The location security scare...

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by applemagic123, Apr 23, 2011.

1. applemagic123, Apr 23, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2011

applemagic123 macrumors regular

applemagic123

Recently, I saw on yahoo news that the iphone has poor security in regards to location. Is there anything in cydia that I could install to make my location more secure? Or is it possible to ssh into the actual location file and change it or delete it or something? The only reason I care is, well, I smoke marijuana, and, well, I don't want the cops knowing my location. No, I'm not paranoid, just rather be safe than sorry.

Side note: I ALWAYS have location services turned off unless I'm using maps. I'm on Tmobile as well, if it makes any difference.

Also, someone said something about "location blocker" in cydia. I added the pushfix source, but I cannot find it anywhere in cydia. I tried using the search tab also with no ado. Please help me find this package.

UPDATE: What do you people know about "untrackerd?" Does it completely erase all previous locations?

2. tehreflex macrumors 6502

Thank you for the information. Authorities will be at your residence in 15 minutes.

3. applemagic123, Apr 23, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2011

applemagic123 thread starter macrumors regular

applemagic123

haha! Very funny!

To tehreflex: Um, yah, right. Do you have access to my ip address or something? Um, yah, that's what I thought.

To aristobrat: You see, I DID use google, but the problem with google is that you need to use VERY SPECIFIC words or else you will not get anything good. I tried typing, "cydia clear location" but it gave me a bunch of useless crap. Thanks for the link though!

UPDATE: I added the source in the link you gave me and "location blocker" is NOT in that source! I also tried searching for it in the "search" tab on the bottom with no ado. All I found was "location spoofer." I didn't read it to see what it is. How can I add this package?

4. fsck-y dingo macrumors 65816

fsck-y dingo

5. ClutchThese macrumors 65816

ClutchThese

This is a forum powered by vBulletin, Yes, your IP address is logged....actually, every IP address that you ever used [on macrumors] is associated with your username. :) Good luck!

6. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

He is not paranoid how? I don't smoke but I am sure cops would rather go after the dealers, rather than the users.

As for location services, you would seriously gimp the finctionalities of the iPhone by having this off. No google maps, urban spoon, navigon, etc.

7. ClutchThese macrumors 65816

ClutchThese

lol, i'm quite sure a cop isn't on macrumors looking for someone to arrest for smoking weed. lol

8. applemagic123 thread starter macrumors regular

applemagic123

I have a 2g iPhone dude, location services BARELY work. And yes, I know cops are not on macrumors looking for all the stoners.

9. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

You have a iPhone 2G?

You realise your iPhone CANNOT run iOS4, the ONLY iOS that tracks your data?

10. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Then you have nothing to worry about, this wasn't a problem on the 2g.

11. Cinemagic macrumors 6502

If you're that worried about your location, then you shouldn't be using a cell phone - any cell phone. Untrackerd deletes the location list. It's like putting everything in trash and emptying the trash every time you exit. But every time you use a credit card now, you have to enter your zip code. This isn't for security purposes, it's for tracking your location for marketing purposes. So if you're worried about your cell phone 's location collection, you need to stop using credit cards as well.