the macbook air's aluminum body is multitouch sensitive?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by hassoon, Jun 13, 2012.

1. hassoon, Jun 13, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2012

hassoon macrumors regular

hi, i was watching the new video that apple posted on youtube called "Apple - OS X Mountain Lion" and at 2:44 there is a girl using a MacBook Air while the narrator is talking about the new notification center. what surprised me is that when the narrator says that to view the notification center you have to swipe to the left, the girl actually touch with two fingers the aluminum part next to the multitouch trackpad and the screen actually respond before even touching the multitouch trackpad. If the screen didn't respond i would have said that her fingers were hovering over the aluminum and then she touched the trackpad, but it seems she already touched the aluminum part. Am I hallucinating or apple missed something to announce at the WWDC. Here are the attached pictures of the parts that i'm talking about in three instances of the video. The first picture shows the normal screen, you can look at the right edge of the screen where the notification center should appear and there's nothing. The second picture shows the girl touching the aluminum body and the screen actually moved a little bit and you can see very close that the notifications are appearing while her fingers didn't touch yet the glass. the third picture shows that the notification center is showing and the glass isn't touched yet. p.S: watch the video if the pictures aren't clear.

Attached Files:

• 1.png
      1.png
      File size:
      206 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      44 KB
      Views:
    • 3.png
      3.png
      File size:
      205.9 KB
      Views:
  2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Looks more like poor acting to me. Seems like Apple plays a screen recording while the actor just goes through the motions.

3. hassoon thread starter macrumors regular

haha ya i was thinking the same thing.

4. dominicdiep macrumors member

5. dcorban macrumors 6502a

dcorban

I was actually wondering about this. At the keynote, it was mentioned that you "swipe from the right with two fingers" to bring up notifications. This seemed odd to me, since we currently swipe from the right with two fingers to advance a page (safari, calendar, etc). Are they changing the default configuration again?

6. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

That will only happen if the app is "live" right? I'm assuming the notification comes across when you're on the desktop?

7. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

I think the trackpad recognizes when a swipe is started from the side rather than on the trackpad itself, if this makes sense...

8. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

that would be a bit difficult with the desktop trackpad.

9. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

Well, I don't have one to test but maybe someone else can. However, I think it's smart enough to tell when the swipe comes from the edge of the trackpad... otherwise I'm out of ideas :)

10. sporadicMotion macrumors 65816

sporadicMotion

This is right.

Works surprisingly well.