The MacBook is a machine too!

GMacDaddyTPO

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 21, 2007
Alright so, after browsing these forums fairly secretly for a few months now, learning my way into the Apple world, I've noticed one thing on here that is especially prominent.

The MacBook is regarded as a bit of a toy.

Pretty much every thread where someone asks what to buy, and suggests a MacBook, they are steered away. It's crazy!

I've owned my Black 2.16GHz Intel C2D, 2GB RAM, for about 3 weeks now, and I can tell you, this bad boy can hold his own against my friends MacBook Pros, Alienwares, and custom gaming laptops. I took it to a LAN party, and while the settings weren't at max, I was playing Company of Heroes with 6 other players with no lag.

Just because it doesn't have dedicated graphics, or a fancy-shmancy light up keyboard doesn't mean this bad boy can't pack a punch.

JMHO

A proud MacBook owner.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Mate, I couldn't agree with you more. I swear some of the people 'round here must actually be made of money. They seem to upgrade every update to the latest and greatest Mac each time.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
Singapore
thats nice man :) good to hear that your proud of your computer. i agree with you that the MB's arent a toy. they are far from it!! your MB is actually faster than my MBP. (which sucks lol) the only difference nowadays is the graphics card, the LED screen and bigger screen... thats really it between the two.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
I took it to a LAN party, and while the settings weren't at max, I was playing Company of Heroes with 6 other players with no lag.
I'm sure being on a LAN didn't help at all.

I've played CoH on a GeForce 6200 and that was painful. I don't want to experience the GMA950. The game runs on anything at Low settings though which still amazes me.

CrAzYoNe

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2007
Here comes the Mackbook Pro for a counter-attack.

Pew Pew Lazur Bheemzes.

Sleek, sexy, POWafull. Pro ftw.

GusR9

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2007
I love my one week old macbook!! But right I'm a little frustrated because I'm suffering kernel panics related to AirPort..

CrAzYoNe

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2007
You should be able to get 50-80% on eBay for a Macbook. I don't see whats wrong with upgrading to have the best. I just don't do it very often, well Once a year isn't often I don't think.

A Pittarelli

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2007
im a big fan of my macbook, as long as you have 2gigs or more of ram, you can do quite well in all but 3d games

aaron.lee2006

macrumors 65816
Feb 23, 2006
Ontario, Canada
Mate, I couldn't agree with you more. I swear some of the people 'round here must actually be made of money. They seem to upgrade every update to the latest and greatest Mac each time.
Not me :p I just had to many broken / DOA machines they kept throwing me upgraded MacBook Pros every replacement :) But I would like to save money and get an iMac :)

iToaster

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2007
In front of my MacBook Pro
I liked my old MB a lot, but to tell the truth, I really needed something dedicated in the VRAM and GPU area for my 3D design and amateur animation. If the MB had a dedicated graphics deal in it, I would have kept it, but now that I've gone Pro, I must say that I can't go back... ever. I love both, though my Pro more, but I can still see my old baby whenever I want. If I hadn't sold it to my dad I prolly would have thrown a SSD in it and acted like it was ulra-portable... oh well. I'm not opposed to the MB, really I'm not, it's just that the Pro is on a different level. I always get , for lack of a better phrase, made fun of for my Macs at school, they though the MB could barely power it's screen with the GMA 950... I insisted that it was very capable. Boy did they eat that when they saw my end of the year movie :D. Was that too long?

byakuya

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2007
I totally agree.
I also own a Macbook (white, 2GHz, c2d, nov 2006) and have to say: this is a little hell machine. It's so powerful it puts away some of the cheap desktop pcs. If you're not a hardcore gamer who plays the newest games all day long this machine is just the best. And even if you are the occasional gamer the good old classics (WC III Frozenthrone, UT2004, Quake3 Arena, etc.) run very well using Boot Camp

byakuya

Alloye

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2007
Rocklin, CA
While I'm a MacBook Pro owner myself, I agree the MacBook is an excellent computer. I especially adore its magnetic latch and user-replaceable hard drive. Those are two features the Pro currently lacks.

In any case, I have a few friends who own MacBooks and simply love 'em. That's all that really matters.

devman

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2004
AU
Yep, add my voice to the chorus. I have a MBP17 right now and had a PB15 earlier. But in between those two I had a MB for about a year and they are AWESOME machines. I like the new form factor over the iBooks and the mag latch is a dream. Plus the awesome airport reception compared to the MBPs.

They are great machines.

Osarkon

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2006
Wales
I have one of the original CD macbooks and it's still going strong 12 months down the road, it can handle anything I can throw at it apart from games obviously. I only have 1gig of Ram in it and it's more than enough. I get pretty much the same performance out of it that I do with my Vista desktop which has 2 gig of RAM and a C2D processor with dedicated graphics.

Killyp

macrumors 68040
Jun 14, 2006
I love my MacBook too, it's a fantastic machine. Very very rugged, very fast and beautifully built/designed.

Having also owned a MacBook Pro (the MacBook is actually my dad's), there's a good reason to steer away from the MacBook if you're using it as a main machine. The MacBook Pro gives you an idea of what a laptop can really be like to use at length...

Still, that doesn't mean the MacBook is a toy. It's an incredibly good laptop, one of the best on the market IMO.

gloss

macrumors 601
May 9, 2006
around/about
Love my MacBook. The only thing I miss, really, is discrete graphics.

But that's what the upcoming iMac's for, right?

munckee

macrumors 65816
Oct 27, 2005
I have a MacBook for my design/photography work and it's stood up just fine so far, so I'd have to agree. It took some self control not to listen to the "buy the MBP"ers out there when I was debating, but I'm glad I chose what I did. I think that there is a huge tendency on this site to steer people toward more computer than they need.

JACKN

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2007
My parents are considering my new MBP is my most expensive "TOY". What I really want to say is toy is a toy, Computer is a Computer.

By the way I found dogy graphic cards are hard to take. I'm a final year Mechanical Engineering student. Taken me two days to do the program on Matlab for 3D heat transfer simulation graphs. It's already pretty pissed me off. On Uni computers with onboard graphis; it told 2 mins to do one graph and another 2 to place in world. the PC felt like freezed during the time. I had to do like ten graphs. Luckily I just made the assignment deadline. That's one of my bad memories on dogy computers. I wouldn't like to try that again!!! Not to mention no probo 3D Cards = can't play games proberly :mad: