THE Mac Pro UPS

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by TheStrudel, Jun 4, 2008.

1. TheStrudel macrumors 65816

TheStrudel

After lots of forum hunting and reading up, this appears to be the UPS to get for the Mac Pro:
    http://www.onsale.com/shop/detail.a...6&cpncode=07-58254381-2&wt.mc_id=BWBPRICEGRAB

With the following features: 1500 VA, USB connectivity, AVR trim and AVR boost, as well as sine wave output, it seems to check off each box for features worth having for what I need. Anybody have one or one like it and good experiences with it, or alternatively, recommendations?

2. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

I have good success with APC products, but for my real mission-critical stuff I use Falcon UPS products. The sci-fi author Jerry Pournelle has recommended them for years since one took a lightning strike and protected everything downstream of it.

3. bcomer macrumors newbie

I use the APC SmartUPS 1500 described in the message above. I got two of them on the Dell Days of Deals for $199.00 CDN delivered. They have been great.

4. operator207 macrumors 6502

I use one of these for my servers: Smart-UPS 3000 RM With a web/snmp management card. Mainly to use with cacti to graph all things it will output. Temp, Voltage, Load, Frequency and Battery time remaining. It might be overkill for most, but since I got the device for free (perks at working at and ISP when they get a UPS designed to run the entire building) and have only had to buy batteries for it (~$100 every 2-3 years) its worth it.

It is heavy as hell though. I believe ~60lbs for the batteries alone, not including the 2 transformers inside the enclosure.