The long and winding Mac Pro road...

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by sigmadog, Apr 9, 2009.

1. sigmadog macrumors 6502a

sigmadog

Wow! What a mental roller-coaster the last few weeks have been.

From the moment the new Mac Pros were first introduced in early March, to yesterday afternoon when I finally placed my order, I've gone from one extreme to the other: 8-Core to 4-Core; 2.26 to 2.93 to 2.66 back to 2.93 again. Read the benchmarks. Read the reviews. Re-read the technical specs. Scan the forums.

Lather. Rinse. Repeat. Each day. Sometimes several times each day.

I don't recall ever experiencing this sort of angst in picking a new Mac before. I think the price-points Apple introduced with this update really screwed things up for me.

In the end, for me it came down to a matter of balancing power, speed, and price, with price being the major consideration. The price of the new 8-cores were beyond my means (and mostly irrelevant to my work-flow anyway unless and until the software catches up to the hardware). But I hated the limitations being placed on the new 4-cores.

So I decided to give a look to the 2008 models, and the chart below shows the result of my comparison between the 2008 8-core and the 2009 4-cores:

[​IMG]

That pretty much sold me right there. Here's my blog post about it all.

My new 2.8 8-core mac pro should arrive next week. Now maybe I can stop fretting and get on with my work...

2. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

A very pragmatic decision... but I'm curious why you didn't go further and buy a pre-owned 2008?

It's a rhetorical question because buying expensive items, whether it's cars, boats, houses, or PC's... it's all the same... buy used, buy last year's model at a discount, or buy the latest and greatest. Everyone places different value on different characteristics of their purchase.

Glad you finally got it figured out for you! ;)

3. sigmadog thread starter macrumors 6502a

sigmadog

I've had mixed experiences with used computers. For a system that will be crucially important to me for so long, I prefer shiny and new.