The Lure Of iPhone 4

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wirelessmacuser, Jul 25, 2010.

1. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

I went to my friendly Apple store yesterday (Sat) and marveled at the long line of people there to pickup their new iP4's. Despite the way Apple masterfully creates the illusion of shortages, the facts reveal that they've had massive supplies all along. Recently that fact leaked out, Wall St called Apple on it, and in typical fashion Apples laughing all the way to the bank.

Manipulation of the public & press is Apples forte. One must admit Jobs runs an impressive game. It's no longer about leading edge products, or top quality. It's about stellar brand management, and convincing the public they're missing out if they don't buy "cool" Apple toys. Even people who truly have no need for an iWhatever... will go into debt to buy one.

There is no better example, of the power that Jobs & Company hold over otherwise intelligent people, than the iPad. While it's a very nice toy, there's not a single thing "Magical _ or_ Revolutionary about it. Yet a massive number of people have bought one. This fact, largely due to the highly refined and slick marketing expertise of Steve Jobs. This begs the question, what will happen when he's no longer at the helm?

Apple has all it's eggs in one basket, hmmm...

2. iammike1 macrumors 6502a

iammike1

...although not "revolutionary and magical" the iPad does bring something new to the table.

The only reason I haven't purchased one is that I have a perfectly good MBP that's just over a year old. Once that gets old enough it will get replaced with an iPad since all I ever do on it is browse the web, send emails etc...but the iPad does all those things in a much lighter and more compact way with much better battery life.

FYI, netbooks suck for me because I have big hands. iPad gives me the netbook level of ability without making me use a super tiny trackpad and keyboard.

3. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

I don't think you know what that phrase means. :D

Once Sir Stevie is gone Apple will hopefully go back to making computers instead of iWhatever. This is unlikely, but it's my dream.

4. rKunda macrumors 65816

rKunda

=)

5. QCassidy352 macrumors G4

QCassidy352

lol... when did MR come to this? Barely veiled trolling makes up probably 1/2 the threads on this site now. Too bad... this used to be a really nice community of mac enthusiasts.

6. Fabienne macrumors 65816

Fabienne

They make a product that loads of people love, they sell it at a fair price, they have lots of great auxiliary products that compliment each other brilliantly, their quality is better than just about anyone else's, they used the biggest carrier for their exclusive carrier, and they get people excited as hell about it and this is wrong how? Are you a communist? This is capitalism when you are good at it, son.

You are failing to appreciate how long it has taken Steve Jobs and company to get to this place. Most well run, imaginative companies never get half this far. Trial and error and willingness to take risk all factor into the equation. You are just jealous. So am I.

Frankly, I was expecting a huge price hike this year on iPhone, smart move not to do that. Oh, and lest we forget the price decrease we saw on things like the nano and iPod a while back. Steve Jobs and his associates actually know how to market.

I am sure that HTC, Motorola and the other android phone makers would give their firstborn to be able to do what Apple does.

7. wirelessmacuser thread starter macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

What? A fair price? There is only one product in Apple's large selection of products that is sold at a fair price. It's the iPhone, and the price is what Apple was _forced_ to price it at. Otherwise it would not sell.*

I'm one of those people you refer that loves some of Apple's products. I have used an Apple laptop as my personal computer of choice, since the release of the first PowerBook models. My current laptop is a new 2010 15" Core i7 MacBook Pro. Working as a hi tech professional who does 3D Aerospace Design, I use a workstation class ThinkPad. It was upgraded (at the same time I got the MBP) to a new model with an identical processor, RAM, and HD as my MBP.*

The ThinkPad W510 cost $1502
    The 15" MacBook Pro cost $3320

Notice the price premium?*You call this a fair price?

Simple really, it's wrong to overcharge for a product with no clear advantage.*

I have no comment in response to your juvenile question. Capitalism bordering on extortion.*

I've observed Apple, and been a customer for decades. The fact that it's taken time to build out the company is nothing to admire. Anything worth accomplishing takes time. It's the cost of doing business. That they are successful is satisfying to see. However I believe their success would be more widely admired if not for the obscene amount of arrogance, control, and know it all behavior of the man at the top.*

8. Starrbuck macrumors regular

Dude, if you don't like the price of stuff or the company, don't buy their stuff! And you can spend your time on other boards.

9. tjwaggoner macrumors regular

Well said
    And to the OP; saying "hi-tech" makes one think that maybe your not designing the next space shuttle on your laptop. Im just saying, but yeah just stop buying Apple stuff if you dont like the prices/company/CEO/marketing/and all the other aspects that your complaining about. Pretty simple really.

10. wirelessmacuser thread starter macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

Dude....

I _never_ said I didn't like their "stuff"

Hint: I knew the price before I bought it.

I paid the price, and as expected I'm enjoying my MacBook Pro.

Clue: This is an Apple Forum, I've spent over $10k so far this year on Apple "stuff".

I will continue to participate in _ conversations_ discussing the pro's & con's of products that I buy.

Thanks for your concern, but things have never been better ... :)

11. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

the lure of posting a thread like this is far worse

12. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

There's still stock shortages?

I walked into my local Orange Store yesterday on a whim, walked out about half an hour later as a new customer with a 32Gb iPhone 4.

13. calb macrumors 6502

Stock shortages for those of us wanting a SIM-free phone from Apple, yes.

14. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

Ah.

I needed to move Network so didn't apply in my case.

15. Knowimagination macrumors 68000

Knowimagination

Thats funny if you go to lenovos site and pick the w510 and spec it equally to the 15" Macbook Pro I get.

Thinkpad W510 cost $1939

Macbook Pro cost $2199

16. DeathChill macrumors 68000

Just curious: where are you getting this artificially limiting supplies stuff? I haven't seen anything to suggest this. I see they did a big push to clear the priority lists but they still haven't been able to even do that so where and why are they hiding them?

I'll also never get the iPad hate. The pricepoint is very good I think; ask the competitors who were shocked at it and had their plans to deeply undercut it hurt. I use my iPad everyday as I love bring able to pick it up and use it and throw it down at a moments notice. Very useful when you have a young daughter always getting into trouble.

17. FightTheFuture macrumors 6502a

FightTheFuture

anything can happen. just keep in mind that it's already happened to apple once. while some believe apple 'is due' to fail again, i look at it differently. they learned from their mistakes - that's why they only go after certain markets.

and i'm not sure if Apple is really all that manipulative. think about it - they don't sell more computers or phones than their competitors. just because apple is successful doesn't mean their customers are zombies for their products. if you want proof, you can easy search the MR forums with both sides of Mac owners dismissing and embracing the iPad.

18. macpro2000 macrumors 6502a

If they were doing this...BestBuys etc would have at least a few more! :)

19. Fabienne macrumors 65816

Fabienne

Hmmmm, unfortunately, you don't seem to have learned much from your association with them. BTW, you never did state whether you are a communist or not. Capitalism is actually a very good system, son. When it's done right, you can make a good amount of money.

20. Starrbuck macrumors regular

Then your post doesn't really make much sense.

21. ccolaco macrumors 6502

I can't believe I actually read all that.. But since I did, here my two cents.

Its very simple. Apple makes things they like to use themselves, and sells it to its customers. They are successful because of not only having good, quality products; but also for of course brilliant marketing, brand management, and synergy between all of its products. Which leads to my next point; control.

Apple does not have control over EVERYTHING. They have control over their products. Which a) Is allowed, they made it, they can have whatever control they want over it. b) they have control so they can ensure their products are of quality. Most Apple products work very well together, this is because Apple puts in the time and effort to ensure this.

Sure there is a "premium" customers pay for an Apple product, but your forgetting that this premium is only on their Macs, and even then it is totally worth it considering the quality machine you get. Not to mention its resale value. And you mentioned in a separate post on this thread that Apple is forced to price the iPhone at its current price which is untrue. Apple sells its phones to AT&T. The $199, $299 you pay goes to AT&T for signing a contract. Its called a subsidy. Apple was already paid long back.

If you don't like how the company runs its business, but you like to use its products (not sure how you can think like that but you supposedly do), then buy the Apple products you like, and don't whine about how the company is run. If the company wasn't run this way, maybe that MBP your using wouldn't be so nice of a machine after all.

Stop being the morally correct police and just enjoy the things you work so hard to pay for.

P.S. I too miss the MR forums when it was a nice place to chat along with other Mac enthusiasts.

22. DeepIn2U macrumors 603

DeepIn2U

Indeed my dream as well. Of particular notice ... with all this iOS love ... has anyone (although I've criticised former weight of & recently has improved) noticed that the right hand man is somewhat replaced with Jony Ive?!

What's that dudes name, head of Professional hardware gone?! He did the last 2009 WWDC keynote.

EDIT: Phil Schiller, Senior Vice President, Worldwide Product Marketing.
    What was Bob Mansfield doing with iPhone 4 hardware if he's part of hardware? Reading his profile he's helped with iPhone & iMac ... but should we not see more stuff in the MBP & MP lineups?

The the OP ... I'll say it before and I'll say it again. While so many in the computer hardware and especially in the smartphone space concentrate ONLY on Hardware or Software ... many FAIL to realize its about the harmony of both .. which is called Infrastructure. Apple has been forward thinking for decades and only now has the smartphone industry trying so hard to catchup with the "App Store" not realizing there is so much more to it. iTunes/iTunes U/App Store/Book Store ... and Universities and Educational markets on top of consumer and corporate markets starting to take notice.

23. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

Cliff's Notes version:

Apple makes cool stuff and knows how to sell it.

You would make an excellent Sky Mall copywriter. Your pen name could be Fluffy.

24. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

I don't get this type of thought, so just because I bought and love my iphone, I have to love everything about apple and not discuss anything they do that I don't like? Dude, they're just a company, and just because someone may like one or two or three products they make doesn't mean you also have to love their policies and such. Things aren't always black and white, all or nothing.

25. Fabienne macrumors 65816

Fabienne

+3