The Mac Gods have condmened me it seems!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by markjs, Jun 7, 2007.

1. markjs macrumors member

I have desperately been trying to install OS9 on my 333/G3 iMac, and at first I tried to use a set of disks for a G4 tower, but I have since obtained a copy made for the iMac. Trouble is, that everytime I install the POS (either version), it tells me after reboot that "Finder" could not start because the library "InterfaceLib--SetEmpdyRgn" is missing. The only options it gives me are to restart with extensions off (which does work), or use a rescue cd (which also works but I see no way to use it and can't find which extension to turn off), and the trouble with all this is, that I am only trying to get this up to OS 9.2.2 so that I can upgrade the firmware and run Panther or somesuch. I am completely at wits end and about to huck this "Crapple iCrap" into the trash.....I want to lear to use an Apple and perhaps love it but it seems nobody can help me and there is no alternative! PLEASE!!! someone has to know what the trouble is and how to fix it......Thanks in advance to anyone at all who will even attempt to help me!

2. Hawkeye44 macrumors newbie

I'll have some mercy seeing what's up... Try holding down the spacebar key at bootup and managing the extensions, sounds like an oldschool extensions conflict. Also if you have another mac that you can install os9 on, say that tower that you have the cds for, install it appropriately on the other machine, clean, run updates to 9.2.2, and then throw it back in your imac. Run firmware updates if available, that also sounds probable offender.

3. markjs thread starter macrumors member

Well unfortunately all I have is a really highzute PC and the G$ disks are for a tower I don't have, the little iMac is all I got. and I have no idea what extensions to turn off, I am a total mac noob, so please bear with my weath of mac ignorance......Thanks though, every bit of info counts!

4. markjs thread starter macrumors member

I give up......anyone want a free iMac? Otherwise it and all my mac related stuff is going curbside on trash day where it seems to belong.....I guess I am destined to be a PC only guy....:mad:

5. rfrankl macrumors 6502

6. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

Seriously, you're giving up already? :) Sounds to me like you've already found the issue, it's just a matter of picking out what extension is causing the conflict. Have you tried Googling "InterfaceLib--SetEmpdyRgn"?

Furthermore, if the only reason you're trying to get OS 9 installed is to update the firmware and install OS X, can you not update the firmware when booting with extensions off?

7. markjs thread starter macrumors member

Yeah I googled it and I got only two instances, both unanswered posts I made in this very forum.....

I've been working on this for 2 weeks, I could have built 30 flawless PC's in that time.....

Port Townsend WA but if you're more than 50 miles away shipping or gas would make it not worth it.....

I don't believe one can access the CD from a non extension boot can one?

8. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

The root of the problem is that I think you still do not have a complete and correct iMac G3 333 MHz install CD. One from an iMac G4 or possibly even an iMac G3 slot load may not work.

If you are missing a Lib file, its because the installer on the CD didn't put it there...

9. markjs thread starter macrumors member

Where would I get the right CD?

10. obrien234 macrumors regular

I might have one that I can mail you (slot loading iMac 400MHz)....I'll check tomorrow.

11. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

ugh, hunting for extension conflicts......how annoying!

As I remember the troubleshooting technique requires that you methodically turn off half of the extensions using the extension manager and then restart the computer. You'll find out which half of the extensions list contains the problem extension depending on whether the computer restarts or not.......methodically, you continue turning on blocks of half of the remaining extensions and restarting......sooner or later the computer wont restart and then you'll know that the problem is with one of the extensions you've just reactivated. Then you go through the same process with this smaller group. Ultimately, you'll isolate the problem extension. Hopefully, it wont be one that's needed in the process of updating the firmware.

If you're unlucky, there will be more than one troublesome extension to locate.

12. Nosebleed macrumors member

Nosebleed

Well that'll bring the number of flawless PC's in the world to...well, 30 :D

Hi, my name Nosebleed...and I used PC's. Its been 2190 days since my last use...

13. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

Possibly not. I didn't know if the firmware updater was on a CD or on the HDD.

That's what I was thinking, too.

14. markjs thread starter macrumors member

Well the saga continues because I was given the CDs that the guy who gave me the iMac got with the iMac (prior to garbage day) and I had assumed that they may have been the right ones but now I am doubting that. What I got is a full install of 9.2.2 that reads "eMac Mac OS 9 install (v.9.2.2) (CD v. 1.0)" and another that says "eMac Mac OS X Install (v. 0.1.4) (CD v.1.0)" When 9.2.2 is installed I get "bus error" and a little bomb but I did get it to start with the CD drivers only to make sure the firmware was up to date. When I try to setup OS X it tells me it could not finish the install about 1/4 of the way through......I have NEVER had anything close to this much trouble with Windoze, so I am again at wit's end......How would I know if this is a compatible OS disk?

15. markjs thread starter macrumors member

Whao! I finally got an OS to work! Just had to turn off firewire extensions......Still I am baffled as to why I cannot install OS X as the firmware is current?!?

16. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

since they say "emac" on the disk, then no, they're not the "right" ones as you have an imac, and an older one at that......does your imac even have firewire ports installed? If not, that would explain why firewire extensions were giving you trouble

the fact that it's an emac OS X install disk probably also explains why you're not able to get a proper install on an older imac....your best bet is to get a retail version of OS X that will install on your old imac

17. yadmonkey macrumors 65816

yadmonkey

I'm pretty certain that the old 333mHz machines did not have firewire ports. I know this has all been frustrating, but I'm not sure it's fair to call Apple products crappy based on the experience, especially considering that it sounds like you haven't been using proper installers... either the installers made for that machine or standalone versions of OS 9 and OS X.

18. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

The problem is almost certainly using those eMac discs. Get a RETAIL copy of Mac OS X Panther 10.3, I think the iMac should be able to take up to 10.3.9.

19. markjs thread starter macrumors member

well I tried a retail OS X disk and still no joy, well at least it has OS 9.2.2 and I am donating it to someone who may use it as is, I am getting a free 400MHz Imac with 10.3 already loaded for to play with for myself so maybe I am beggining to "think different" LOL or the mac gods have not forsaken me..... :)