The Mac Pro has been discontinued! Is The Macbook Pro next...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by buster84, Sep 9, 2016.

1. buster84 macrumors 6502

2. yukari macrumors regular

3. buster84 thread starter macrumors 6502

Its been 1054 days since it was released, not one update after that. The macbook pro is about half that right now its sitting at 551 days since its last update.

In the tech world these are unheard of date ranges when it comes to upgrading a computer. PC's are updated every 6 months and Intel releases new processors every year/twice a year depending on xeon/consumer ect...

Apple is so far behind it makes you wonder if they are following there iphone 7 headphone philosophy.... laptops are so yesterday... its all about the Ipad pro's lets just stop making desktops and laptops (except one model the macbook) and embrace the ipad. As tim cook would say, "Its the way of the future". LOL

4. argentum47 macrumors regular

argentum47

??: Laptops are 30 years old and desktops are 50 years old technology man.. time to let them go. We have the courage to do it.

5. Floris macrumors 68020

Floris

The only good thing about this is that people will then mentally not value them anymore. Won't be long before I can buy beasts like those for 1500 bucks instead of 3500.

Looking forward to it actually being discontinued and not just that series, oh wait, no, I rather see a new series appear this November.

But i call Apple out, if they actually remove the mac pro, the mac mini on the other side of that balance doesn't make sense anymore either - wipe it too.

Just go with a monitor with one po... oh the iPad, ok, yeah, get rid of desktops, introduce an iPad Pro that can support the 6k cinema display, and we're good.

6. buster84 thread starter macrumors 6502

Its been 695 days since the mac mini had a refresh! The whole machine is so out of date its not even funny anymore... its just straight up sad and makes you wonder if apple truly is trying to distance themselves from laptops and desktops.

They definitely don't go a over 365 days without updating there precious iphones/ipads.

Exactly. Who needs a mac mini anymore! Apple has given us the Apple TV to replace it!

7. Floris macrumors 68020

Floris

They make for great in-house dns/web/mail/fallback ipv6 etc servers. Personal web dev projects on a closed network behind it's own router etc is something they're great for. No need for a monitor, really fast, and one of the more affordable ones. Especially when you buy them secondhand.

8. VAGDesign macrumors 6502

VAGDesign

I suggest Apple to stop developing XCode, iBooks Author, Swift and all Pro apps remain active. Let all developers out of tools, then they move to Android and Apple will see its beloved App Store into ruins.

There are chain reactions in technology, Apple is to find out how Emojis and Watch bands with iPhones with good cameras, cannot develop its core. The developers behind each device's usability and App.

Tim Cook is not a good captain, and Apple ship has route to the rocks.

9. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Hopefully Apple will be releasing a "new" Mac Pro and have listened to their customers "for once", not unleash another design exercise, so some exec to prance about the stage, making pointless statements.

All the Trashcan has proved is that Apple can't innovate outside of design for the sake of it, fundamentally computers at this level need to be practical. I Really wish Apple would drop all the fashionista nonsense and get back to delivering great hardware...

Q-6

10. buster84, Sep 10, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2016

buster84 thread starter macrumors 6502

I'd trust amazon over any other company out there especially a small shop like B&H. Amazon is the biggest retail company in the world right now on prime day last year they 398 items per second! Thats crazy and honestly anything over 100 items per second sounds crazy.

Amazon has been known to stop re-ordering and discontinue products before others do when they see the sales of these products fall so hard that they will loose out on re-ordering just to clearance them out anyways. This is the first time iver ever seen a discontinued notification on a mac product page though.

For example, if you look a the

2014 macbook pro page
    it was never listed as discontinued but instead listed as the old version.

The 2015 macbook pro doesn't say discontinued either, it also isnt listed as an old version since its still the newest one out.

Apple discontinuing the mac pro line is just the beginning into there new direction. If apple thinks removing the headphone jack on the iphone 7 is a leap forward then you can only imagine how much of a leap forward apple will think by decreasing the mac lineups options. I wouldnt be surprised if they removed the macbook pro lineup, mac pro lineup and kept the imac lineup with the macbook lineup.

11. lewdvig macrumors 65816

lewdvig

With the closed and hard to upgrade design, poor choices in apple displays, would it not be easier to focus on makung the imac beefier?

Whats the real world delta between the two? Would a eGPU over TB3 on a new imac not solve the compute delta?

For me the MP died with the trashcan model.

The old tower was a marvel. Simply upgrading the internals every 18 months would have kept power users happy.

My rMBP is still going strong. If apple kills the line i will buy a ciuple of closout 2015 models and ride it out.

12. buster84 thread starter macrumors 6502

Im exactly with you! I was going to buy a new mac pro in 2013 and i was extremely disappointed in the outcome of it being so small and not up-gradable like the previous models. They also didnt have dual processor support so at this point i said screw it and bought a used 2009 (upgraded to 12 core) and bought a fully decked out lat 2013 imac.

The small design for a desktop was a complete failure since they already have the mac mini linup. People who buy Xeon cpu's are buying them for server use, or for high end computing, video editing ect... and these people usually have a big office where a small desktop design is moot and the dependability of adding more videocards, pcie slots if far more useful for business and video editing.

I chose the imac simply because it had a really good screen, very fast 4 core which was faster than the 4 core xeon for far less with a 27" top of the line screen at the time. I have a feeling alot of mac pro users moved over to the imac simlar i me. I figured if im loosing my combustibility from the desktop why not choose the imac over it. I'm actually selling my 12 mac pro right now since i built a newer xeon e5 dual processor setup that i couldnt get out of the trash can models. I just wish i could keep osx, but windows 10 has been far better than i expected and turned out to be just as great as windows 7. If it wasnt for that i would have just held onto my mac desktop for longer. If the rumors are true though and the mac pro linup is going away, i have a feeling the 2009-2012 mac pros will become the top choice in the used market.

13. jerryk macrumors 68040

Maybe the will release a new Mac Pro that looks more like the old Mac Pros. And it will support off the shelf components like graphic cards, SSD drives or modules, memory modules, etc. There never was any need to make the trashcan looking Mac Pro.

14. buster84 thread starter macrumors 6502

Then that would prove that tim cooks new design was a complete failure and the only way to fix the problem is to go against that and based on all the feedback he received about removing the iphones headjack he didnt care even-though alot of people felt that it is a bad idea. If they bought back the towers it would definitely succeed again, but as long as tim cook is in charge it wont happen.

He thinks removing the headphone jack is a leap forward when in reality its a leap back in sound quality because of the design of battery. When we have high powered, small battery's that are capable of supplying huge amounts of watts for speakers with bass then it would be a success. There is a reason why bluetooth headphones never took over the market, they sound like poo and the ones that come with the iphone 7 will be the same.

Once people get them they will be very disjointedness and would rather have the wired headphones that came with all the other phones. When battery's became extremely efficient and can supply alot of power, that'll be the day where wireless headphones come out ahead. As it stands right now wireless rear speakers for home theaters are practically non-existent and for surround speakers that require the least amount of watts that truly shows that the technology is still not yet ready for pure wireless speakers.

15. grahamperrin macrumors 601

grahamperrin

16. jerryk macrumors 68040

I don't blame Cook, but rather Johnny Ives. Too much worrying about what the computer looks like, and no enough about how it performance and expand-ability for business users. That might be fine for a MacBook, but not necessary for a desktop/deskside system for something that is going to be used will external monitors and a keyboard, and have cables all over anyway.

17. haydn! macrumors 6502a

Some of the reactions are brilliant. Total overkill. Why are you surprised this model is being discontinued? New Mac's are weeks away - including a new Mac Pro.

18. buster84, Sep 10, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2016

buster84 thread starter macrumors 6502

Discontinued means exactly what that word means. Amazon never puts discontinued on any of the older products because the main product line is continuing. Just look at all their older MacBook pros they lost the older versions as just that "older" there not labeled as discontinued.

I would claim it's possible that it's a mistake but it's been this way for a few days now. Amazon is a billion $$ company they will get the inside info before anyone else.

19. haydn! macrumors 6502a

There are dozens are explanations, I really doubt we'll the discontinuation of the MacPro. The update timescale was not too dis-similar between the last two updates - and it's been widely speculated the delays are down to Intel not Apple.

What's to say Apple introduce an entirely new product line-up, not just new specs, but new names too? Wouldn't be the first time.