the mac mini

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by poundsmack, Aug 22, 2008.

1. poundsmack macrumors 6502

poundsmack

When was the last time Apple updated this guy? I really want a nice little mac for use in cross platform app development but the specs and chipset on the mini are older than i would like. Something based on the nice new intel 4 chipset series would be nice, anyone know if they are likely to get an update soon?

2. ADent macrumors 6502a

The chipset on the mini has not been changed since it went intel (ie all mini boards physically identical, though CD and C2D units have different memory limits).

3. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

And this is what sucks for the CD/CS folks - a firmware update will give 50% more RAM access. Don't know what Apple was thinking...

4. BOSS10L macrumors 6502a

Not to mention the lack of resolutions supported for fixed-pixel displays. If Apple would give me 1365x768 with 1:1 pixel mapping, I'd buy one today. :(

5. poundsmack thread starter macrumors 6502

poundsmack

@soberbrain

i had not seen the buyers guide, thank you for pointing that out to me. I am jsut glad they are not discontinuing it.

6. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Current Mac Mini CAN access 3gb of RAM.

Ever heard of DisplayConfigX?
    There is at least another app like it.

7. BOSS10L macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I have, but at the time I didn't have a Mac and I wasn't 100% sure it would work. I'm not crying poor, but $700 for a Mac Mini on the hopes that DisplayConfigX *may* work is a bit foolish, no?

8. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

I understand that, but as ADent pointed out, there is no hardware difference between the CD/CS and current C2D Minis, yet the former can only take two 1 gig sticks, while the latter can take two 2 gig sticks.