The Mac "Head Turn"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AppleTech22, Jul 28, 2011.

?

Have you gotten the "head turn"?

1. Yes, people have looked at me or my computer directly in public.

22 vote(s)
    32.8%
  2. No, people don't turn around or look at me because of my machine.

29 vote(s)
    43.3%
  3. Double Yes, people I don't even know have asked/talked to me about my Mac.

16 vote(s)
    23.9%
  1. AppleTech22 macrumors 6502

Now that I have been traveling around with my mac more and more, I am starting to notice the amount of people that turn around and look at me when seeing the computer I am working on. I guess it's just something that comes with having a great design like the MacBook's and that glowing Apple logo just begs for attention. Over time it has come to get somewhat annoying, yet you just kind of think that all of the "normal people"(un-techy) think that the mac is the number one computer. I don't see this happening when you see the average business man pecking away at his ThinkPad.

So I have to ask the question, have you gotten the "head turn" from people? Or have people you don't even know came up to you and said something about your MacBook Air/Pro.

This isn't a post to be a "stuck up" Apple fan who thinks that they are better because of the computer they are using. It's just a question so don't start something.

2. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

I got the head turn from both, mostly because most people have only seen a 13" MBP in my area and not the 15", but never because it's a Mac.

But if I go back to South Korea every single person will stare at me for having a glowing apple on the back of my computer, then yell at me for not buying Samsung. No joke.

3. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Seems like more Mac folks than PC folks at coffee shops here in Toronto so it's the norm. More PC folks are plugged in though.

4. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

GuitarG20

I think it's mostly because i have a 17" and I guess people don't know they exist/ are surprised I leave the house with a computer this big... xD

5. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

Sometimes. Its annoying. The most frequent comment from people I know is "Woah is that the 15" one?"

6. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

I'm trying to sell my place at the moment and i can hear people whispering, when viewing our place (normally the guy), about my iMac on my desk.

Its a nice feeling to be honest.

7. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

never, but probably because when I'm using it in public, I'm on a college campus, where everyone has Macs. PCs gain more attention there, because nobody has one

8. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

GuitarG20

true on my campus too... only most people have the 13" or 15" ones, and so are confused when they see one as large as mine.

9. Vook macrumors member

Vook

My wife wont take her MBP to school anymore, she thinks someone is always plotting to swipe it.

10. wikus macrumors 68000

wikus

I'd rather be left alone when I'm working on my computer. Unless the person asking me is some hot girl, which won't happen (because theyre generally not interested in computers).

I find that a lot of people buying macs get them for the wrong reasons. For instance, in one of my classes a classmate bought a Macbook Pro. When we asked her why she got it, she said 'Oh, because it looks pretty.' The same is true for guys, its almost like compensation for something theyre lacking in the crotch.

The whole thing about apple products bringing some much useless attention is such a con and negative, it really takes away from the fact that the product is USEFUL rather than 'it just looks pretty'

Is it too much to ask for people to develop an IQ above 80 and think rationally about why they feel the need to purchase a 'pretty' laptop?

11. kfergiez macrumors 6502

kfergiez

Ditto on that. I laugh at people in the coffee shops that have their PC plugged in. It seems that almost ALL of the PC users have to be plugged in. I never see a mac plugged in.

12. uiop., Jul 28, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2011

uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

Most people do buy Macs (aside from we enthusiasts on here) because they look nice or are "hip".

13. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

How can there be a wrong reason in a capitalist society? Their money, their rules? The fact that you purchased the Macbook Pro for it's 1337 i7 Processor and LED backlit high resolution screen and 10 Gbps bi-directional thunderbolt port to do cool iOS and web coding is no more 'legit' than a soccer mom who wanted a good looking box instead of a chunky dell or blocky Lenovo.

If teeny bopper xyz makes mbp owners look like children than you equally make mbp owners look snobbish.

14. Performa636CD macrumors member

I got the head turn...about 6 years ago. Now, Macs are "so in style" I find it hard to believe the "head turn" still exists.

15. AmbiguousNinja macrumors regular

AmbiguousNinja

That's what she said.

16. wikus macrumors 68000

wikus

Its not about being snobbish, and I hate the company beyond belief, so I dont praise or defend it simply 'because'. I use macs because OS X suits me a lot better than windows. Technology is supposed to enhance lifestyles. It is NOT a fashion statement.

17. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

Sorry, but this thread is kind of dumb. The "Head Turn" ... really?

@wikus: You aren't making sense. If somebody wants to buy something with their money, who are you to tell them that they're "wrong," no matter what their motive for purchase was?

18. wikus macrumors 68000

wikus

Who am I? Someone who buys computers for their practicality. Not only are they wrong, but theyre also stupid. 2 grand on a laptop that does the same job as the one for 1/4 the price. 'Because it looks pretty' is not a reason to shell out money for something like a computer.

19. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

GuitarG20

I was hoping someone would call that one... ;)

20. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

Most Macs, if you decide not to replace them, can last beyond 8 years of use. Many schools still use the old eMacs, from 9 years ago now.
    Average lifespan of a PC is 2 years. Get a $1000 PC every 2 years for 8 years, and you end up spending $4000. Spend $2000 on a MacBook Pro and keep it for 8 years, and you already save 2 grand.

It's not shelling out money. It's an investment, an investment which also has a high resale value. Very handy when you want to replace your MacBook Pro, but don't want to waste money.

Not only that, as long as Apple supports Intel processors, the software made for Macs will be guaranteed to run on your computer. As long as the operating system is supported on your Mac, it will be able to do most things that a newer Mac will be able to do.

When people say Macs are not worth the money, they only think of now. But when you buy a Mac, you think of the future, and the benefits it will have over any PC when it gets older.

Sure, PC laptops can live very long. But you will always notice slowdowns, bottlenecks, restrictions, etc. while a well-maintained Mac will not.

Also, just to let you know, smart people do not buy Macs for OS X. Smart people buy OS X for hackintoshes, or if they think a Mac is worth it, then they just buy a Mac.

21. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

Double Parked out front of the Courthouse
    I do, but I'm not sure if it's because it's a mac or because I'm naked. :eek:

:p

22. Dooger macrumors 6502

Trying....desperately.....hard....to.....resist.....flame.....bait

23. marshallbedsaul macrumors 6502a

marshallbedsaul

no way this is craziness
    almost every where I go I see others with apple products now just normal its w.e

24. mystik610 macrumors regular

Not everyone has practicality on the top of their list when they buy computers....or cars....or clothes...or eating out at restaurants

If that were the case, we'd all be driving Toyota Corollas, buying our clothes at Walmart etc etc.

For most people, computers, particularly laptops, are a luxury item. This is especially true of Apple products. In terms of utility and from a practical standpoint, Apple products don't hold a candle to PC's, outside of design work and a few other very small industries.

Microsoft still dominates the practical/productive market...which is why they paid more attention to the design of their products, and instilled the elitist attitude behind their products through their marketing (hell, look at the "I'm a Mac" campaign). This is what allowed them to carve a niche out of a market overwhelmingly dominated by Microsoft. The very attitude you hate about Apple owners, was engineered by Apple's marketing.

25. BiggAW macrumors 68020

Wow. At my campus there are more PCs, but there are still probably 40% Macs, so there are so many of them that no one cares. The first people to get the aluminum Pros got a few stares, but after that, they are about as exciting as the carpet or the bricks in the wall.