The MacBook Air I'd Get

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by ermir4444, Aug 2, 2010.

?

Wich MacBook Air You Would Get?

1. 11.6" MacBook Air - Mos portable Mac Ever

43 vote(s)
    28.7%
  2. 13.3" MacBook Air - Power and Portability

68 vote(s)
    45.3%
  3. 15.4" MacBook Air - Lightest Road Warrior

12 vote(s)
    8.0%
  4. I'm better off with a MacBook Pro

27 vote(s)
    18.0%
  1. ermir4444 macrumors regular

ermir4444

There is a lot of people waiting to get a MBA in this forum and my question is: Wich one would you?

11.6" MacBook Air - Most portable Mac ever. Smallest footprint ever, 0.5" thick, 2.25lb, full size keyboard (16:9 screen), Intel ULV i7 @ 1.33 & 1.46 and ATI 5430, decent battery life . 1499

13.3" MacBook Air - Power and portability. Full sized keyboard and screen.3 lb. Great battery life. Intel LV or ULV depending on cooling and ATI 5450. 1799

15" MacBook Air - Light traveling professional. High resolution screen, full sized keyboard great speakers.3.75 lb. Intel LV and ATI 5470. Greatest battery life of all Apple notebooks. 2099.

The above specs can be achieved if the next MBA does wout the tapering case and gets a new uniformly thick case at 0.5-0.6" thickness. Also the bezel around the screen should be decreased a lot to make for a smaller footprint.

2. Jayomat macrumors 6502a

Jayomat

Because I really want the battery life and 15" is just too big if you are on a train or sitting on a table with many students etc. An ultra-portable means to me that I do NOT have to carry the charger with me.. maybe it's just me, but that's the way it is :) I have no use for a 4 hour battery with only light CPU&GPU usage. Although my university belongs to the best (if not the best) technical universities in germany, we do not have outlets everywhere, and I'm certainly not only at campus when I'm not at home.

The problem is apple will not offer a matte screen for laptops under 15" anytime, that's why I will probably end up with my Lenovo X201s ;) (some future revision, as my macbook just doesn't want to die :p)

3. DiamondGCoupe macrumors 6502

Everyone is better off with a MBP, end of story. No sense in making the MBA smaller, just get an iPad at that point.. The only thing this computer is useful for anyways is e-mail, webbrowsing. All of which you can do on an iPad.

4. Jayomat macrumors 6502a

Jayomat

not again :rolleyes:

5. MacRuler macrumors 6502

it would be really amazing if they kept the 13 inch screen but eliminated the bezel, or made it mighty small. that would decrease the footprint by alot and we would still get all the performance. OR they could increase the screen size so that it would fill the space of the bezel on the current macbook airs. this would give us a 15-14 INCH macbook air with the same portability of the CURRENT macbook airs!

6. DiamondGCoupe macrumors 6502

:confused:

The MBA isn't as great as it is purported to be.

7. theappleguy macrumors 6502

Gee... how did I manage with a Rev A as my primary computer for the last two and a half years. :rolleyes: I admit that the Rev A isn't exactly the world's fastest computer, but the Rev B and Rev C are plenty powerful enough for people wanting to do the basics, like going online and a bit of word processing. Yes, a bit more power would be nice, yes storage does cause a bit of a problem and no, it won't be powerful enough for everyone. However, it is still a fully featured computer.

8. soph macrumors regular

Don't feed the trolls, they're not worth your time.

Even though I'd love a bigger screen than the current MBA, the footprint pushes the boundaries of my bag, so I'll vote for 13.3" for the time (say: design) being.

9. kryca macrumors member

since when do *you* know *my* requirements? :confused:

10. js81 macrumors 65816

js81

If battery power is your most important aspect (as it would be with me, too), then the current 13" MBP is perfect. I absolutely love NOT having to carry a charger. :)

11. Blondie :) macrumors 6502a

Blondie :)

I don't get why everyone's gotta be hating on everyone all the time for their personal preference of gear choice you know? The iPad will work better for some people, the MBA will work better for other people. Personally, I use a standard MB. It's all your choice...don't be hatin all up in everyone's grill lol

12. gri macrumors 6502a

gri

There have been hundreds of comments on that already. iPad is for consuming, MBA for producing. Can your iPad (I assume you have one) run PS, Prism? Save files? And - do you actually have a MBA to give an educated comment (no signature)?

13. mangrove macrumors 6502

I have both, Original MBA and original IP3G. I love both. The last comment were correct.

What would we do if the next MBA were faster with more RAM and had 3G built in, but switchable among carriers?

Ever since ATT let my email address out (and who knows what else) they can keep their 3G. I will avoid ATT 3G at all costs!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm about ready to get a USB 3G from say Verizon then I don't really need my iPad. Problem is my wife likes it more than the MBA.

14. Jayomat macrumors 6502a

Jayomat

yeah it's definitely a nice laptop, but I really want a matte screen and higher resolution display, both of which do not come with the 13"... I'd love to get the 15", but then again it's too big, "heavy" and last but not least expensive... :rolleyes:

15. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

I really would enjoy a 17" MacBook Air. Make it weigh under 4.5 pounds with no optical drive and .5 inch thich and you got a sale from me.

16. PhotoChuck macrumors newbie

Photo Tool

An iPad has no USB or memory sized for a photo trip. I carry pro level DSLR gear which is plenty heavy. On several overseas trips I have taken my Air and use Lightroom to download cards and grade more than 3000 images. My only complaint is the 128GB SSD since the last trip generated 125 GB of photos, need more space. No iPad is going to do this. A MBP would do the job but add several pounds to my load.

Anyone know if any current 256 GB SSD will fit in current MBA?

17. Blondie :) macrumors 6502a

Blondie :)

I thought all SSD's were the same size? Maybe I'm just messed in the head though :p haha

18. NDLeprechaun macrumors newbie

You can get SSDs just as you can get regular HDDs in 1.8 inch, 2.5 inch and 3.5 inch sizes.

Most 1.8 inch SSDs (that fit in the MBA) have not a lot of GBs, there is an Intel one with 160 and an OCZ with 240. Anything near 256 GB is currently probably the limit for 1.8 " SSDs.

19. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

I want the new MBA v 3,1 that is coming out next month.

New Aluminum Case Design. Not tapered. Looks like iPad from side 1/2" thick uniform. Weighs 3 lb. 13" IPS display. Allows more space for cooling and battery by eliminating the tapering.

Core i7-6x0LM Low Voltage CPU
    ATI 5430 7W GPU - http://www.amd.com/us/products/notebook/graphics/ati-mobility-hd-5400/Pages/hd-5430-specs.aspx
    4 GB RAM (I will upgrade to 8 GB for $400)
    6-Hour Battery
    256 GB SSD (1.8" LIF connector) Toshiba branded (possible that this will be a BTO upgrade also - possible 128 GB or 192 GB SSD standard and $300 upgrade to 256 GB SSD, but this would mean base would be $1899 with $300 for 256 GB SSD)

$2199 + $400 for 8 GB RAM upgrade... maybe the IPS display will be a BTO upgrade??? Maybe 3G/4G Verizon Wireless Card will be upgrade?

The base price of high end will jump by $100 to pay for ATI discrete. If the 256 GB SSD is standard in high end, it will bump price by $300 more. Takes us to $1899 or $2199 for high-end MBA.

This is the MBA I want... a high-end high performance MBA that competes with the MB/13"MBP in terms of power yet is super ultraportable.

20. iAir macrumors newbie

THERE YOU GO AGAIN!

21. ozreth macrumors 65816

ozreth

You Are forgetting that we are talking About an updated Air: i3, 4gb ram, ati or nvidia card, at least 200gb ssd.

How is that not a solid computer? Especially with the form factor of the air.

22. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

I'm better off with a MBP. Its light enough for me :D

23. kernkraft macrumors 68020

kernkraft

4GB RAM would be essential but I don't see the optional 8GB. That would mean a compromise in size. But soldered 4GB will still make most people very happy.

Absolutely no super-glossy nightmare, please! Matte or antiglare screens are essential, even as an option.

The glass multitouch trackpad from the MBP is a must again.

Better ventilation: currently the holes can be easily covered.

I don't know whether with newer generations, the hinges were fixed or not, but I had some issues with my first generation Airs. So proper hinges, please.

SSDs or those small HDDs, I'm not fussy. After all, the storage is the only user-replaceable part of the Air. 120GB standard for the HDD and 80GB for the SSD is fine by me.

Finally, in terms of processing power I expect 2.26-2.53GHz C2Ds or 1.8-2.26 i3s. I think it's a realistic expectation.

One more thing...

I wish we saw a complete overhaul! The current shape is very nice, but a bit more masculinity and less curves would me want one. 11-15" is fine.

24. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

Apple uses a top tier CPU series in the MBA. The direct replacement for the SL9x00 C2D CPU is the Core i7-6x0LM. I don't get why people would want Apple to go to an inferior Core i3. In addition, Intel doesn't make a Core i3 under 35W TDP. At that, the MBA would be a FRYING PAN not an ultraportable computer. The Core i3 is NO WAY going to be in an MBA unless it's a 27" ultraportable MBA...

People need to be realistic about what CPUs are available. There is no SL9x00 CPU beyond the current SL9600. Intel is DONE making C2D CPUs. Intel wants to sell their pointless and worthless IGP to everyone, so why would they go ahead and make Apple a faster SL9x00 to allow it to avoid the Core i-series IGP? NOT going to happen. If it's a C2D, it's a 2.13 GHz SL9600... hence, not going to be C2D.

We are going to get either a Core i7-6x0LM or a Core i5/i7-6x0UM. It's either low voltage at 25W with probably an ATI 5430 at 7W or an ultra low voltage with Intel's POS IGP in an 11.6" MBA. I don't see Apple only using Intel's IGP unless it truly makes an 11.6" MBA... even that doesn't make sense... UNLESS, Apple is going to install iOS on the MBA instead of OS X.

I really believe it's more likely that we'll get 15" MBAs than 11" MBAs. I think the 13" MBA is a no brainer. Smaller bezel, smaller size, uniform thickness around 1/2" and no 12-hour battery unless we get STUCK with Intel's POS IGP.

25. kernkraft macrumors 68020

kernkraft

Obviously, your knowledge on processor is much superior to mine. I didn't know that the i3s have a heat issue, I just assumed that they are cheap and power efficient enough to be put into the Air and the 13" MBPs. But still, I don't see Apple putting a very strong processor into the Air... unless as you claim, it makes sense in terms of heat. But it's certainly the opposite of what I imagined.

I might get back to you when the new Air comes out. :)