The MacBook Air is ideal for Android users, poor for iPhone users

Mildredop

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 14, 2013
My MacBook Air arrived a couple of days ago, and the single best feature is the fact I can charge the Mac using my phone charger (or my phone using the Mac charger).

I now only need to carry one small charger rather than my phone charger and a heavy mag safe charger.

I can also use my wonderful Sennheiser headphones with both my phone and my new MacBook Air because they both have a 3.5mm headphone jack.

But if you have an iPhone, you can't do this. You'll need to bring your iPhone charger or, if you want to charge your iPhone off your Air, you'll at least need a Lightning to USBC adaptor.

So why have Apple done this? Why don't Apple's products interface with each other nicely whereas it works seamlessly with Android?

hans1972

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2010
My MacBook Air arrived a couple of days ago, and the single best feature is the fact I can charge the Mac using my phone charger (or my phone using the Mac charger).

I now only need to carry one small charger rather than my phone charger and a heavy mag safe charger.

I can also use my wonderful Sennheiser headphones with both my phone and my new MacBook Air because they both have a 3.5mm headphone jack.

But if you have an iPhone, you can't do this. You'll need to bring your iPhone charger or, if you want to charge your iPhone off your Air, you'll at least need a Lightning to USBC adaptor.

So why have Apple done this? Why don't Apple's products interface with each other nicely whereas it works seamlessly with Android?
You probably haven't seen something called a USB-C-to-Ligtning cable.

Mildredop

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 14, 2013
You probably haven't seen something called a USB-C-to-Ligtning cable.
I can't see it in the box. Just a USBC to USBC cable which is perfect for connecting to both the Mac and my android phone.

Does a USBC to Lightning cable come with a new iPhone...?

(I'll give you a clue: no)

Velin

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2008
Hearst Castle
The company probably should have moved to USB-C sooner. Though I can understand Apple's delay; currently USB-C is a total mess, with all manner of differing speed and power standards depending on port, cable, motherboard I/O, and target device. You need to look very carefully at what you are buying, else you'll end up with some junko USB-A 2.0 performance at a very expensive USB-C 3.2 price. I bet many thousands of people get duped every day. Also, USB-C external storage options still suck and are grossly overpriced, when compared with USB-A.

But USB-C will be the new Apple standard and Lightning will die, because USB-C already is outclassing it. It started with the new iPad Pro 11 and 12.9 (great devices), they have USB-C. All products will follow.

Lioness~

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2017
Everything cordwise is moving towards USB-C, get used to it.
USB-C is the future.
Meanwhile, buy a few cords, a hub, and you'll be fine.
Surely you can afford that if you can afford a MBA.

Last edited:
Reactions: chabig

New_Mac_Smell

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2016
Shanghai
I think the iPhone's lack the USB-C as currently it's only really used for charging/syncing with iTunes, so there's not a need for a feature fledged USB interface. The reason for moving to USB-C is just unity with other devices, which will happen, hopefully next year.

In the meantime though, I just use a USB-C/Lightning cable and it's all fine. Or a wireless pad.

I'm more concerned with the 3.5mm situation. I had my phone/ipad/macbook on the desk the other day, and I noticed I now needed 3 different adapters to plug in some headphones - which isn't great, one must just buy AirPods I suppose.

Reactions: TinyChip

Velin

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2008
Hearst Castle
I'm more concerned with the 3.5mm situation. I had my phone/ipad/macbook on the desk the other day, and I noticed I now needed 3 different adapters to plug in some headphones - which isn't great, one must just buy AirPods I suppose.
Wired is still superior, especially headsets with mics for telephone calls and speaking

jeremiah256

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2008
Southern California

Airports. I travel and love having access to charging stations just using my Lightning to USB-A cable out the box. That said, I'm already living the dongle life so when the switch happens, I'll be ready to carry an additional cable.

Howard2k

macrumors 68030
Mar 10, 2016

Yeah that's pretty complex. I'd return it for sure.

Mildredop

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 14, 2013
Everything cordwise is moving towards USB-C, get used to it.
USB-C is the future.
Meanwhile, buy a few cords, a hub, and you'll be fine.
Surely you can afford that if you can afford a MBA.
Who is this aimed at?
[doublepost=1542267847][/doublepost]
Headphone adapter. Leave it on your headphones.
Until you want to use the headphones in your MacBook Air and you need to remove the adaptor.

Mildredop

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 14, 2013
To whom it may concern. Tech evolution with cords changing is a fact.
It's not Apple's fault.
Well if it's aimed at me, I think you should read my OP again.

Everything I own how charges using USB-C - my phone, Go Pro, digital camera etc. etc. The only thing that didn't was my Mac, which the new MacBook Air has addressed.

I just can't believe how annoying it must be if you also have an iPhone and you don't have the convenience that having an Android phone gives you.

tromboneaholic

Suspended
Jun 9, 2004
Clearwater, FL
I just can't believe how annoying it must be if you also have an iPhone and you don't have the convenience that having an Android phone gives you.
You realize there are USB-C to lightning cables that address this made up issue you keep coming back to?

Anyone can charge an iPhone from an iPad or MacBook using it.

I don't understand the need to create a contrived controversy like this when there are actual issues that merit discussion.

Reactions: HenryDJP

stratokaster

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2011
Dublin, IE
Well, the OP's observation regarding the headphone interface isn't made up at all. If you own any recent MacBook, an iPhone 7 or newer and one of the new iPad Pros, you have to use two different adapters if you want to use your headphones with all three devices. Yes, AirPods are great (probably the best wireless headphones out there), but they provide only about 30% of the sound quality that my wired headphones provide, plus it's another thing that needs charging every day.

Regarding USB-C to Lightning cables: I own two, and I think 40 goddamn euros for a cable is absolutely ridiculous. The only reason Apple can get away with this highway robbery is because they apparently refuse to certify 3rd party cables. Oh well, at least they don't seem to self-destruct unlike Apple's regular cables.

Ma2k5

macrumors 68020
Dec 21, 2012
London
Well, the OP's observation regarding the headphone interface isn't made up at all. If you own any recent MacBook, an iPhone 7 or newer and one of the new iPad Pros, you have to use two different adapters if you want to use your headphones with all three devices. Yes, AirPods are great (probably the best wireless headphones out there), but they provide only about 30% of the sound quality that my wired headphones provide, plus it's another thing that needs charging every day.

Regarding USB-C to Lightning cables: I own two, and I think 40 goddamn euros for a cable is absolutely ridiculous. The only reason Apple can get away with this highway robbery is because they apparently refuse to certify 3rd party cables. Oh well, at least they don't seem to self-destruct unlike Apple's regular cables.
Apple's ports are an inconsistent mess, as is their iPad/MacBook product lineup at the moment. Give it a few more years and it'll probably all be resolved.