The Macbook and Macbook Pro are now too similar

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mark88, Oct 14, 2008.

1. mark88 macrumors 6502a

Seems to me the lines between the MB and MBP have become so blurred the "Pro" tag doesn't really mean anything anymore...

The 2.4ghz Macbook has IDENTICAL specs of the 2.4ghz Macbook Pro apart from the screen size and graphics. Both have same CPU, FSB, Cache, Memory, HDD, keyboard

Also, they now have the same build quality, materials, asthetics, glossy screens only, backlit keyboards.

You could stick the word 'Pro' on the end of the new 2.4ghz macbook and who would know?

I don't quite understand why they didn't simply introduce a 13" MBP and continue with the plastic Macbooks at much lower prices. They make some odd decisions.

In the keynote Steve said Macbook users want metal enclosure and faster graphics etc. Sure they do but isn't that what made the Pro version the pro version? Now it's a spot the difference competition.

2. akm3 macrumors 68020

Pro gets you Firewire, increased resolution, and a more powerful 3D graphics card, as well as options for faster CPUs, and larger standard hard drives.

Those all seems like things pros would want?

I like what they did, though I'm sad there is no Firewire on the base macbooks, I have several Firewire 400 drives, and camcorder with the connection, and use Target disk mode from time to time. I don't think a Macbook would meet my needs now.

3. mark88 thread starter macrumors 6502a

It's a sad day when a firewire port is one of the top reasons to go "pro"

4. r00 macrumors member

Honestly... I see it as a 13" MBP which is exactly what I've been waiting for. A 13" Aluminum MacBook with LED back-lit screen, back-lit keyboard, decent CPU, RAM, and HDD specs along with a suitable graphics card. Yeah I see a 13" MBP. I'm sold.

5. Knolly macrumors 6502a

I fail to see this as a bad thing...

The main difference is the screen size and graphics card, which is I believe around 3 times more powerful than the Macbook's integrated graphics (Don't quote me on it).

So my question to you is:
    Do you just want to have a "Pro" item so you look cool and are just frustrated that you'll be less recognized? Otherwise, if you only needed the things in the Macbook, I fail to see why you'd be complaining that you could get everything you needed for cheaper.

6. LinMac macrumors 65816

I don't know what the OP expects to be different between the MB and MBP, but I can name a few things I want to see:

1) Matte screen. I don't see Apple keeping the glossy only beyond this experiment in trying to do away with the matte displays.

2) Unified data port supporting Firewire 400/800, eSATA, etc with adapters. I mostly use USB devices, but I wouldn't mind having the ability to use eSATA with an adatper.

3) Tighter integration with the iPhone via bluetooth. I would like to use is as a modem, sync my data with it, and so on without needing to dig out cables.

I'll have to update this again after actually using the new Macbook Pro, but I'm sure I can think of something else.

7. strikeinsilence macrumors 6502

That sums it up pretty well. It's sad really. I remember when the Powerbook was like "wow a powerbook!" then it was like "oh, a Macbook Pro", now that they all look the same people will be saying "nice Macbook" "oh actually it's a pro." "Really?"

8. makowb macrumors member

9. Coldwater macrumors member

The point WAS to blur the lines. The high end MB is now the choice for the on-the-fence people who don't want to spend for a MBP and want a smaller footprint or wished they could have a 13.3" notebook with a bit more power and style.

I fail to see the problem here.

10. emt1 macrumors 65816

Awww... poor baby.

11. MacLadybug macrumors 6502a

MacLadybug

I like that they didn't save all the "Good Stuff" for high end products only!

I like that they didn't save all the "good stuff" for the high end/luxury line. I think that was a cool move. Everyone can enjoy most everything now... and if your work calls for more... you buy the one with more.

12. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

It says that it does have it in the apple store though. There have been conflicting reports even from people calling in to ask if it had it.

13. cantthinkofone macrumors 65816

cantthinkofone

I think they should be this way. The names finally fit.

The macbook is a great computer. And if you need or want a little extra bang, you can get the pro.

I'm still fuming over firewire on the macbook.

14. donga macrumors 6502a

donga

the visual similarities are obvious, but the tech specs are still consumer/professional

15. JWest macrumors 6502

As I pointed out in another thread, the new MBP also ships in a white box, which looks less "pro" to me.

[​IMG]

16. afornander macrumors 6502

i must admit, the white box for the pro doesn't really say "pro" im not saying that it wouldnt change my choice of whether i would buy it or not at all, but to me, white= end-user black=pro

17. Brien macrumors 68030

Brien

All the laptops, even the Air, ship in a white box. All the iPods ship in white 'boxes' (actually clear cases with white backgrounds).

And the new ACD ships in a white box.

It's not them bashing the Pro, rather I think it's to save ink and 'go green'.

18. MowingDevil macrumors 68000

MowingDevil

Actually thats a GREAT point imo. Why would Apple listen to this alleged "consumer feedback" when they just announced the plastic MacBook as the "The Best Selling Mac. Ever." Why screw w/ that so much? It was plastic, it had firewire, it was cheaper than the Pro, it was what it was. If you have a winner, why mess with it? I agree, a Pro at 13" would have made sense. Just checked and they have KEPT The FireWire 400 port on the white MB.

19. MowingDevil macrumors 68000

MowingDevil

Do you realize how pathetic that sounds?

20. shoulin333 macrumors 6502a

... Well i guess if you need to feel self important and want people to know you are "better" than other people, this would be a let down for you....

...people complain about good things at lower price points... wtf

21. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

22. darfel macrumors member

I think you nailed it. This will bring in the lightweight travelers that don't want the Air and require more power. I think more first time Mac users will buy more of them too, those who think a 15" MBP is too much for them.