn \ C \com.apple.appstore

This is where AppStore downloads and stores files before installation.

NOTE: some of the filenames could be different than mine (ttygfl... and C)

Hope this helps.

11. KevinC macrumors member

Here's your solution gents.. tried it and it works like a charm....

FAQ
    I am told I have no copy of Mac OS X Lion Install available.

Mac OS X Lion Install is automatically erased after you upgrade from Snow Leopard to Lion. If you need to download it again, open the Mac App Store, open the Purchase page while pressing Option (Alt) key. You’ll be able to download Mac OS X Lion Install again.

12. GhostMac24 macrumors 6502

GhostMac24

The solution was posted on this site how to make a copy. After downloading but before running the installer........ LINK

-->Select Applications

-->Find "Install Mac OS X Lion" in the Application list

-->Control-Click "Install Mac OS X Lion" to get drop down menu and select Show Package Contents

-->Select Contents

-->Select Shared Support

-->Save InstallESD.dmg to 8gb USB drive or burn to DVD.

Done!

13. seanmullins macrumors newbie

I tried this and it lets me click a Download button, but this seems to do nothing - I don't see anything being downloaded anywhere. Any ideas?