Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ab Ovo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Recent Mac convert here. Badly want the 24" white Mac desktop. From reading threads here I am a bit scared to chance either gainsaver or apple palace. It seems each has horror stories, yet also satisfied customers. Anyone know of a reliable source I could work with by mail-order? Thanks.

fireshot91

macrumors 601
Jul 31, 2008
Northern VA
Did they even have a White 24"? I thought it stopped at 20"?
EDIT: Nevermind, they did.

I'd go with the Aluminum 24".
Heck, even the 20" Aluminum would be a better purchase than the white 24".

striatedglutes

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2009
USA
Badly want the 24" white Mac desktop.

Going to guess he wants it for aesthetics. Why not help answer his question instead of trying to convince him otherwise?

I want an old boxy BMW M3. If someone tried to sell me a new one after telling them what I wanted, I would be insulted :(

OP: If you can't find any online, you might want to hit up your local university and see if you can find out if they have any/when they plan to get rid of them. I know we used some in the newspaper/yearbook office back in college.

edit: I have no idea where you live, but here's one in Raleigh, NC. No idea on the size: http://raleigh.craigslist.org/sys/1297138422.html

macrumorsMaster

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2008
Going to guess he wants it for aesthetics. Why not help answer his question instead of trying to convince him otherwise?

Why not just give your advice rather than bashing others who are just trying to be helpful?!
When you think of the ram expansion of the alum compared to the whites, the FSB, ram speed, etc. , you'd be silly not to at least ADVISE someone to think twice before getting the white. Then it's up to THAT person to decide how much they really need a computer with "WHITE".

Why not just put a white cover on it and reap the benefits of the newer alums'? :D:apple:

alexlovesmacs

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2008
If your looking for new your probably out of luck. But if you want used I would check craigslist or ebay.

AeroBar

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2009
Why not just give your advice rather than bashing others who are just trying to be helpful?!
When you think of the ram expansion of the alum compared to the whites, the FSB, ram speed, etc. , you'd be silly not to at least ADVISE someone to think twice before getting the white. Then it's up to THAT person to decide how much they really need a computer with "WHITE".

Why not just put a white cover on it and reap the benefits of the newer alums'? :D:apple:

striatedglutes didn't bash anyone. the OP asked about White MACS, then people started telling the OP to get a different one.

that is not what the OP asked of us, is it??

Ab Ovo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Well then ... THANKS striatedglutes and AeroBar, let's please sit sometime at the same table on QUEEN MARY 2 :)

On ship sites a poster might ask a specific question about a QM2 deck or dining room and then about 792 posts will then begin "well I've never been on QM2 but ..." :eek: I am coming to learn many Web boards do tend to address not the asked question and stray off topic. Ask a question, get an answer? Not always.

Yes, "the white Mac" I reference ... well, it IS a design thing. It's an icon for me. Like the BMW M3 :cool:

Some while ago I went into the Apple store on 5th Avenue, New York City, to buy a 24" Mac desktop; they were as suprised as I was that "just recently: they'd been shipped the new aluminum models. Same story down in SOHO. Dumbly I never thought to find old stock at once.

Doing the Web thing recently, both gainsaver and Apple Palace say they have the MA456LL/A. Both can do 500 GB hard drive; gainsaver 2 GB RAM, Apple Palace 3 GB. Both sites really do a good job in telling how they get their units and how they clean them out and re-spec. But ... there's this gnawing thing that says beware. So I posted to pick your brains.

It seems these things can be had for $1100 or so, and I was thinking: if two places are known, there may be more. I have checked the back-of-book ads for refurbs, etc., but mostly these offers are the aluminum units or laptops. The whites at my old school (good suggestion, that) are 18" & 20" ... so SOMEWHERE OUT THERE (do you hear the music?) is my Mac ... I press on! :)

Thanks for the input so far.

js81

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2008
KY
I understand completely - I LOVE my white iMac, though I would love a bigger screen. :) The only downside, really, is the RAM limitation - a little over 3GB - but to me its been fine at 3GB; just as quick as my wife's Macbook with 4GB. We have a 24" white iMac at the school where I teach and its awesome - and (importantly to me) it has a MATTE screen. I like the look of glossy, but matte is much easier on the eyes.

I have both a white iMac and a white Macbook - the pure white color to me screams Mac to everyone that sees it, while the aluminum ones are less pronounced. I like it, too. Get what you want.

BTW, how about this one? I buy almost all my Macs on eBay. :D

EDIT: Nevermind. Just saw the fine print - it has a scratch on the screen. Look on eBay, though - I saw a few there...

DesignerOnMac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2007
Now we're dancin' :D Many thanks! Scratch or not, the source Mac in the box.com is new to me, and one to keep haunting! This is just the help I wanted from the thread. Thanks.

ebay is an obvious choice, but did you check out powermax.com? They advertise on MacRumors. I have bought used, refurbished, and new Apple Computers from them and have been more than happy.

I purchased by 24" Rev A iMac from them and I am typing on it now.

Hope this helps.

mscriv

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Now we're dancin' :D

Powermax has several 24" White iMacs here.

Lowendmac gives a listing of "used" mac retailers here.

Madcomputing has one left here.

I would definitely check out your local Craigslist in fact one was just posted from someone in the Bronx today. Look here.

There's actually one for sale right now in the MacRumors marketplace, but you don't have the post count to be in there yet.

Best of luck in your search. And oh yea, google is your friend. :)

Ab Ovo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Thanks to all!

Ah, :) many thanks to all!

I've selected and talked with Smalldog and Powermax and Amazon .. all very impressive and I could not be more pleased. (I had been "spooked" by gainsaver and apple palace posts I had read of in different threads on this site; too, other sources worried me because they never returned calls, didn't have an 800 number, didn't take AMEX or VISA, etc.) Now my "white mac" is in the mail to me. Many thanks to all!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.