The Mac Box Set for installing 10.6 from 10.4.11, is it worth it?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Forsaken, Dec 21, 2009.

1. Forsaken macrumors regular

Forsaken

Yes, another thread.

What I'm wondering now is if it's worth it to go over 169 dollars to have to buy the Mac Box Set or if I should just go with the 29 dollar route, getting the bare install disc but maybe violating the EULA (it's possible to install it, and I don't believe there will be any rocky edges).

For Christmas I might just as well end up having the MBS. But I don't need iLife nor iWork. So what should I do with the two extra discs? I could very well install them on my family's iMac but it does run Tiger (and I dunno if they are compatible with 10.4 anyway) and we probably won't upgrade that one until way later.

Thoughts?

2. Gregg2 macrumors 603

There's no maybe, installing the $29 "version" of SL over Tiger does violate the EULA. Obviously, that's your call. As far as iLife '09 being compatible with Tiger, I'm sure you can find that out on Apple's web site. Well, if I was sure, I'd know the answer, and I don't...

3. Forsaken thread starter macrumors regular

Forsaken

Well I was pretty sure that it did violate it. But that's rather beside the point anyway.

Having ilife and iwork at all would be kind of pointless because they're rarely used, if at all. What else could I do with the discs? I can't just heave them.

4. Gregg2 macrumors 603

I agree with you. I think Apple should also offer a "legacy OS" (pre-Leopard) to Snow Leopard license for something between the $29 and $169 prices. But, maybe they figured no one would buy a $129 SL only package when you can get the same thing for $29. If they would sell the Box Set with iWork for $129, then maybe I'd shrug and say, fine. Because in that case, the cost for the major upgrade from Tiger (or earlier) would be the same as it's usually been. There's such a difference in cost! I think they may have set the Leopard to SL price too low. It makes it awfully tempting to violate the EULA if you don't have Leopard.

What to do with the iWork disc? Maybe you can find someone who didn't mind violating the EULA to sell it to for $5. (Someone that cheap wouldn't pay much more than that.)

5. Fuchal macrumors 68020

6. Fishrrman macrumors G3

RE:
    "Get the $29 box"

Here's another vote for the "$29 box" (which can actually be had for about $25 if you shop).

It will do EXACTLY what you want - that is, to upgrade to 10.6.

And all that talk about some vague thing called "EULA" - well, it's just talk, and no more.

Let your _wallet_ do the talkin' fer ya!

- John

7. Forsaken thread starter macrumors regular

Forsaken

My parents (if they actually got anything specific for me, not just AS gift cards) probably got the SL box. Violating the EULA would be irrelevant anyway; AppleCare for my Blackbook expired a few days ago.

I was 99% sure that the SL box would work, so yeah, it was obvious. Thanks.