The logic board dilemma

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by smartalic34, Dec 26, 2010.

1. smartalic34 macrumors 6502a

smartalic34

The graphics card (ATI X1600) in my 2006 Core Duo MBP is failing... hence, the logic board needs to be replaced. I would just get a new computer, but I'd rather keep and repair this one for now - my parents will take ownership of it in June to replace their 2003 eMac - at which point I can take advantage of Apple's back to school promotion to get a new 13" MBP (starting for professional degree). I have a few questions:

1) How much will a logic board replacement cost? I've read on these forums anywhere from $300 - $1,500. Which is accurate?

2) When a logic board replacement is done by Apple, are any other parts, such as the Airport Card, swapped as well? I did an 802.11n upgrade, and would really rather Apple not touch my Airport Card. I also upgraded the RAM - is any of this an issue?

Thanks so much!

2. BJB Productions macrumors 65816

BJB Productions

Well I'm not expert, but from the one time they've replaced my logic board, I had Apple Care, but it would of costed me around $300 I believe.

As for replacing other parts, no... they will not do that as far as I know. If they do, you'll have to sign on it first. Always read before you sign anything they shove at you and you should be good.

Hope this helps. :)

3. Detrius macrumors 68000

Cost depends on who is doing the repair. Apple offers a flat-rate fix, but most AASPs can't do this and therefore must pay for the actual part, which would be far more expensive.

4. smartalic34 thread starter macrumors 6502a

smartalic34

The repair would be through an Apple store (and I assume sent to their repair depot?...) :)