The Mac OS X Setup Assistant

Discussion in 'macOS' started by opuslab, May 15, 2007.

1. opuslab macrumors member

opuslab

I am selling my old Mac. I used the software restore discs to do a clean install. After the installation was complete, there was no option to shut the computer down, only reboot. As a result, the Mac OS X Setup Assistant started after the reboot, and I had to enter a phony user name and address, which the new owner will have to change.

Is there a way to run the Mac OS X Setup Assistant at startup again, so the new owner could enter all the correct information and overwrite the one that I entered? Thanks guys.

2. joshysquashy macrumors 6502a

after installing it will restart. at this point, try pressing the power button. if that doesn't work, press and hold it for a few seconds. next time it is turned on it will start from the same point again.

3. opuslab thread starter macrumors member

opuslab

Thank you. I thought of doing it this way, however I was wondering if there was a more "intelligent" way of doing it, like putting a shortcut somewhere in the First Run folder or something. The only problem that it is no longer a "first run" since I have already booted into OS X and completed the Setup Assistant's "interview"...

4. imac9556 macrumors 6502a

Actually, I would not recommend just turning off the computer when getting to the startup assistant. One time I did that and the next time I turned on the computer, it didn't go back to the startup assistant. It created a generic account and was all weird and messed up. I had to reinstall.
    What to do is:
    After the little movie plays, and goes to the screen where you have to input information, hit: Apple key and Q
    It will then pop up a message and then select shutdown. It will shutdown the computer correctly and rerun the setup assistant again the next time turned on.
    Good luck!

5. opuslab thread starter macrumors member

opuslab

Perfect. Thank you!